What you did today

LadyCrimson

Terminated my job contract, which means I have work until June 30. I'll see what I do next, but being treated like dirt with crap pay doesn't cut it anymore. (Contract expired in 2016.) Most likely, I will start studying again. Still undecided on a couple of programs.

Thinking of that myself.  Best of luck.

Thanks. It's never an easy decision, but I felt so good when I finally decided. I'm in my late 20's and have come up with many excuses as to why I should not go back and study. Looking at those excuses objectively, it dawned on me, that they are merely excuses. A close friend's wife, is now a boss at some company and she resumed her studies at 30+ with three kids. There is also another thing I have in mind if I don't get accepted to any of the Universities I apply to later in the month. That "thing" will have to wait for now. Worst case scenario is that i crawl back to my employer (not very likely unless welfare is the only option).

I've never stopped studying and I'm in my late 20's.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

This seem to be a common thing these days, recession (I'm sure is a depression) hits hard.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

My brother went back to classes to get his masters etc. and such when he was in his 30's, divorced w/a daughter. Hectic time for him, driving all over the Bay every day/week (lived/worked in North Bay, ex wife/daughter in East bay, school in SW Bay.....). But he thrives on that sort of thing and in the end it all worked out very well for him. :)

Today I've been reflecting on how much one can change in 10 years. Some aspects may always feel like we haven't changed at all  - yet as life experiences come and go, sometimes we slowly discover exactly how flexible we really can be. And in the end, finally realize maybe we've changed a lot more than we thought we did.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I've never stopped studying and I'm in my late 20's.

Same here. Indecisiveness FTW(?) Maybe I'm just waiting for my parents to kick the bucket and leave their house to me so I can jump a few rungs in society and qualify as a home/landowner without putting in the work of saving up money for a down payment and then 30 years of monthly payments (and rent out rooms, leveraging a free property into a source of income from which to launch a glorious real-estate empire.) I don't incur debts. I learned that much from economics, at the very least. Debt might drive the economy, but on an individual level it's never a good thing (unless you're the lender and your victi-*AHEM*-customers have enough assets to cover the loss if they fail to pay it back.)

Couldn't celebrate the holiday of my people (Americans of Irish descent who believe themselves to be 100% purebred Irishmen despite never having set foot there and whose only experience of Irish culture is leprechauns and Guinness; i.e. a bunch of overgrown fratboys, both in terms of age and girth,) St. Patrick's Day because of finals on Monday and Tuesday, the drinking deferred now begins and lasts until the next term begins.

This seem to be a common thing these days, recession (I'm sure is a depression) hits hard.

Yeah, I'm thinking of going into an infallible industry like waste disposal while taking survival classes on the side. Bases: covered. IT is well and good, but all those IT professionals generate a lot of cheeto-based waste products, and they don't want said products to linger in their homes. Well, most of them, anyway.

Edited by AGX-17

Woke up with an annoying crick in my neck, and that background headache. So moving on with my day, but background music is jumping from Barry White to Garth Brooks to Bon Jovi..   I think we can safely say my mood is a touch scattered.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Yesterday I lifted weights like a madman (Shoulder, neck and triceps day) resulting in a mild episode of insomnia.  Exercise without proper sleep always gives me high blood pressure which makes me ultra...excitable. Needless to say the work in the office was as much of a chore for me as it was for my co-workers. Meh, glad the day is over. 

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Today I have come to terms with the fact that I like that awful 90's euro dance/pop music, don't judge me.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Had a yearly service done to my car. Left the auto repair shop $1000 poorer.

Got. To. Love. Audi.

(then I drive it home, burn past a couple of Toyotas and Beamers on the way and suddenly all is forgiven again)

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

That is the one thing I like about my Ford Pickup Truck, the service is pretty cheap.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Birthday approaches tomorrow, feeling rather indifferent.  Also managed to badly burn my hand today, stupid mistake while helping a friend burn some rubbish in his yard, now my right hand is all blistered up and throbbing...still, I get to be whacked up on painkillers for a while so it's not all bad  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

That is the one thing I like about my Ford Pickup Truck, the service is pretty cheap.

I've hardly spent anything on service on my Subaru Legacy in the past 15 years, outside of oil changes, tires and a new battery now and then. But I also haven't been a "typical" driver for the past 10. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Terminated my job contract, which means I have work until June 30. I'll see what I do next, but being treated like dirt with crap pay doesn't cut it anymore. (Contract expired in 2016.) Most likely, I will start studying again. Still undecided on a couple of programs.

Thanks. It's never an easy decision, but I felt so good when I finally decided. I'm in my late 20's and have come up with many excuses as to why I should not go back and study. Looking at those excuses objectively, it dawned on me, that they are merely excuses. A close friend's wife, is now a boss at some company and she resumed her studies at 30+ with three kids. There is also another thing I have in mind if I don't get accepted to any of the Universities I apply to later in the month. That "thing" will have to wait for now. Worst case scenario is that i crawl back to my employer (not very likely unless welfare is the only option).

Meanwhile, I'm in my early thirties, have a a phd level law degree in addition to the ll.m. required to practice around here, additionally have over 4 years of practical work experience in law, and have been working since I was 15 (as a barista)... and can't basically get any decent work. ;)

Mostly I don't even get interviewed due to some bs excuses like "he won't stay"... not even for contracts. :p

• Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Meanwhile, I'm in my early thirties, have a a phd level law degree in addition to the ll.m. required to practice around here, additionally have over 4 years of practical work experience in law, and have been working since I was 15 (as a barista)... and can't basically get any decent work. ;)

Mostly I don't even get interviewed due to some bs excuses like "he won't stay"... not even for contracts. :p

Thats scary that someone of your work experience can't find work ...

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Birthday approaches tomorrow, feeling rather indifferent.  Also managed to badly burn my hand today, stupid mistake while helping a friend burn some rubbish in his yard, now my right hand is all blistered up and throbbing...still, I get to be whacked up on painkillers for a while so it's not all bad  :thumbsup:

Happy B-day :)

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I've hardly spent anything on service on my Subaru Legacy in the past 15 years, outside of oil changes, tires and a new battery now and then. But I also haven't been a "typical" driver for the past 10. :lol:

Well, most cars have something called a service book. It's page after page of "absolutely essential" yearly services you just have to make for the car to retain its value. You go to the repair shop every year and get a little stamp of approval in that stupid book and pay through your nose for the favour. Just the oil in my car costs $100+ per oil change! I had only driven 7700 km since the last service..

Edit: not per liter, per oil change.

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Yay, tomorrow is a public holiday in South Africa..Human Rights Day. I'm resisting all invites to large parties this weekend and plan to chill and game over the next 3 days. I'm also taking out this girl I took out last week, I really like her. We are going to drive outside JHB to a dam called Hartebeespoort, there are loads of bars and restaurants and cool things to see and do....there is Cheese Farm called Van Galens which sells Dutch cheeses and they arrange picnics .

Anyway it should be a nice break :dancing:

• Like 2

John Milton 

Mentally distracted a lot lately. One big situation I've been dealing with for a while, a couple more recent smaller ones, all potentially life altering in some way, mostly emotionally but also other ways. I know I'm being vague, not ready to be less vague.

Some days it catches up and feels like swimming through taffy. Like staring at pad of paper because you were going to write a simple grocery list and then realizing you haven't written anything for 20 minutes. I mean, that happens to me occasionally anyway, but now it's happening a lot more often. :lol: At least the days have continued to be quite nice. I bought some more live-catnip pots for the windowsill. Some people have window gardens full of thyme and basil or whatever ... I have catnip.

Do you speak Afrikaans?

I do but I am an English South African so my understanding of Afrikaans is better than how I speak it :)

John Milton 

Today I was in the gun store and while I had to wait for the gunsmith who was busy with customers I couldn't stop thinking of a

I had to fight the urge to burst out in laughter the entire time I was in the store. 

My brain has an annoying habit of making me think of inappropriate things in all kinds of situations, just out of the blue.  

Do you speak Afrikaans?

I do but I am an English South African so my understanding of Afrikaans is better than how I speak it :)

I've always wondered, does this make you feel a little bit like a foreigner in your native country?

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Visiting my fave Red Sox blogs again and starting to think about baseball. :)

Watching Arsenal screw it up. I am done with this team, better stuff to do on weekends

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra