Armour & weapon designs (part V).

That's indeed a russian-style helm. But there is also a definite cross-over between Russian/Byzantine cultures. 

I attached some reference examples. 

We do have a couple of the designs in the game! They are a bit simpler though, no chain mesh. But if we make any more variants, we will make them more elaborate. 

Speaking of which, here are some very cool Novgorod Republic (militia) designs (late XIV century):

xOPawyg.jpg

WKJunw0.jpg

runNPwL.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

if katana appear in POE

Could u please make is to be a two hand weapon?

because katana is a two hand weapon

It's more of a 1.5 hand deal. There's even styles that require the use of a katana and a second weapon.

Given that the blade is no longer than that of an arming sword, that shouldn't be to surprising.

If you're looking for a purely 2-handed japanese bladed weapon, try (n)o-dachis.

Well, if they exist in the world i don't see why there couldn't be a few around, maybe as "souvenirs" of the high and wealthy. Though there is little reason why anybody would know how to use them if they aren't associated with one of the cultures in the area the game takes place in.

So could be a mid-high value "vendor" item, or a quest item, but probably not as a weapon.

Edited by Azrael Ultima

@Azrael AFAIK there isn't a "Feudal Japan" stand-in in P:E (although they did say that Island Aumaua have some Japanese as well as Polynesian influence to their clothing). IMO a katana would be out of place, since it evokes the samurai so strongly. At least Forgotten Realms had Kara-Tur which made it somewhat plausible that a few might find their way to the Sword Coast.

I've no doubt someone will mod them in soon enough, though.

More's the pity.

• Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Do the monks of Poe use easten martial arts? I was personally hoping that they would use something like Pankration, the old Spartan form of hand to hand combat or other wrestling moves, rather than the usual Bruce Lee stuff.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I have no Idea what style they are using but monks appear to resemble the Shoalin monks more than any European monk. Katana's come in different sizes (they aren't all called katana's but essentially look identical just smaller). They can be 1 handed and even dagger sized.

I doubt Obsidian can fit that in their animation budget, but it would be cool if you could choose (visually) different combat styles for your monk. Wouldn't mind me some capoeira myself.

European monks aren't really known for their martial arts, so any fighting monks are going to evoke a certain Shaolin feel.

There's a whole bunch of Nihonto (japanese swords, literally), from the really big O-dachi with blades of 1 meter and more, down to the Wakizashi, which can be as short as 30 cm (1 shaku, similar to a foot).

The Katana was really more of a ceremonial thing, mostly coming into use to late to be used for warfare.

The Tanto is a knife, which, while looking similar, isn't really a sword.

• Like 2

I doubt Obsidian can fit that in their animation budget, but it would be cool if you could choose (visually) different combat styles for your monk. Wouldn't mind me some capoeira myself.European monks aren't really known for their martial arts, so any fighting monks are going to evoke a certain Shaolin feel.There's a whole bunch of Nihonto (japanese swords, literally), from the really big O-dachi with blades of 1 meter and more, down to the Wakizashi, which can be as short as 30 cm (1 shaku, similar to a foot).The Katana was really more of a ceremonial thing, mostly coming into use to late to be used for warfare.The Tanto is a knife, which, while looking similar, isn't really a sword.

Templars were monks or priest in the European vain as it would pertain to fighters, but that is covered already with paladins.

Edited by Zansatsu

I doubt Obsidian can fit that in their animation budget, but it would be cool if you could choose (visually) different combat styles for your monk. Wouldn't mind me some capoeira myself.

European monks aren't really known for their martial arts, so any fighting monks are going to evoke a certain Shaolin feel.

There's a whole bunch of Nihonto (japanese swords, literally), from the really big O-dachi with blades of 1 meter and more, down to the Wakizashi, which can be as short as 30 cm (1 shaku, similar to a foot).

The Katana was really more of a ceremonial thing, mostly coming into use to late to be used for warfare.

The Tanto is a knife, which, while looking similar, isn't really a sword.

I like your post.... however are you kidding me?  The Katana very much was used in war and combat and while it was a very ceremonial weapon (the Japanese are a very ceremonial people to begin with) it most certainly saw plenty of real use.  Hell they were even common dress until shortly after the Meiji Revolution and a ban went in on them.

I like your post.... however are you kidding me?  The Katana very much was used in war and combat and while it was a very ceremonial weapon (the Japanese are a very ceremonial people to begin with) it most certainly saw plenty of real use.  Hell they were even common dress until shortly after the Meiji Revolution and a ban went in on them.

That was a bit over stated, but it is fair to say that during the most warlike period, the katana was a fairly minor weapon (compared to say the bow and arrow). It was basically a sidearm.

The whole cult of the katana really got going much later during the Tokugawa era when Japan was largely a police state and samurai largely did not very much except collect taxes from the less fortunate. 

• 3 weeks later...

That was a bit over stated, but it is fair to say that during the most warlike period, the katana was a fairly minor weapon (compared to say the bow and arrow). It was basically a sidearm.

The whole cult of the katana really got going much later during the Tokugawa era when Japan was largely a police state and samurai largely did not very much except collect taxes from the less fortunate. 

Even more so than sword in western use maybe. A sidearm.

Infantry would either be archers with some sidearms (swords, katanas, maces etc.), or carry spears or halberds/naginatas.

Cavalry likewise, archers with sidearms or lances/spears with sidearms.

And then you have some special formations with 2-handed swords or axes, or morningstars, or whatever.

And then there's nobility using whatever they feel like using.

And then there's exceptions to the rule.

• 3 weeks later...

The discussion at this point seems to be pretty much dead, as well as pointless.

Pointless? With so many images of sharp weapons, this discussion has more points than any other, by far. 6_u

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Heh. I join the forums and the first thing I find is the pointy thread declaring itself dead and pointless.

Also, I am definitely abducting that image to throw in as supporting imagery for my thesis. I already have enough from German manuals but that one just illustrates the point I make at one point about historic interpretation perfectly. Assuming that is an actual historical source, any idea where that image is specifically from so I can give it a proper reference?