What you did today

LadyCrimson

I went away for the weekend to a mountain resort, very relaxing. We went hiking and just chilled. It was awesome, I came back and discovered my laptop needs a new motherboard so I've been without normal Internet access for the last 2 days :blink:

How'd you determine it was the motherboard? :)

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Coworker shamed the office manager into looking into getting a coffee maker, I guess I should have been more brazen and done that sooner! Put a bowl up for donations for a coffee fund.  I did rather noisily dump a bunch of pennies in it yesterday though.

Probably will get rejected anyway, then they can say they have data that proves it wasn't enough to warrant a purchase.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I news that only I care about, a woman parked her car in front of an oncoming train one intersection down from us. The train was able to slow down enough that she only suffered minor injuries, but it blocked us onto our street for an hour or two while they cleared the scene.

From the police e-mail, it sounds like a suicide attempt. The lady pulled around the crossing arms and parked.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

My mother-in-law suicided by train some years ago. She didn't use a car. That was not a fun couple of months. And in a strange way, I felt the worst for the train conductor. (edit) I'm glad in this case the conductor was able to stop in time.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I've never seen the remains of a person hit by a train, but I imagine it's not all that different from white-tailed deer--much disarticulation, shattered pieces for many paces alongside and in between the rails.

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

Were there people bitching a lot about the delay?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

A friend was traveling in a train when it hit a person, there was a two hour delay because they had to remove the body parts stuck in the trains wheels and suspension. She told me the train driver was white as a ghost when he got back into the car to inform the passengers about the accident and delay. 

She also told me while the train workers scraped out the bloody remains the passengers all went to the buffet car to eat and complain about the delay and the selfish way the person committed suicide. 

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Heh, almost got into a fistfight when some baby in a suit started crying about a delay (turns out it was some guy assaulting a driver on the streetcar ahead). What made it funnier was he starting crying about...2-3 minutes into the delay.

In honor of Fat Tuesday, I am enjoying a Sazerac, the official c0cktail of the city of New Orleans.  It is lovely.

The youngin' is a week old and doing well.  He's off all IV and temperature support (apart from clothing/blankets), and has been sustaining good blood-sugar levels with only nutritional support (i.e., stuff added to the milk he gets to boost its caloric content).  The great thing about that is that the hospital folks aren't doing anything we can't do at home.  So, if he can sustain this for a little while longer, they've told us that they want to let us take him home Thursday morning. 

Meanwhile, what semblance of order we had around the house has fallen to ****, with the wife still recovering from the c-section and both of us exhausted from getting up to pump milk every few hours.  (And with me still spending time making interesting c0cktails and updating silly internet forums.) 

Edited by Enoch

Great news Enoch, hopefully Thursday is the day. As for how you have been spending the last few days, none of it was a waste of time.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I went away for the weekend to a mountain resort, very relaxing. We went hiking and just chilled. It was awesome, I came back and discovered my laptop needs a new motherboard so I've been without normal Internet access for the last 2 days :blink:

How'd you determine it was the motherboard? :)

Troubleshooting, the Ethernet interface is dead on the hardware level and my 3G USB router doesn't initialize but only on the laptop. Also there are various driver failures on the network level

It may be something else but once the Motherboard is replaced I'll confirm for sure :)

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

What is that, eight hours of work with a magnifying glass? Please just buy a whole new one. That Swedish guy posted a great deal on a fantastic gaming machine.

1. What're you talking about? What would you be using a magnifying glass for?

2. Are you kidding? :p Buy a whole new one when you can just fix yours for pennies in comparison to the total cost of a new one? Why?

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I've never seen the remains of a person hit by a train, but I imagine it's not all that different from white-tailed deer--much disarticulation, shattered pieces for many paces alongside and in between the rails.

I have, it's like seeing somebody who's taken a direct hit from an RPG, just spread over a wider area along the tracks (around 150m along the tracks).

And to complete the mood whiplash:

In honor of Fat Tuesday, I am enjoying a Sazerac, the official c0cktail of the city of New Orleans.  It is lovely.

The youngin' is a week old and doing well.  He's off all IV and temperature support (apart from clothing/blankets), and has been sustaining good blood-sugar levels with only nutritional support (i.e., stuff added to the milk he gets to boost its caloric content).  The great thing about that is that the hospital folks aren't doing anything we can't do at home.  So, if he can sustain this for a little while longer, they've told us that they want to let us take him home Thursday morning. 

Meanwhile, what semblance of order we had around the house has fallen to ****, with the wife still recovering from the c-section and both of us exhausted from getting up to pump milk every few hours.  (And with me still spending time making interesting c0cktails and updating silly internet forums.) 

That's great to hear, and congratulations on the mini-Enoch. Some friends of mine make an early "my kid's first role playing game"*, just in case you want to start him early! ;)

*In light of the upper part of my post, I felt the need to clarify which RPG is in question.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

What is that, eight hours of work with a magnifying glass? Please just buy a whole new one. That Swedish guy posted a great deal on a fantastic gaming machine.

1. What're you talking about? What would you be using a magnifying glass for?

2. Are you kidding? :p Buy a whole new one when you can just fix yours for pennies in comparison to the total cost of a new one? Why?

Is that a challenge?  :aiee:  Because if it is, I have a much-unloved Vaio sitting in a powered-down Windows Vista heap of shame that needs quadruple the RAM and a new battery ...  

Obsolete is obsolete, I say.  

All Stop. On Screen.

There were big news in my local paper when some young man threw himself in front of a train (that I was on, but I was asleep so I noticed nothing) here in Uppsala a year back or so. The news was not that he committed suicide, but that his family visited the train tracks the day after to lay down flowers and found a big piece of his jaw that the cleaners had missed. Not OK!

A police friend of mine likened it to a victim of a bombing. There's nothing left. It's a horrible way to go and it scars so many people.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

There were big news in my local paper when some young man threw himself in front of a train (that I was on, but I was asleep so I noticed nothing) here in Uppsala a year back or so. The news was not that he committed suicide, but that his family visited the train tracks the day after to lay down flowers and found a big piece of his jaw that the cleaners had missed. Not OK!

A police friend of mine likened it to a victim of a bombing. There's nothing left. It's a horrible way to go and it scars so many people.

I hope the family was able to keep a stiff upper lip after that tragedy.

• Like 1

There were big news in my local paper when some young man threw himself in front of a train (that I was on, but I was asleep so I noticed nothing) here in Uppsala a year back or so.

Happened to me once, but in my case it was very noticeable as the police locked the area (until they and the corner finish) luckily it was double track and soon another train picked us up.

btw I don't want to sound incentive, but people who really want to commit suicide, and not crying for attention or looking to cause a **** storm, can find much easier less gruesome ways to go to everyone involved.

btw I don't want to sound incentive, but people who really want to commit suicide, and not crying for attention or looking to cause a **** storm, can find much easier less gruesome ways to go to everyone involved.

Sounds like you're offering a great incentive there, despite your wishes. :p

That's good news, Enoch, and congrats. :D

After some lunch, off to friend-sit some more. We'll probably watch maudlin movies and cry on each others shoulders. Either that or we'll watch silly, gory horror films and cackle. Either works as a catharsis method and you never know, with us.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I've kind of lost half the week. Had a major migraine Monday, then Tuesday was that after haze of tired and bleh recovery. Wednesday's been a sort of catch at things that slipped by over the previous two days.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Me: We decided to hang out here, eat take-out, and watch movies.

Friend: Heya.

Hubs: Heya. Sounds good, what movies?

Me: Terms of Endearment.

Friend: And Steel Magnolias.

Hubs: [ silence ]

Me & Friend: Haha! Just kidding. *girl-giggles, fading as we swoosh over to kitchen*

Hubs: (calling after us) Should I be afraid?