What will game cost on release?

It'll probably be the same to purchase now as you would purchasing upon release. But backing now would give you the peace of mind of knowing that you are helping fund its development.

Then again, you could conceivably save money if you were to wait some time after release and take advantage of a steam or gog sale.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

It'll probably be the same to purchase now as you would purchasing upon release. But backing now would give you the peace of mind of knowing that you are helping fund its development.

Yeah but paing "after" they made this game is in my opinion also important (or even more at this stage). Becouse you will be founding possible continuation and "rewording them" for a good job. So it's also important.

I don't know much about dollars (i live in difrent country) but it will propably be not to much expensive .. expecionally like blizzard games where you must pab 4 times normal "game prize" to get actual game and every "playtru" for every part is propably lesser then 8 hours.

It's an interesting question. While I believe in value for my money, the price of a product has historically been based upon the retail fee. In retail, everyone along the chain of production, from developer to the storefront, gets a cut of the price. The developer would actually only get a small bit of that, if any, depending on the publisher agreement.

So what are we paying for? The product, yes, and also, we're advance funding the next product in the line. Does that mean we get the next one pro bono? Of course not! We'll be funding the NEXT one down the line, and so on. And of course, the developers should probably get a profit, after expenses, too. :)

I've said all that to indicate that I would be very very surprised at a 60 dollar price tag for a digital release. I would be moderately surprised by a 40 dollar price tag. Ultimately it's up to them to figure out a good price point wherein they can make a reasonable profit. I hope this game does well!

If you want it just get on release stop waiting for steam sales they are hurting the industry as a whole.

There's no evidence of this.  Yes, if everyone bought a game payed higher prices it would be better for people who make the games, but there is no evidence that everyone who buys at steam sale price would buy it at full price.

• Like 4

If you want it just get on release stop waiting for steam sales they are hurting the industry as a whole.

There's no evidence of this.  Yes, if everyone bought a game payed higher prices it would be better for people who make the games, but there is no evidence that everyone who buys at steam sale price would buy it at full price.

Bingo. If anything, these sale prices indicate that there is a massive market that will not purchase them at the previously non-discounted price. If anything, lower prices encourage people to take risks and allow a company to build a clientele which (if their games are enjoyed) will be more likely to possess a future time preference that will purchase the game at a higher rate. I am coming to believe that a great many game developers do not understand the new macroeconomic realities of the western world.

• Like 5

Saying that, the game have already been paid for and will not be shipped to stores, only purchased digitally. So the price to be honest shouldn't been more than 10-15$. But it probably will be higher, because you know, everybody wants to earn money.

Yes, those pesky concerns like rent and food.

• Like 2

If you check the Kickstarter page, the $25 contribution level says, "This price is only available for those who help fund before the game is released!" That means the digital download price should start at more than $25 on release. It'll then presumably decline as the demand drops.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

If you check the Kickstarter page, the $25 contribution level says, "This price is only available for those who help fund before the game is released!" That means the digital download price should start at more than $25 on release. It'll then presumably decline as the demand drops.

I will be surprised if they charge more than 30-40.  A full retail AAA whatever you want to call it game is 55-60 and I can't see them going that high.

Saying that, the game have already been paid for and will not be shipped to stores, only purchased digitally. So the price to be honest shouldn't been more than 10-15$. But it probably will be higher, because you know, everybody wants to earn money.

People buying games have to pay rent and food.  I'm not saying that I know the optimal price, but that argument cuts both ways.

People buying games have to pay rent and food.  I'm not saying that I know the optimal price, but that argument cuts both ways.

.... no. 

A thousand times no.

If you can't afford something, you do not buy it. Spare me the "BUT I WANT IT" fallacy of an argument.

You price products based on how much it would take to break even versus how much the market can bear. 

I cannot believe (actually, yes I can) that you are actually suggesting that the consumers subjective needs trumps the creators objective needs.

Eternity, right now, has a loss of 73,986.

This is their freaking job. They can't make video games just cause.

Edited by Bryy

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the devs gets payed during the creation of the game from the games budget and after release they take part in other games creation and get payed from that's game budget? And if they not working on other games their contract expires, I think one of the CEO's of Obsidian stated that on this forum. So their rent and food during the creation process is covered right now. 

And all that means that any cash from sales goes into company's income and will not necessary go for devs rent and food.

Sharp. I refuse to believe that you don't know what I was getting at, which was you implying that making money is somehow inherently bad. Or rather, more than the mythical Just Enough.

but don't the devs gets payed during the creation of the game

They're investing their time and energy.

Some of the resource is salaried, but their creative investment only pays once they release. Any spare capital can be poured into the next project/s, paid as bonus or leveraged to secure new IP... known as doing business... 

$30-$40 is a fair price for the product, ensuring continuing support, development and a stable company capable of expanding its product base to our benefit. 

• Like 2

Are you gonna throw rocks at me? What about now?

What about now?

here's what i will do. i want to back this but pledging 35$ wont get me an early beta access key so i wont be taking that option.

so i will wait, for the game to be released, and IF its 50$ or more, i will pirate it. yep, i am a horible person....that likes rpgs...that wants a good game at a decent price...i know, i want too much.

here's what i will do. i want to back this but pledging 35$ wont get me an early beta access key so i wont be taking that option.

so i will wait, for the game to be released, and IF its 50$ or more, i will pirate it. yep, i am a horible person....that likes rpgs...that wants a good game at a decent price...i know, i want too much.

You want early access, but you're not willing to pay for it? That's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. 

Also, the game itself is not likely to be more than $45. 

• Like 3

here's what i will do. 

1) Why would you *need* an early beta access key? 

2) If you enjoy good RPGs, why do you feel it necessary to steal them as opposed to supporting the creator and thereby ensuring newer, more innovative, RPGs in the  future? 

Gaming is not a right. There is nothing heroic, admirable or even remotely acceptable about stealing content because it doesn't meet some arbitrary price standard. 

• Like 6

Are you gonna throw rocks at me? What about now?

What about now?

here's what i will do.

2) If you enjoy good RPGs, why do you feel it necessary to steal them as opposed to supporting the creator and thereby ensuring newer, more innovative, RPGs in the  future? 

Gaming is not a right. There is nothing heroic, admirable or even remotely acceptable about stealing content because it doesn't meet some arbitrary price standard.

Seriously. There's not even the excuse of "Oh, well I like what this developer is doing, but don't advocate the way this publisher is, to me, just milking them for a product for profit and detracting from the creative quality of the product's potential, u_u". Which still isn't really an excuse to pirate, but it's at least a valid point sometimes.

This game was Kickstarted, directly by the development team. Pirating this is like telling your neighbor you really like all the time he spends on his paintings, then stealing one in the night to get a high-quality copy of, then hanging that on your wall. Instead of just buying one from him, or commissioning one or something.

"I really like what you're doing, but don't really care about you getting paid for your effort and costs. K THX BAI!"

• Like 3

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

What the frack is this?

Seriously, what the bloody hell is this?

• Like 8

You guys will be surprised that Obsidian may end up turning a higher profit during sales. But regardless, hardcore fans will buy it on Day1

Hardcore fans would have backed it on Day One of the Kickstarter.

Edited by Leferd
  • Like 3

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

here's what i will do.

Seriously. There's not even the excuse of "Oh, well I like what this developer is doing, but don't advocate the way this publisher is, to me, just milking them for a product for profit and detracting from the creative quality of the product's potential, u_u". Which still isn't really an excuse to pirate, but it's at least a valid point sometimes.

This game was Kickstarted, directly by the development team. Pirating this is like telling your neighbor you really like all the time he spends on his paintings, then stealing one in the night to get a high-quality copy of, then hanging that on your wall. Instead of just buying one from him, or commissioning one or something.

"I really like what you're doing, but don't really care about you getting paid for your effort and costs. K THX BAI!"

Seriously.

I had more to write, but gizmmo's post was so mindbogglingly stupid that I can't even begin to formulate a proper response. So I just stopped.

• Like 2