Diablo 3 new patch

Monte Carlo

Sure wish I could find jewelry with a socket in it. Have tonnes of legendary gems but no way to use them, have one that gives 30% to primary skills

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm just crafting it onto them, using some money and ingredients. Unfortunately, my amulet refuses to randomize into a socket, but for my two legendary rings, it worked within two tries per ring.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Two more legendary gem questions:

1) Can you level up socketed legendary gems, or do they have to be non-socketed? The latter would make it more expensive, that's for sure.

2) Stupid one: The attribute with a rank, say rank 25, surely it only works when you're playing in ranked GFs at 25 or higher? D3 doesn't remember your success and let you use it at that capacity forever more, no?

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Two more legendary gem questions:

1) Can you level up socketed legendary gems, or do they have to be non-socketed? The latter would make it more expensive, that's for sure.

2) Stupid one: The attribute with a rank, say rank 25, surely it only works when you're playing in ranked GFs at 25 or higher? D3 doesn't remember your success and let you use it at that capacity forever more, no?

1) When you choose to level a Gem you will be presented with all Gems, socketed or in your Stash. You can level up any Gem you want.

2) Gems work in all circumstances: Bounties, Rifts, Greater Rifts, Brawling, etc... regardless of level. Or have I misunderstood your question?

Thx!

As for 2: Currently, since I've not reached rank 25, my two leg. gems have one attribute each that's greyed out, obviously. But when I finally reach rank 25 in a GR, they will work in accordance with the description. However, if I use that gem in any normal non-GR-place in D3, that rank 25 attribute (bonus) means nothing, or?

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

It's an item, so once it is rank 25 you get that effect as long as the gem is in used jewelry, regardless of place.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

OK, now I get it.

Ranks in GR is one thing.

And rank 25 or what not on a gem is something else, something that's solely dependent on you levelling the gem via that ghost lady at the end of any GR, so it has nothing to with you reaching GR levels in that respect.

It looks like I'll be dreaming about a new ancient weapon. *drool*

On Ancient Items (from Diablo Wiki):

Ancient Items were added into the game in Patch 2.1.2 after extensive testing on the PTR. These are level 70 Legendary Items with a special "Ancient" designation which grants higher values to most of the affixes on the item, including the damage roll on weapons. Ancient Legendary Items can be big upgrades over non-Ancient versions of the same item since they will have higher values to most affixes, but ancient items are not guaranteed to be better since they might not roll with ideal affixes for a specific character or build.

Appearance

Ancient items look identical when the drop; there is no way to tell if an item has rolled ancient until it is ID'ed. Once identified, Ancient items have an orange border (green for set items) around the outside of the item tooltip, and say "Ancient" in the item name.

Frequency

A small % of level 70 legendary items from all sources found on Torment 1 or higher will spawn as Ancient.

• Ancient items can come from all sources; monster or chest drops, gambling, Horadric Caches, or crafting. (Crafting can produce Ancient, including an Ancient Hellfire Ring or Hellfire Amulet.)
  • The odds increase on higher levels of Torment, from around 1.5% on Torment 1 up to 10% on Torment 6 (from monster drops).
    • It's not yet known how the odds of an item being ancient are set for Gambling or Crafting, since if they were tied to difficulty level, players would just create Torment 6 games to do their gambling and crafting.

Affix Values

Not all affixes are affected by Ancient. Those that are will always roll with higher numbers on an Ancient item. Examples:

• Mainstat or vitality rolls at 500-750 on normal legendary gloves and 751-1000 on Ancient legendary gloves.
  • Mainstat or vitality rolls at 416-500 to normal legendary rings and 501-600 on an Ancient legendary ring.
  • ResAll rolls 80-100 on normal armor and rings, and 101-120 on Ancient armor and rings.

Not Ancient Boosted

Some affixes are not boosted by occurring on an Ancient item, and these include many of the most powerful affixes in the game. Affixes not affected by Ancient include:

• Critical hit Chance
  • Critical hit Damage
  • Attack Speed
  • +Elemental Damage % to a single element.
  • +Damage to Elites
  • Socketed (There are not additional sockets nor better odds for an ancient item to be socketed.)
  • All special Legendary Affixes are unchanged by Ancient items.

Value by Item Type

One major point of debate concerning Ancient Items during their PTR testing was the varying utility by item slot. An ancient item of the same type with good affixes was always a big upgrade, but since Ancient items are as random as all other items, in the game, they were more or less likely to be useful depending on the item slot.

Ancient weapons were the most useful, with guaranteed much higher damage than on any non-Ancient item.

Ancient Armor was sometimes a big upgrade, with potentially much higher rolls to mainstat and vitality and resistance, but with so many potential affixes on armor it's quite rare to find an ancient piece with bonuses to the properties a character requires. For instance, a typical build would require shoulders with +mainstat, +vitality, +res all, and +%damage to a specific skill. A non-ancient item with all of those would never be improved upon by an ancient version of the same item with only 2 or 3 of those properties.

Ancient Jewelry is the least improved by Ancient, since most of the best modifiers on jewelry, including crit hit, crit chance, +elemental damage, attack speed, and socket, are unaffected by Ancient. The only likely boost on top end jewelry is to the +mainstat, which is nice to increase with Ancient, but is only worth a couple of hundred points to stat, and thus never worth using at the expense of any of the other affixes. Few players on the PTR testing of patch 2.1.2 were able to find ancient versions of jewelry that were upgrades over non-ancient jewelry, since players found at least 10x more non-ancient legendary jewelry items and it usually takes dozens of pieces of jewelry to find one with close to ideal stats.

Yep, rank of a GR is independent of the rank of a gem. Wonder if they will ever add ranks of legendaries, or some way to grind out upgrades to the gear you have - make it more grindy :)

I play on T1 and sometimes T2, and so far none. A guy on US.battlenet played 150 rifts, T6, and found 3, so they are hard to come by.

I just wish playing on higher Grift levels or T-levels would reward you with better items, including ancient ones.

Ive never seen an Ancient drop. sad.png And I play on Torment 5.

I've gotten a lot, try crafting some weapons if you can. Nothing like getting an ancient that is a piece of junk though :lol:

Got an Ancient Legendary crafting a bow upgrade for my (non-main) demon hunter. It actually kind of sucks (it was a 30% damage upgrade from the yellow bow I was using, but a bigger combined loss in Toughness and Healing) but since I was struggling in T1 because I couldn't kill things at a reasonable rate, I'm using it.

My (main) Crusader is in T2, and I could probably handle T3, slowly. I haven't played a ton (only Paragon 75 or so), and actually had never run a GR until today despite having ~150 normal rift stones (Indira, you inspired me.) I've gotten up to GR Rank 10 one at a time so far (well, I accidentally skipped 2) so I've got a decent selection of legendary gems, but getting Legendary jewelry with sockets is a pain (I've not gotten enough trash legendaries that I can reroll a whole lot of times, and I spent a lot of mats re-rolling trying to get Holy Damage on my Andariel's Visage since my Crusader is mostly lacking in damage...I never got it, though. :( )

I really think the leveling is too fast. Getting actual gear upgrades is so slow, and while paragon levels come reasonably quickly so far, they don't individually make much of a difference. My characters really feel stagnated, which is what caused me to stop playing initially (I only started playing again because I was looking to see when Season 2 started, and thought I would see how the patch effected my characters...still lots of useless abilities it seems like. :( )

Alright, and I guess that means that you don't get a new GR keystone with an updated rank on it, so then I'll have to use a new one. It won't be given back to me with the same rank, rather it's consumed?

If you fail to complete the GR (kill the guardian) before time runs out then you can only upgrade the Gem, the Keystone will be locked out and consumed. If you complete the GR in time, you can choose which to upgrade, Gem or Keystone, but not both. Choosing one locks out the other.

Wait, you can upgrade gems even if you don't finish GR? I guess it's time to go upgrade my gems by sitting in a corner.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I've gotten a few Ancients playing on T6, but nothing better than my previous (which were pretty ideal, though).

Not planning on playing much until Season 2 anyway. I did use the goblin-buff to grind the Greed achievements, though. :p

What happens if there's double-goblin buff and then you wear a helm that copies each found gem when you find a pair of gem hoarders?

Well, I found two pairs in a row, so I got hundreds of gems of each kind on T3! :biggrin:

My DH is now so decent that it has stepped up to T3, where it survives rifts pretty comfortably. Unfortunately, I had to swap my gem-helmet for a Mempo of Twilight that was better on all accounts. I have found two ancient legendaries now: a weapon (unfortuntately a weird 2H crossbow without a socket, so I need to craft it before I see what it's worth, and ancient fire walker boots for a strength character, so I let my Crusader have it. In addition to all this, I just found my first legendary potion (instan 60% heal, +15 armor for 30 s), so I'm having a blast here! :)

Alright, and I guess that means that you don't get a new GR keystone with an updated rank on it, so then I'll have to use a new one. It won't be given back to me with the same rank, rather it's consumed?

If you fail to complete the GR (kill the guardian) before time runs out then you can only upgrade the Gem, the Keystone will be locked out and consumed. If you complete the GR in time, you can choose which to upgrade, Gem or Keystone, but not both. Choosing one locks out the other.

Wait, you can upgrade gems even if you don't finish GR? I guess it's time to go upgrade my gems by sitting in a corner.

To clarify, you can still upgrade your socket-able legendary gems even if you fail the GR. You cannot upgrade your GR gem if you fail.

Indeed, you have to kill the guardian to get the two-pronged choice.

Well, I just reached paragon level 100, and just in that festive spirit, guess what just dropped?

My third ancient legendary, and my first Marauder set piece: an absolutely excellent 3-socket Marauder Carapace. Even without any gems in it, it's clearly better than the legendary cloak I was wearing. WOOT!!!

Looking through my bags last night it turns out I do actually have a piece of Ancient gear, a pair of Marauder boots. :lol: Unfortunately I don't use that set because Im not specced for Companions or Sentries. Im currently using Natalya's Vengeance set for the two and three piece set bonuses.

Crafted a bunch of ancient legendaries, turned out mostly to be junk. Feh. I guess I will take a break from D3 until S2 starts :)

• 4 weeks later...

So, after hundreds and hundreds of hours of playing, and having killed thousands of treasure bandits, all of the sudden the impossible happened to me a couple of weeks ago, and I took screenies for posterity:

o33eM3.jpg

The goblin's portal was all of the sudden usable for me and my flea-ridden gang! It led to the Vault realm.

Whjm73.jpg

First, we had to enter the Vault door.

zDEsnr.jpg

And it was filled to the brim with riches and treasures and goblins - all in all I made over 50 Million gold pieces in there. So, darn sweet!

VoTsTk.jpg

Then, deep down in the Vault realm, I reached the Inner Sanctum (felt like NWN2)

clhMHZ.jpg

And there lived a rude Baroness of the Vault, which was a sweet tooth, to be sure!

1YgcvE.jpg

But she soon went from sweet to hostile, realizing I had cleaned out her place and killed everyone inside. I had to kill her, this arch-demon Greed!

ibz09a.jpg

And even afterwards, during that session, the portal to that realm remained open for hours - it was mine, all mine! :)

• Like 2

Nice, last time I got it I got 3 legendaries I didn't need, but a lot of gold so not that all that bad. Enjoying my wizard in Season 2, using a lot of lightning skills. I never appreciated Arcane Torrent before, that skill hits like a truck and it goes over waller walls.

• 1 year later...

This feels like necroing, but since I really hope that Necromancer will be a new class in D3 in the upcoming final expansion, this is appropriate, no?

Well, I'm trying my hand a season journey for the second time (my last time, season 4, I reached Champion and then got tired of it), and this time I'm all in it for that Stash tab. I've even named my toon Nastashia! :yes:

I wanted to give it a go for real this time, since they've removed that hardcore lvl 70 requirement, and they've added a class set as part of the early journey (Haedrig's Gift).

I dig the witch doctor class, and I have a bit of carpal tunnel problem, so I picked a Helltooth Build, so easy on your fingers, and pretty easy overall. :)

I've played the Adventure Mode all the way through, and as soon as I reached level 70, I got a goblin dropping a portal to Greed's Realm, and then two hours later, same session, I found another portal to Greed's, so I had tens of millions of gold very early on. I saw that as a sign, and it was really helpful coz of all the crafting. 

But after like 20h, one weekend, and a number of nights and mornings of playing, I hit a stumble block: I had to master a set dungeon; that is, kill everything in it, and do all the weird assignments in like no time. And the Helltooth dungeon near the Skellie King is cruel on us slightly older players. You need to time 4 Wall of Deaths, hitting 20 baddies and killing them with each one, and then you have a few minutes to clear a huuuuuge dungeon. Sure enough, I did find a Manujama Angry Chicken weapon set, but this was out of my league. My record was 2 WoDs and then 1 min too slow. Luckily, I've had assembled a Jade Harvester set as well, so I took a peek at that set dungeon at the very start of Act IV, and I felt it was easier. You just need to hit those electric eels 10 times, soul harvesting 15 at a time. But you still had to clear a huge dungeon in under 4:30, so I had to do it Angry Chicken-style, and after seven tries, I finally did it. Yay!

Nbj6wN.jpg

In order to get that nice stash tab, you have to achieve two conquests as well. The first one I tackled was The Thrill, where you need to clear a tier 45 rift in time without any set items.

Here's what I looked like:

RNwP9J.jpg

It was tough, but I more or less kept my Helltooth build without the set. I added a Long Man's Finger, a Hellfire amulet, and then I just tried for like five times, and hey presto!

The other conquest I took on was Avarice, and I saw vids on Youtube, where Demon Hunters did it in the Ruins of Corvo. First you run through the huge loop, aggroing all the monsters and opening all the doors, and then you reactivate your gold-picking pet, plus in my case Garg plus Zombie Dogs and kill everything with Boon of the Hoarder gem and a Leoric Crown with a Green Emerald in it. So I copy that DH-variant, and it worked like a charm. Third try on Torment XI.

The rest has been a grind, except for the only thing I had to do in multiplayer (oh, that scary jungle of misfits). It was the last cheevo before I had my precious little stash tab.

Finish a normal Nephalem Rift XIII in under 5 min. I've tried it solo. My record was like 6 min.

oLYESp.jpg

So I took the plunge, and after four asking-around-nicelies, I hit upon a group that not only did it in under 5 minutes, but under 4 min, which was one of the Guardian achievements.

0BwryX.jpg

So, finally, after like 28h, I 'm finally the happy owner of some digital space. :dancing:

ZsE6PW.jpg

I have planned ahead, so the two legendary gems I augmented was at level 50, and this enables me to finish the Guardian top tier season accomplishment at my leisure later.

That's all folks!

Cheers, Indira