Any hints on the length of game in hours?

I think Josh said he won't give a specific number because it's impossible. Some people can finish a game faster than others. I myself take a long time to finish games since I go slowly and take in the surroundings and explore nooks and crannies before moving on. 

That said, Josh said it's between BG and BG2 length. 

• Like 3

Calibrating...

I think Josh said he won't give a specific number because it's impossible. Some people can finish a game faster than others. I myself take a long time to finish games since I go slowly and take in the surroundings and explore nooks and crannies before moving on. 

I'm the kind that wants to stop and smell the roses, to really "experience" it at my own pace.

I'm just hoping there's lots of roses to smell.

I'm the kind that wants to stop and smell the roses, to really "experience" it at my own pace.

I'm just hoping there's lots of roses to smell.

Just as long as you don't berate other players for not looking at everything and talking to everyone.

If it's between BG and BG2, that would be pretty awesome.  Also, as far as it being impossible to estimate the length of a game, I don't think that's true.   If you google "how long to complete Baldur's gate" you'll see that there are sites that specialize in this type of thing.  They keep track of how long to complete main story, completionist, etc.    No reason somebody couldn't say between 80-120 hours depending on if you stick to the main quest, do a lot of side quests, etc.  I wouldn't look for Obsidian to say "it's 43 hours long".

If it's between BG and BG2, that would be pretty awesome.  Also, as far as it being impossible to estimate the length of a game, I don't think that's true.   If you google "how long to complete Baldur's gate" you'll see that there are sites that specialize in this type of thing.  They keep track of how long to complete main story, completionist, etc.    No reason somebody couldn't say between 80-120 hours depending on if you stick to the main quest, do a lot of side quests, etc.  I wouldn't look for Obsidian to say "it's 43 hours long".

I remember one of the developers (I think Josh) saying they were developing Icewind Dale and they thought it would be a 30 hour game when actually it was like 80+ hours. That's why he said he doesn't like giving a concrete number because it'll never be accurate.

Especially with a game of this scope. Very FEW games come close to the length, breadth, scope, etc. of Infinity Engine games. With bigger games, you have to extrapolate on a game length if you really want to give some sort of finite number. But in reality, this isn't really the best choice. 

To the OP, I wouldn't be worried about the game length. Josh said Baldur's Gate 2 was....MASSIVE. And that PoE won't be BG2 "massive" but be "comfortably" within range of it's length. In other words, between BG1 and BG2. 

Keep in mind, they will hopefully give us an expansion and/or mods will extend the game's length. Replaying the game doesn't hurt either.

• Like 1

Calibrating...

I think Josh said he won't give a specific number because it's impossible.

I think he said that it's too early to give specific numbers and that he will give the time he needs to play through Pillars of Eternity.

see quote

Few months ago, you mentioned the game length is going to be similar to Infinity games. Is it more like Icewind Dale (40-50 hours), or Baldur's Gate 2 (100-200 hours)? Sorry for my English, thanks for reply.

I don't think we'll know for quite a while. I know that's not the answer you were looking for, but I'd rather wait give out times. Based on previous experiences, what I am likely to do is give out the time it takes me, personally, to play through the game. Individual times vary too widely for me to speculate.

a newer quote from an eurogamer Interview:

We want to make this a very big game, and right now it is a very big game. I have no idea what the final hour output is going to be - I'm not even going to guess at that ... because I know better than to say

Edited by Prometheus
  • Like 1

Me too.

Of course, given that I've played similar types of games before, having a point of reference (an "average" completion time, etc.) is helpful, because I can accurately apply the difference between my time and those average times of previously played games to the likely playtime of this game.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

This is of course a question about mileage, your CRPG veterancy and playstyle (completionist or not), but BG2 - SoA was about 10-15 hours for the main story and 30-50 for the side quests, adding quite a bit of reloading there. As for BG1 - without the Sword Coast expansion, the numbers would be 6-8 hours for main plot, and 10-20 for side quests. Bear in my mind, that many beginners of those games spent 100-200 hours on them in their first playthroughs.

So, my guesstimate: 8-12 hours for main quest arc, and 15-30 for the rest. In total, about 30-40 hours of gameplay for someone who knows their way around CRPGs.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Back in the days,  BG1 and BG2 were considered 60 hours games, but in reality there was way more disparity between playthroughs. Probably more in the 30 to 80 range.

Some people maximize their playthrough to avoid losing time in back and forth, fight, etc. That is something only possible on replay or by checking a walkthrough first though. Others do no care and take their time. That is how you end up with DAO complexionist playthrough that take between 45 and 120 hours. The difficulty level also play a part.

• Like 1

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

I'd say 20-ish if you're just looking to beat it 40-50-ish if you're looking to really beat just about everything and maybe a bit longer if you're going to every last tiny thing and read everything you come across. Really I'm more interested in how much replay a game has than it's over all length. You can beat FTL in an hour or 2 but it's got near unlimited replay value. I'm just hoping there is enough mutually exclusive content that I'll be enticed to play through 3-4 times.

• Like 2

K is for Kid, a guy or gal just like you. Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

I'm more interested in how much replay a game has than it's over all length. You can beat FTL in an hour or 2 but it's got near unlimited replay value. I'm just hoping there is enough mutually exclusive content that I'll be enticed to play through 3-4 times.

That's the post of the day, I reckon! :)

To me, this is what it all comes down to: Will PE have that replay value that BG and NWN2 had? I'll keep a special candle burning in the hopes that indeed does have that great replayability.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***