Armour & weapon designs (part V).

What is it about capes that make capes so awesome?

They billow

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

What is it about capes that make capes so awesome?

They (and cloaks) flow with movement and the wind and create an element of elegance that we've long since abandoned. Stylish trench coats are our modern substitute, but I have to say that they fall a bit short of the mark despite their superior practicality.

• Like 2

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

I recently realised some issue I have with fantasy armours, even the better looking ones. Let me ilustrate it first:

tumblr_mpt36rOSpb1qc29lyo2_1280.png

So, why do designers keep making the characters look like they're wearing Etnies skate shoes? I understand that wide feet and ankles give the character more visual stability, but it's just moronic - every example of fencing manual states that you shouldn't have the feeling of the ground on which you're steping obstructed. Modern reenactors and fencers say that your fencing shoes should be light and delicate. So, just, why?

• Like 2

No crossguard or quillons on the sword either, combined with the lack of gauntlets I hope the young lady isn't too fond of her fingers. Very much style over substance there.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

It's time to inject some Warhammer into the topic! This particular design would work quite well for PoE's rogues, I reckon.

As always, I feel that going for such highly detailed and ornamental look is far superior to the latest trend of just making everything bigger, more spiky and flashy.

The saber is a neat touch.

TeZEHG8.jpg

• Like 5

No crossguard or quillons on the sword either, combined with the lack of gauntlets I hope the young lady isn't too fond of her fingers. Very much style over substance there.

That's a bit harsh. It's not like european longswods are the ultimate template of what a sword should look like. The form reminds me of certain chinese swords. You know what? As mysterious as the area above the handle is, I'm sure it has a magical function and I like it. The basic fuller almost doesn't fit with the rest of the sword, but it still works. The proportions are especially fine for a fantasy sword of this kind.

It's still very heavy looking, but not so that it breaks immersion.

The armour is a mixed bag. It's well painted and I love the decoration, but the basic shapes are all over the place. Especially the greaves/boots, yes. This is done, as mentioned, to ground characters, to give weight to their lower half. (as characters with small feet tend to look unbalanced and comical) Just look at various space marines and japanese mecha. Same thing.

• Like 1

======================================
http://janpospisil.daportfolio.com/ - my portfolio
http://janpospisil.blogspot.cz/ - my blog

Never mind that woman's armor...much as I love capes/cloaks and such, I'd guess that much flapping cloth during a major sword fight on a windy day might be a bit of a ... hindrance? Maybe it's just her ceremonial drape. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Never mind that woman's armor...much as I love capes/cloaks and such, I'd guess that much flapping cloth during a major sword fight on a windy day might be a bit of a ... hindrance? Maybe it's just her ceremonial drape. :)

That much flapping cloth anytime would serve as a shroud for anyone foolish enough to wear it.  I certainly enjoy capes and cloaks, but that's a bit much. :blink:

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

That much flapping cloth anytime would serve as a shroud for anyone foolish enough to wear it.  I certainly enjoy capes and cloaks, but that's a bit much. :blink:

Maybe it's a defensive strategy, called "where is my body actually located? *smirk*" :)

Maybe it's only for use on really windy battlefields. Instead of finding the high ground, you find the up-wind ground, and your opponent has to deal with tangles and billows of cloth in his face. *shrug*

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Maybe it's a defensive strategy, called "where is my body actually located? *smirk*" :)

Maybe it's only for use on really windy battlefields. Instead of finding the high ground, you find the up-wind ground, and your opponent has to deal with tangles and billows of cloth in his face. *shrug*

People actually used their cloaks as fencing implements (weapon catching tool, extra padding for the off hand or just a distraction). There's even scene of a duel with the use of a skirt in that manner in the original Wiedźmin (the Witcher) short stories.

• Like 1

People actually used their cloaks as fencing implements (weapon catching tool, extra padding for the off hand or just a distraction). There's even scene of a duel with the use of a skirt in that manner in the original Wiedźmin (the Witcher) short stories.

True enough, but if you have enough fabric draped from your shoulders to go parasailing, you've overdone it. :p

• Like 1

True enough, but if you have enough fabric draped from your shoulders to go parasailing, you've overdone it. :p

I mean, I'm not even that much into this particular design. Elspeth was just the first on my mind to ilustrate the heavy feet problem.

• Like 1

We've mentioned capes, cloaks and trenchcoats, but how about surcoats?

652_max.jpg

Or, for maximum cool factor, a surcoat and a cloak:

mediumsergent20templier20xiiis.jpg

Would love to see this second design in PoE - which brings us to a point...Will PoE have layered armour? Probably not, but has it been mentioned before perhaps?

Edited by Karranthain
  • Like 6