Diablo 3 new patch

Monte Carlo

Haha! Gratz on that mean, mean sword! Let's just say that I'd be surprised if that kind of sword design appeared in PE, alongside estocs and rapiers! :)

I except my Holy Avenger to be even bigger then that. I want when people see me to think that I have the smallest we-we in the world!

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

I had my first Cursed Chest challenge in Tristram Cathedral. I had to kill 100 mooks to win a bonus chest (I got 90). Once the challenge finishes the cursed chest turns into a resplendent chest.

I'm level 12, just killed the Skeleton King. He dropped my first legendary, a nice two-handed sword. Not OP, just a decent boost.

I like the nephalem orbs and XP boosts, the combat feels far more epic and Diablo-esque now, I love hurtling into mobs whereas in the old D3 it was a chore.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

Indeed, there's less junk loot, but more fun critters to mow! Finally, they have indeed focussed on what Diablo is all about: Killing demons and devils for potential upgrades and gold, and having great fun while doing so.

Gfted1: Gosh! You have tonnes of paragon points, but now I recall that you had one toon go all the way up to lvl 100 on the old system. You are right about the new skills that the Elites are displaying: ball lightning, strange poisonous labyrinths under your feet, and mortar barrages. It makes it all challenging. I find that I use teleport more often now, that's for sure.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Hm, my DH that could handle Inferno MP2 now can't handle Torment 1.  Either that or I've no idea how to play it. :)

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The most important changes

- When you try to use your potions when they are on cooldown and you're dying, your character doesn't say "Why would I do that?" anymore, rather "I wish I could do that".

- Whimsyshire now has BLUE cuddly bears!!!!

Seriously, it's a bummer they moved adventure mode to RoS. Otherwise enjoying it.

I popped on for 20 minutes this morning and within 5 minutes, I got a legendary upgrade on my sword which has the chance of spawning a demon irift to help out every once in a while.  Pretty cool stuff indeed and I very much look forward to Adventure mode and the bounties in the expansion.  This patch has me excited like the first time I played the PS3 version with the loot 1.5 patch which was great as compared to original diablo looting and this loot 2.0 seems to be expanding on that on all fronts so far.  

If anyone is on the US servers, let me know and we can group up when we have time.

Been playing since last night, got to level 20 and have just got to the Highlands bit before the Butcher's Mansion. In that period I've had three epic loot drops (2 x rings, 1 x sword). Nice, but not like 'old' D3 where you'd get one epic drop a fortnight. Usually a rubbish one, too, and for a different class.

I'm getting a lot of those golden pools of radiance or whatever they are.

Oh, and the monk gets some super-sick new powaz I didn't notice before. Another good feature are diamonds, which add resistances to socketed items. Building up decent resistances versus elites was a chore before this patch.

sonsofgygax.JPG

If anyone is on the US servers, let me know and we can group up when we have time.

I cant remember, are we already on each others friends list from back when the game released?

I believe so, so I'll look for you when we're both on.

PMed you my battle tag just in case.

Alright, one and a half hour more of just testing out my level 60 wizard and the new, re-balanced skills!

It's fun, but frustrating. After I found myself to flimsy and unpredictable vs Elites and bosses in Torment IV difficulty, I went down a peg. In III. it's more laid back when I test stuff out. I had a glass cannon wizard before, with low HP, 40K, and lots and lots of damage. It was one of them Archon wizards. I had to throw all that out of the window and come up with something else. As I found that I died way too easy and fast to certain Elites and even that pesky Skeleton King, I finally realize what my problem was:

-too low HP

-no healing, not on hit, since no life steal anymore (forgot about that! :biggrin:  )

I took one more look at my half a dozen new legendaries and set items I've found, and saw that they hade low resistances compared to mine, but huge boosts to Toughness (almost doubled) and Healing (more than tripled), so I just swapped out a few of my golden oldies, and then my survivability rocketed.  I have a lot to learn, but I now realize it's a new game altogether. I can't just look to my DPS as my sole saviour. That is good. :)

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

And the horrors we laid our eyes upon... Unspeakable!

That's my new all-patch 2.0 barbarian btw. Reached level 13 there thanks to Monte's quivering palms of death! :)

My barbarian has found two legendary crafting materials too. Not bad.

Haha, I loved whacking those waddling pink teddy bears and splicing the unicorns in half. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It is nice to get new legendaries so often, seems the best way to do it is to just play through the entire game from start to finish.  Get a lot of whites & grays too for salvaging (though I don't have any really impressive recipes).  Also 50% XP boost for everyone until RoS launches, so that's handy for my monk as I'm pushing her to 60.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Here's a short article on D3 by Tracey Lien over at Polygon, and the devs really sell me the idea that adventure mode will be my way to go, since to me D3 has a huge potential to be the perfect casual game. When I play other games, like a rogue-like or Company of Heroes 2, I like to be more focussed and on the edge, but not when playing D3. It's more relaxation and high hope for nice loot! :)

Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls' Adventure Mode is the 'smartest way to play'

The upcoming expansion to Diablo 3, Reaper of Souls, will offer players "the most varied and smartest way to play" if their aim is to level-up and find gear, according to lead designer Kevin Martens.

Speaking to Polygon, Martens described Adventure Mode as a sandbox for Diablo 3, allowing players to play the way they want to. He said finding new gear and levelling up is the main draw of the game for a lot of people, and the development team noticed a significant number of players going into areas with the highest density of monsters with good loot drops and chests, killing those monsters, jumping out of the game, restarting it, and doing that over and over again.

"We took the 'If you can't beat them, join them' approach, and now you can do that across a wider variety of content, so you're not stuck in the one run of the game," Martens said. "If you want to get the best gear and you want to get it as fast as possible, mathematically, this is the best way to do that. You're getting a big tour of the hundreds of hours of content we've added, and this is now both the most varied and smartest way to play."

Adventure mode can be accessed once players defeat the final boss in Act 5 of the expansion. The mode has all the cutscenes and conversations disabled, and players will be able to bring their existing character or a new character into the game. The main focus is to kill enemies, pick up loot and level up, and the player's gains carry over to the main game. Players can freely move between Adventure Mode and the story mode and, according to senior level designer Larra Paolilli, Adventure mode offers the freedom to jump in and play shorter sessions.

"People can come in and play for 15 minutes or a longer session because of how we've structured it," she said. "Adventure Mode strips away everything and just exposes the randomness of the game. it lets you play the game the way you want to — it's like a buffet for Diablo 3."

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

Should have just made a mode where it's just one long, long, tunnel.  Or perhaps a conveyor belt dropping off demons.

I've been playing and it's been fun. I seem to be getting legendary items much more often and on the whole they have been much more useful for my character. I think they've increased the rate of legendary drops for rings and amulets as I've found several while playing with loot 2.0, but never had one drop previously. I found a really helpful one that makes me immune to arcane damage and heals me for 20% of the damage I would have taken. It makes the arcane orb spawning elites REALLY easy to deal with. I just stand as close to the orb as possible and hack away with my barbarian.

What happened to the rune descriptions? They used to give much more specific information (like % of weapon damage), but now its just a general description. I haven't played in a long time, so was this changed in an earlier patch?

• Like 1