Dragon Age: Inquisition

Gorth

Her magnificent attire is a sign of her station, the jewel of the high court of Orlais where wealth, power, and beauty are inextricably linked.

A thousand arrows would pierce her breast before Vivienne would don beaten steel for so base an urge as protection.

Versailles wasn't built in a day, and I agree that brash hubris could make for an interesting character in Vivienne, but I'm now less inclined to accept a romance challenge. An inquisitive, humble farmer's daughter with no world-bending aspirations sounds more enjoyable. 

All Stop. On Screen.

Her magnificent attire is a sign of her station, the jewel of the high court of Orlais where wealth, power, and beauty are inextricably linked.

A thousand arrows would pierce her breast before Vivienne would don beaten steel for so base an urge as protection.

Versailles wasn't built in a day, and I agree that brash hubris could make for an interesting character in Vivienne, but I'm now less inclined to accept a romance challenge. An inquisitive, humble farmer's daughter with no world-bending aspirations sounds more enjoyable. 

odd. both bio's viviwhatever and your romance suggestion leaves Gromnir... flacid. don't feel bad though, chances are that any tangential side-quest romance offering would only serve to inspire in us a kinda queasy contempt. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Haven't played DAO in a while, but I don't remember the music being particularly noteworthy. Then again, it didn't make me clinch me teeth so it wasn't terrible.

Someone had to.

I don't know - Thought the track "Elves at the Mercy of Men" was incredible as well. Perhaps the best. Otherwise I generally agree that Dragon Age's overall soundtrack is meh.

As a CIS-priviliged white male, i hope that my chaotic neutral barbarian has the option of having tasteful rape with her. 

But no seriously, what's on her head??

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

odd. both bio's viviwhatever and your romance suggestion leaves Gromnir... flacid. 

*insert silly pic here*

you are saying that if we ain't rendered turgid by bio' viviwahtever or manifested's farm girl, we should seek medical help?

if that is how you feel, am thinking that the one who needs doctor is not Gromnir.

*shudder*

is something serious wrong with some o' you folks.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

odd. both bio's viviwhatever and your romance suggestion leaves Gromnir... flacid. 

*insert silly pic here*

you are saying that if we ain't rendered turgid by bio' viviwahtever or manifested's farm girl, we should seek medical help?

if that is how you feel, am thinking that the one who needs doctor is not Gromnir.

*shudder*

is something serious wrong with some o' you folks.

HA! Good Fun!

Gromnir I'm concerned there may be something wrong with you....what reassurance can you give me that you are fine..... :ermm:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

the other day we got our self stuck in a "debate" with a bunch o' nerds who were insisting that competitive starcraft is more o' a sport than baseball. the only sane thing to do were to leave the nutters to their fantasy. this would appear to be a deja vu moment.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

Haven't played DAO in a while, but I don't remember the music being particularly noteworthy. Then again, it didn't make me clinch me teeth so it wasn't terrible.

Someone had to.

Geez that was beautiful, beautiful and haunting  :thumbsup:

Someone had to 

• Like 2

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

the other day we got our self stuck in a "debate" with a bunch o' nerds who were insisting that competitive starcraft is more o' a sport than baseball. the only sane thing to do were to leave the nutters to their fantasy. this would appear to be a deja vu moment.  

HA! Good Fun!

It's definitely more fun to watch than baseball, though.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I actually like romantic optional content in games - Like in the Persona games where they actually come off as being optional. They can be a very sweet afterthought addition to the experience, which serves to boost the characterization of said game's cast. What I dislike about the romances in recent BioWare games is how obligatory token they've become. In fact, they feel more like necessary tools in order to fully develop your party member's character. If one doesn't romance Garrus in ME2 then it doesn't feel like he's learned anything or achieved anything. In ME3 they even had the S/S romances be NPCs (like throwing a dog a bone) although with more personality than some of the actual party members. At this point I wouldn't care much if they weren't in the game altogether, that way one can disappoint all parties but at least nobody would feel left out of punishment. :p 

I actually like romantic optional content in games - Like in the Persona games where they actually come off as being optional. They can be a very sweet afterthought addition to the experience, which serves to boost the characterization of said game's cast. What I dislike about the romances in recent BioWare games is how obligatory token they've become. In fact, they feel more like necessary tools in order to fully develop your party member's character. If one doesn't romance Garrus in ME2 then it doesn't feel like he's learned anything or achieved anything. In ME3 they even had the S/S romances be NPCs (like throwing a dog a bone) although with more personality than some of the actual party members. At this point I wouldn't care much if they weren't in the game altogether, that way one can disappoint all parties but at least nobody would feel left out of punishment. :p

Interesting, so what camp would you say you in? The proud and noble promancers or the lonely and melancholic anti-romance crowd?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Interesting, so what camp would you say you in? The proud and noble promancers or the lonely and melancholic anti-romance crowd?

Haha! A difficult question to answer. Before I'll even attempt to answer it, I'll say this. I know that Chris Avellone's opinion is less than encourgaging about it all if not humorous. I don't know about the rest of Obsidian though and the people on this forum in general. On the forum formerly known as the BSN it's generally regarded as top priority. With every bit of news it'll always provoke discussions of whether "Can I romance this character" etc. And i feel this is reflected in BioWare's games as well. The characters have become shallow puppets that won't open up until you use the power of romance to conquer the door to their character development. They even went so far as making a DLC all about that, being all retro-campy, eyes-rolling-180-degrees-into-their- sockets-self-aware about it with The Citadel. On one hand I kinda enjoyed it, on the other I found it completely out of place for sci-fi opera that Mass Effect was supposed to be. Inconsistent tone that is. Anyway, let me see if I can answer.

What I like about the romances in the older BioWare games, or in the Persona games, is that they feel genuine with plenty of heart put into them. The ones in the Persona games feel natural, the conversations are down to the earth, they are engaging and sparkles with emotions. They didn't need sex scenes with pants-on-dry-humping, to express the characters feelings towards one another or showcase their growth as human beings, characters etc. I actually liked that about the ME1 romances as well with the human characters. To me they felt like real people. This was back when BioWare had their top writers onboard, before they all left to ZeniMax, Blizzard or wherever. Nowadays they feel token, or like BioWare is basically just 'throwing people a bone' and it hurts the quality, because the insane amount of craving from arch-fanboys/girls will make sure they'll always be there. I think this just goes to show that the best games are made from what people 'didn't ask for'. This is a bit of a cardboard answer but I'm probably in the middle, maybe leaning a bit towards the melancholic crowd. I'm all for romances if BioWare could somehow step it up and actually add some chemistry to conversations between the two intimate parties and make it feel genuine.

Edited by TheChris92
  • Like 3

She was adopted?

My favorite was that she would die and then become a zombie and then it's okay because she's not your sister anymore technically.

That was just a joke probably to make fun of other people who wanted the romance.

I don't have any evidence to back up that claim, mind you. It is simply what I choose to believe.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I would most likely put myself in the 'proud and noble promancers' catagory...way too much a hopeless romantic here  :p . However, I fully understand and even agree with the opinions and points of the other side as well. Ideally, romances shouldn't be so ingrained into the plot of a story that you either miss out on potentially integral content (character or plot wise) or become the end all and be all of a game (depending on what it is of course). And sex has become too much of an 'endgame' in some cases, which depending on the game, kinda irks me. Like I said, I love romances in games and feel they can add an additional depth and enjoyment to my playing experience, however many romances now feel somewhat cheesy, rushed, obvious and, well...stereotypical. Regardless, depending on the game, romances will often be a major bonus for me that I tend to indulge in  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.

~ Marcel Proust

I would most likely put myself in the 'proud and noble promancers' catagory...way too much a hopeless romantic here  :p . However, I fully understand and even agree with the opinions and points of the other side as well. Ideally, romances shouldn't be so ingrained into the plot of a story that you either miss out on potentially integral content (character or plot wise) or become the end all and be all of a game (depending on what it is of course). And sex has become too much of an 'endgame' in some cases, which depending on the game, kinda irks me. Like I said, I love romances in games and feel they can add an additional depth and enjoyment to my playing experience, however many romances now feel somewhat cheesy, rushed, obvious and, well...stereotypical. Regardless, depending on the game, romances will often be a major bonus for me that I tend to indulge in  :thumbsup:

Yes, exactly -- I'd like to think that my criticism is also partly based on BioWare's own behavior towards the romances. One bloke at BioWare felt like he wanted to point out how they are focusing on making the sex scenes tasteful, which as positive as it may sound first-hand, it sounds like this "So what?". It's this kind of mentality, where the romances are no longer optional content, and something as trivial as a 10-second sex scene has become priority. What is the fascination with the sex scenes exactly? I'd hardly consider them the heart of the romance and at best unimportant. I mean, they don't have to be underpants humping, like Origins, but the idea of including sex scenes for the sake of having them like they are HBO or something is just ludicrous. Sex is beautiful thing and shouldn't be censored, but there needs to be a context for them. Make them feel genuine BioWare. Make them feel alive and provoking. You don't need sex for that. Seriously.

Edited by TheChris92
  • Like 2

Yes, exactly -- I'd like to think that my criticism is also partly based on BioWare's own behavior towards the romances. One bloke at BioWare felt like he wanted to point out how they are focusing on making the sex scenes tasteful, which as positive as it may sound first-hand, it sounds like this "So what?". It's this kind of mentality, where the romances are no longer optional content, and something as trivial as a 10-second sex scene has become priority. What is the fascination with the sex scenes exactly? I'd hardly consider them the heart of the romance and at best unimportant. I mean, they don't have to be underpants humping, like Origins, but the idea of including sex scenes for the sake of having them like they are HBO or something is just ludicrous. Sex is beautiful thing and shouldn't be censored, but there needs to be a context for them. Make them feel genuine BioWare. Make them feel alive and provoking. You don't need sex for that. Seriously.

Some good points there, and I agree. The inclusion of sex scenes doesn't bother me per se (depending on the situation I like the inclusion of them), however, ideally they should be optional in a romance, not made the end game and balanced out better with the other important aspects of a romance (I feel like some Bioware romances for example do accomplish this fairly well - not all of course). I'd like to see more character and emotional growth in the romances (in all the relationships for that matter, friendship or otherwise) that should be the endgame as it is the aspect that matters the most (imo). I agree that sex scenes shouldn't added for the sake of having them, and sometimes they feel like they are (and depending on the game, feel much copy and pasted from one romance option to another...that kinda irks me too), and when they are added I concur they should feel 'genuine, alive and provoking' ...otherwise they feel meaningless.

Regardless, I am interested and looking forward to DAI and what it'll be like.  :)

Edited by SilverMoonDragon2
  • Like 2

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.

~ Marcel Proust