Obsidian style

Corret me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the grudge between Interplay and Bioware over royalties, licensing/distribution agreements etc., not between BIS and Bioware. Always thought the latter two got along well :p

Correct, now that BIS is dead I see no reason as to why Bio and Obsidian could not work together.

TripleRRR

Using a gamepad to control an FPS is like trying to fight evil through maple syrup.

i dunno darker themes are kinda a two edged sword. sure it would rock harder then pretty much any star wars before. but at the risk of making it less 'sellable' or lucasarts cutting the guts from it.

on the plus side though, assuming this is going to be an xbox and pc game alone, then the target audience is alot older then if it was PS2 or GCN, so that could benefit.

Maybe I should finish my post next time :p

I was hinting towards Bioware and Obsidian being something like best friends, not the opposite :)

I have nothing special to say here.

I'm a darksider, and I'd be more than willing to keep any character around that helps me. It means they've learned their place. If they have nothing to offer they can leave or die.

Not me, every sith lord is eventually overthrown by his apprentice. Even the original dark sider, vecna. You would think they would eventually learn.

Let's keep the T&A in FanTAsy

***Posting delayed, user on moderator review***

Why Bio Why?

Not me, every sith lord is eventually overthrown by his apprentice. Even the original dark sider, vecna. You would think they would eventually learn.

yeah, probably true, but even the darkest sith needs help to rise the ranks and reach the top. After that you can discard or kill your followers. A few might be apprentices but they know their role. You lead, they follow.

yeah, probably true, but even the darkest sith needs help to rise the ranks and reach the top. After that you can discard or kill your followers. A few might be apprentices but they know their role. You lead, they follow.

Like malak followed revan?

Why Bio Why?

yeah, they turn on you eventually, but until then they follow you without question.

If Kotor2 allows you to take on an apprentice, you don't want to worry about them stabbing you in the back. Maybe if the story dictates that but not at any time of their choosing, like in the middle of combat... haha.

Kotor2 will be more mature I think.

I seriously doubt that will be the case.

Why not?

Because the game is written for teens andyounger, it is using an existin engine and formula, it won't be different from KotOR in any real way.

Why Bio Why?

bioware made a very successful game with kotor. the initial release sold out in a matter o’ days… which means that lucas were even surprised by the popularity of the title. game eventually sold loads of copies on multiple platforms. kotor made virtually every game magazine’s rpg of year, and occasionally even gots Game of the Year honors. Regardless of what you occasionally read here on these boards, kotor was a huge success both critically and financially. so, it not too much of a surprise that obsidian is going the safe route by trying to follow the formula they already seen work so well in the previous game… which is too bad, but it is understandable.

Every time I stop and think about it, I am just amazed that Obsidian managed to get this game. I mean what a flipping coup for a new dev. house's first game. It's an absolute can't miss, connect the dots hit. All they have to do, is not f- it up and they'll get a guaranteed best seller under their belts for a first release.

True, on the other hand bio didn't want to do it, and in Obsidan you have pretty much an established team, the key players of whom have churned out a number of titles, they are used to using bio engines, they have extensive industry contacts, and... and because its there first title as a new dev house, are probably very cheap.

Seems quite attractive to me, I mean who else were they going to get Troika?

Mind you there may be some quid pro quo, Feargus gave bio their big break when he (along with other ip top brass) comissioned BG, now bio are returning the favour.

Well, the "established team" hasn't had much luck in bringing games to market as of late. What was the last actual Black Isle game published "IWD II"? Or does BGDA2 count? Unfortunately I can't check the website to find out...

Frankly it would seem to me that ANY proven house would be more attractive than one that has exactly 0 games to its name. And as far as them being cheap, this is a money title, an almost can't miss hit. Not only do you get the revenue from the game, you get to put "from the developers of..." on your next game. I'm sure several established houses would have been willing to make themselves just as if not more inexpensive then Obsidian.

Looking at this from the outside there is no way Obsidian should get this game.

The only way they do is their prior relationships with BIO. Which says a lot for Feargus and company.

The only way they do is their prior relationships with BIO. Which says a lot for Feargus and company.

KotOR2 is just a clone of KotOR pushed out fast to make a quick buck. I don't think it reflects on Feargus in a positive or negative light, it was all about timing and luck.

Why Bio Why?

The only way they do is their prior relationships with BIO.  Which says a lot for Feargus and company.

KotOR2 is just a clone of KotOR pushed out fast to make a quick buck. I don't think it reflects on Feargus in a positive or negative light, it was all about timing and luck.

In what way is it about timing and luck?

Considering KotOR 2 is Obsidian's first game, I'm sure they won't have much artistic control over it. Bioware/LucasArts probably gave them pretty strict guidelines to follow, but for once I don't really care. Let them (obsidian) finish this game, get a great reputation, lots of sold units, plenty of riches and then watch them create the game of our dreams!

It seems they already have a second project brewing in the depths of their office..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!