Introduction to Sawyerism - What J.E. Sawyer likes in RPGs

http://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/77541947335/what-are-some-cliched-rpg-or-d-d-tropes-you-are

truewarriorpoet asked: What are some cliched rpg or d&d tropes you are personally tired of seeing, and how do you plan on creating your own vision in PoE so it introduces familiar but unique twists on them?

(he doesn't actually answer that question)

• Like 11

Does this mean we call people who agree with Sawyer "Sawyerists"?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Time to create a new religion. The name is obvious. Now I just need to come up with some cosmology 'n stuff. Shouldn't be too hard, after all, if you can create good RPGs, you've already ascended to godhood, and with a solid god as a basis, creating a new monotheistic religion is a breeze. And since ye olde religions plagiarize from each other rather liberally, I shouldn't be much ashamed if I do that as well, so without further ado, here's Sawyerism's basic prayer:

Our Designer on computers,

Upleveled be your name.

Your megadungeon come,

your will be done

in pen-and-paper, as it is on computers.

Give us each day our daily fun,

and forgive us our trolling,

as we also have forgiven others'.

And lead us not into degeneration,

but deliver us from dumb.

Amen.

(Note: I'm a weird creature -- a devout Christian with a sense of humor. Before you start crying blasphemy etc.)

Edited by Endrosz
  • Like 5

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

Time to create a new religion. The name is obvious. Now I just need to come up with some cosmology 'n stuff. Shouldn't be too hard, after all, if you can create good RPGs, you've already ascended to godhood, and with a solid god as a basis, creating a new monotheistic religion is a breeze. And since ye olde religions plagiarize from each other rather liberally, I shouldn't be much ashamed if I do that as well, so without further ado, here's Sawyerism's basic prayer:

Upleveled be your name.

Your megadungeon come,

your will be done

Amen.

(Note: I'm a weird creature -- a devout Christian with a sense of humor. Before you start crying blasphemy etc.)

In the name of the Sawyer, the MCA, and the Holy Cain, amen.

• Like 4

Upleveled be your name.

Your megadungeon come,

your will be done

Amen.

At least when people say "How do you know God exists" we can say "He has a vlog on youtube."

• Like 4

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Sawyer, god of history, balance and games. a direct competitor of Ladamo

His titles are "He who explains things to fans", "developer", (a title with an arcane meaning lost to time) and "the assessor"

Sawyer was a mortal whose exclusive duty it was to make sure that every game he made was well balanced and enjoyable. He spent his life travelling the world looking for games, any game that was well balanced and enjoyable would be brought back home to be analysed and recorded.

After Sawyer Ascended, he continued on his quest, offering those who invent games but have creative issues advice from unexpected perspectives.

If you encounter Sawyer, something that only happens if you make games, he will reward you with a gold piece for each well balanced game you've made. (Whether that is chess, checkers, or hide and seek is really irrelevant)

These gold pieces are enchanted with various wards and benefits, and no good comes of getting rid of the coins, which is a considered a great insult.

Priests of Sawyer are mandated to play many games, find the weaknesses in every game they find, exploit them, and then make a version which is better balanced. Most temples offer advice on history, game theory, a place to play games, and have cats roaming the halls. Because cats are a sacred animal to the Sawyerists.

The Attribute of Sawyer is a cat, symbolising serendipity, chaos theory, and curiosity.

During the festival of cattus interruptus, people celebrate with traditional sesame seed-based snacks, Honey-sesame-seed candy bars, sesame cakes, hamburgers with sesame seeds on the bun. It is common practice on this day to play your favourite games, and attempt to improve them in some way.

• Like 6

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

So you follow MCA? God of Dialogue and companionship?

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Can't we worship more than one gaming god? A plethora of them standing atop a mountain, garbed in long beards, surrounded by thunder and lightning, each complimenting the other.

• Like 5
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Come on, you all know Josh Sawyer is the king of the nerds. He's cool as a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce, including the rad hipster glasses. Articulate, hypnotic speaking voice - probably gained from voice lessons. Wicked smart. Wicked tatoo's. Hey Josh, what do your tatoo's say/mean?

A lot of gamers use fantasy as an escape from a world they can't necessarily fit into. This guy could fit into the world if he wanted to, but he chooses to be a gamer because he actually loves it. Thats the guy I want designing my game.

• Like 2

Over here, in the crumbling but still fell Ziggurat of Gygax we are eyeing these heretics with scant, nut not complacent, interest.

And in that very ziggurat, a set of galleries known as S1 forms its bowels, otherwise known as the Tomb of Horrors.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Be ye followers of me, know that "might" and "magic" are but mere words in the greater balance. Those who strive to disrupt the balance by clinging to words, shall be guilty in my eyes. And the guilty shall inherit the Hound.

• Like 2

Nothing gold can stay.

no god has ever bothered to actually explain, stand up, and logically defend his work, rules, or ideas.

Well, they have, but it usually goes like this:

"Why?! WHY?! BECAUSE *VAPORIZE*! LOLZ!"

:)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u