What you did today

LadyCrimson

Still, joking aside, I always find it somewhat amusing when bodybuilders or martial artists or ex-soldiers or what-have-you talk about standing up to opposition and stuff. Having a backbone is so much easier when you can turn the other guy inside out in 10 seconds or less.

Physical strength is just a tiny fragment in the complex mosaic that is ''having backbone.'' 

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Physical strength is just a tiny fragment in the complex mosaic that is ''having backbone.''

Doesn't hurt to have it, tho, at least in certain situations. :p

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

In general being physically strong is the foundation for a hell of a lot of backbone because you know you can "take" most anyone who comes for you.

• Like 1

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Physical courage is important, but I'd say moral courage is the real backbone. If only because it's much easier to just 'not notice' the crises.

Speaking as someone who's gone from a good deal of strength to almost none I'd also be careful about getting on a high horse about your own physical courage - without meaning to be rude. As has been said, it still mightn't be easy, but it's certainly easier to look brave going into a fight you are confident of winning.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Well, I managed to fall asleep a couple of hours earlier last night...

Then got woken up a few hours earlier by someone phoning me.

I kind of feel that there could be a deity giggling to themselves madly over my head.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I forgot to mention the funniest/most arousing thing I've seen on a news broadcast ... the local NBC station here, NBC7 San Diego, has the lovely Dagmar Midcap (who plays hockey and rides a Ducati ... I know!) is such a competent and capable on-air personality ... somehow, part of her mic fell down inside her dress on live TV, and like a champion, she pulls the breast-line hem open, looks down into her boobies for the mic ... all while continuing to speak on-camera about the eight-day forecast. She didn't miss a beat, and ended up looking down inside her chest twice ... god I love her so much. The anchors were cracking up and one of them says, "I don't know why anyone watches any of our competitors ... we are the best!" 8)  

She did the news locally here for awhile.  At one point she was the biggest draw for that station.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

My "best of the 80's" CD's are the awesome for listening to while playing video games and surfing the 'net.

...time to fix dinner soon. Then a round of cat entertainment, because Mr. Black gets desperately lonely (and loud) when I'm too long being busy with friend visits and late night video games. All his ambush attempts to try to catch me in a waist-hug as I run around the house is turning my belly/hip into a scratches roadmap. Need a kevlar suit or something. :cat: 

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

In general being physically strong is the foundation for a hell of a lot of backbone because you know you can "take" most anyone who comes for you.

Speaking as someone who's had his ass handed to him a few times, physical strength is great bonus but it doesn't even compare to keeping a cool head and keep thinking. Above all that there is willpower, just the fact that you have made the choice beforehand to not give up no matter what makes a huge difference.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I found a really cool radio station on I Heart Radio today. What can I tell you... it was a slow day for me 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

On Spring Break.

Consumed a large amount of alcohol, and may drive up to Austin for SXSW.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

On Spring Break.

Consumed a large amount of alcohol, and may drive up to Austin for SXSW.

We'll continue the Girl's thread to honor your memory.

• Like 2
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

It's beef jerky time again. Went through some reviews trying to decide if I wanted to try a new brand from somewhere, but ... nah. I'm too much a creature of habit. Maybe I'll get an extra bag for kitty. At least that's my story.

• Like 1

Woke up four hours early to a kitteh attacking my feet (which were sticking out from under my blanket) and being a tad bit to hot... may try to slam back into sleep for those extra few hours.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Got an A in biochemistry. Unexpected and not particularly deserved, but it will save me a lot of trouble down the road, so I won't complain. Time to study physiology, I want an A I deserve tomorrow.

• Like 1

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Got an A in biochemistry. Unexpected and not particularly deserved, but it will save me a lot of trouble down the road, so I won't complain. Time to study physiology, I want an A I deserve tomorrow.

Wow, thats very well done :thumbsup:

What are you studying?

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Wow, thats very well done :thumbsup:

What are you studying?

Still medicine :) Hormonal regulation of the metabolism right now, if you want to narrow it down.

• Like 1

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Been a busy little bee at work the last few weeks. Hopefully, from the middle of May, things will calm down. Also have my cousin sleeping over for three months because of work related stuff close by. From my place, it takes him one hour. From his place, it takes five.

Did some one handed dumbbell shrugs. Its feels very satisfying to pick up a 70kg dumbbell with one hand like it weighs nothing and then shrugging it. Its also a good balance exercise. 

I also had a nice chat with my 84 year old neighbor about gardening, her family threats her like **** because shes old but if you talk to her you quickly realize shes actually smarter than any of those people.  

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

Listening to Birth of the Cool while the little one sleeps and the wife talks to her mom on the phone.  Peaceful.  And it won't last much longer-- soon Junior is going to realize that he's due for a feeding...

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 1

Client's insanity is past comedy and now just depressing at the moment.  They behave like someone entering a restaurant, stating they are hungry, but then refusing to tell the waiter what they want to eat.   Though the whole CYA culture they're exhibiting is still amusing enough to compensate.

Also, the weather sucks. Snow again, after 2 days of positive temperatures.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Brought a rifle to my favorite gnomish weaponsmith gunsmith for some cool modifications and alterations. I love talking to that guy, from all the gunsmiths I know only that dude really undertands and loves his profession. I didn't have to explain much to him, he instantly knew my wishes. 

Also today the ferryman asked me if I'm planning to kill some people because I've gotten so big. Old, friendly guy but he is having his weird moments. :blink: