Kotaku/Jason Schreier discouraging people from pre-ordering

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/440166334505054208

Followed the Neogaf thread which had this in it.

I got inside word from Schrier posting on a "secret" forum, he says it's a "technical mess" and "shorter than I expected" but "the combat system owns tho".

Now the worst I've heard before that was *Slowdown on PS3* with some saying it performs well and now its OHMYGODITZBROKEN!!! ?

Does/Did somebody watch the streams and can confirm that?

This whole thing is giving me a headache.

Guy works at Kotaku so I don't really care what he says. I rather believe the random guys on that same "secret" forum who say it has been awesome.

Or maybe I should play it myself and see if I like it or not.

Also, embargo is not lifted yet? I don't know how much you can say before it is considered that you are breaking an embargo but to me that sounds like he told too much.

Edit: This is from the "secret" forum:

Based on watching the streams, gonna have to say none of those three things are true.

Edited by Apatia

Seems to me like Kotaku just pissed off Ubisoft. The NDA/embargo is there for a reason (I think with Ubisoft they pretty much always have it end on release day) and going around it like that won't make them any friends.

But from what I've heard this guy is full of ****.

Hate the living, love the dead.

If you're really worried about the game's quality, just wait until you can get some impressions from people you trust. Hell, there are already streams of complete playthroughs out there (no doubt most of them based on pirated copies, but what can you do?) so it shouldn't be too difficult to check out those claims.

Anyway, Schreier isn't really wrong with his tweet. Pre-ordering is almost never a good idea, especially before the reviews go up, and should really only be done if you have a really deep trust in the dev and care for some special edition/bonus you can only get that way.

• Like 2

If you're really worried about the game's quality, just wait until you can get some impressions from people you trust. Hell, there are already streams of complete playthroughs out there (no doubt most of them based on pirated copies, but what can you do?) so it shouldn't be too difficult to check out those claims.Anyway, Schreier isn't really wrong with his tweet. Pre-ordering is almost never a good idea, especially before the reviews go up, and should really only be done if you have a really deep trust in the dev and care for some special edition/bonus you can only get that way.

Well, yes. That should be common sense. The tweet however makes it sound like something is wrong with the game.

Discouraging from pre-ordering is nothing wrong, in fact, I do it myself. Pre-ordering is only for die-hard fans (AKA fanbois). But passive-aggressive tweet like that isn't very nice. Good to know Oz Kotaku has their own idiots as well. It might be related to the autocensorship though (judging by spoilery this).