Armour & weapon designs (part V).

This spring question to me, are we going to see different sized equipment? It was kinda funny that you can in DA:O run around as human fitted into dwarven armor :)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

The difference between him and me is that I at least give a reason to why I dislike something. Also if you pay attention he said "the most appallingly bad piece of artwork I have ever seen", meaning that his artistic attempts are better(when you make such broad statements be prepared to answer for them). I would have understood a dislike for the "armor" and "weapon" that was the point, but no he said artwork which is just plain ridiculous because it has great artwork that obviously has skill in it.

Brevity is important in forums and not everything deserves rich in-depth criticism. Still, for your benefit, I'll expand a little.

Art is not technique. Technique enables the art. A child can create a piece that is emotionally stirring or wildly creative despite possessing little talent with a brush. That is art.

The artist of that painting could have designed an interesting or dramatic hammer. They chose to go with an ineffectively-sized matt hammer with zero decorative value. The artist could have gone for an interesting background that set a scene. Instead they went for generic colour mist with some very lazy lightning and rose petals thrown in. The artist could have created an interesting outfit for the woman within (and one, I hasten to add, that could expose as much flesh as he likes). Instead they went trawled through the fantasy eroticism habberdashery looking for individual items they thought would be sexy (hoop earrings, thong, minimalist boob plate, solo pauldron) and slapped them on. Finally, the artist could have chosen to create a character with any sense of personality or even affect. There it is.

Now, as I said, I went out on a limb with my statement of worst art ever - partly because I've seen some terrible art in my time but more because the greater debate should be whether that picture even qualifies as art. I am neither a master artist nor a master technician, but like the child I referred to in my second paragraph I at least have basic imagination and that puts me ahead of the artist.

I think that covers it pretty comprehensively, so I'll politely step away from the picture and its undue attention and let the thread get back on track.

• Like 1

Did you just give me the whole what is art shtick... Yeah I won't touch that one with a ten foot pole.

As for the picture, while it may not be one of his betters it's still head and shoulders above most art that I see and I do see a lot of it. As for the details, that is just his style, most of his pictures are like that. http://abraaolucas.deviantart.com/gallery/

Instead of just admitting that you made a mistake in how you expressed yourself and just saying that you don't personally like the picture, you continue to dig yourself a hole by attacking his style of drawing. He is not a bad artist and the picture is not badly drawn you are just backpedaling from your overly broad statement.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

http://artgerm.deviantart.com/gallery/

Knock yourself out. Also come to the cool pictures thread I will be posting a ton of art.

Hey art if fantastic!  One of my cousins is a colorist and concept artist and I used to keep in touch with a few in the film biz from time to time.

Massive Black I believe, CGI Society.

Keep it up!  Great work! 

Did see the Squidder Kick Starter by 44Flood?

Edited by StrangeCat
  • Like 1

Seriously, Sarex? You just got a list of specific critiques of the piece. I don't even...

None of the things he said had any merit on the quality of the art, he critiqued his style which is a personal preference.

Hey art if fantastic!  One of my cousins is a colorist and concept artist and I used to keep in touch with a few in the film biz from time to time.

Massive Black I believe, CGI Society.

Keep it up!  Great work! 

Did see the Squidder Kick Starter by 44Flood?

CG Society is where I get most of my pictures. :)

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 1

@Kjaamor,

To be fair, you're evaluation is of the subject matter/motif, and not of the artwork itself.

If you didn't even know what a hammer was, or a female humanoid, or any of the actual basis for that piece of artwork, what would you think of that piece of artwork (just how colors, lines, shapes, etc. work together on that canvas)? That's an evaluation of art. Not how you think the hammer should be designed, etc.

Basically, disliking the design of those things in no way makes the whole thing bad artwork.

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I never wanna read anything from you ever again criticising any aspect of any game, film or general piece of art. Well, except you can provide an example, where you "do better"

The difference between him and me is that I at least give a reason to why I dislike something. Also if you pay attention he said "the most appallingly bad piece of artwork I have ever seen", meaning that his artistic attempts are better(when you make such broad statements be prepared to answer for them). I would have understood a dislike for the "armor" and "weapon" that was the point, but no he said artwork which is just plain ridiculous because it has great artwork that obviously has skill in it.

Keep taking everything literally, it will bring you peace of mind and a great overall life!

Elan_song.gif

Keep taking everything literally, it will bring you peace of mind and a great overall life!

What are you talking about? Read what he said in the next post. Keep being such a wiseass I'm sure that will bring you even more happiness in life.

Came across this rare photo of an actual historical woman warrior in full armor. Thought it was pretty cool. They were known as onna-bugeisha, and favored the naginata and bow. The armor ought to look familiar enough though...

really nice to see a real armor for females.

my biggest hope for the armor design for PE is that they completly avoid the "war bikini". It is one of the most humiliating things i know in video games in general

• Like 1

I think the whole 'female' armor is a bit of a pointless topic. If we're being realistic most armor is unisex. Unless the woman is rockin' boobs as big as her head a sarashi or sports-bra equivalent would be about all thats needed to equip 'male' armor. For plate at least, as a male I can only cringe at how much more painful taking a blow to the chest in a chain mail hauberk would be for a women.

That said, having boobs in no way diminishes the effectiveness of the armor at preventing lethal blows. Most armors, even mails are worn with enough padding that reasonably endowed women would be able to wear them without having to redesign the armor.

For a game it really just comes down to how important is it for the player to be able to distinguish character sex?

While less practical for actual combat, I've always been a fan of the formal dress-styled armors. Radiant Historia offers two great examples on a male and female.
Viola.pngHugo.png

Another fantastic armour design by Nick Keller:

5BtaMuf.jpg

IApEETj.jpg

These do remind me of Morrowind's aesthetic slightly; the armour has that "alien" look to it - and yet it's fairly practical. The chainmail veil is a nice detail.

I only wish more fantasy artists would go down this route.

• Like 8

And someone told me LotR had all normal and generic armors... lol

That was me. And what I said was "The Lord of the Rings movies are high fantasy too, and tons of equipment in those movies was mundane looking (and great looking). Keep in mind that what we saw here was starting equipment, not artifacts or even magical gear." Like what this high-levelled badass is wearing.Aragorn3.jpg

That said, hopefully we can look forward to sensible and awesome-looking equipment like the concept art above (is that from the Hobbit?) as well. 

I guess you were the only one talking about normal and generic armors... lol

Edited by salo
  • Like 3

I'm actually not a fan of the 100 Years War period of armour. It looks... well, boring. Compare to earlier crusader-style heavy mailles with those kick-ass surcoats, or later full-plates that are just gorgeous. Maximillian armour, or the Milanese style, for example. The stuff shown above, which looks maybe early 1400s style is... just not as interesting. 

On the flip side, there's not enough exposure or inspiration in fantasy from Arab and Indian armour. That **** looks fantastic. 

Edit: Also, I really don't like pig-faced bascinets. Think they are ugly as all hell. 

Edited by Greensleeve
  • Like 1