Armour & weapon designs (part V).

MasterPrudent - you are correct! Tinting of custom color is relegated mostly to cloth pieces (we do not allow tinting of metals), and on each outfit we try to create a section that players' custom color can be represented in.

The issue in a lot of cases, however, answers Karranthain's comment - due to the size of the characters on screen, what Aragon is wearing can be confused with leather, we wanted to make it more clear to the player if they were wearing mail or leather, so all mail armor is clearly mail, etc..  This level of clarity is more important for gameplay quality. Not that we do not mix or layer outfits, but we still opt to make it as clear as possible to the player. 

• Like 7

Makes sense.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Karr - I think a couple of female outfits have overcoats, but overall not yet. They should be though!

Thanks for a heads up Dimitri and keep up the good work!

I can trade some plumes in exchange for the information. ;)

PWgoSLz.jpg

Edited by Karranthain
  • Like 1

After taking a closer look at the PC Gamer preview, here are some more designs from the game:

Brigandine:

efyzwTm.png

Scale armour:

SLjs2zO.png

Leather armour:

FQq5JEe.png

Simple clothing:

kKwuS1k.png

The HAT!

FIBl2kt.png

Surcoat:

jtSGf1L.png

Aumaua?

PjKTxLr.png

Lots of great stuff, I particularly love the look of the brigandine. Also, that looks like a first appereance of the Aumaua in-game?

• Like 4

The brigandine is actually ma favourite too so far. And yes, I reckon, you have found the first Aumauan in-game. Congratz! :)

To be more informative: I like the brigandine, since it comes across as a bit worn and just realistical - and it looks good too.

As for the scale armour, I still wish their metal plating didn't reflect light as much. Of course, new armours do that, and they probably polished the bejeebers out of them, but I'd love to see more grimy and dull metal plates on armour.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

As for the scale armour, I still wish their metal plating didn't reflect light as much. Of course, new armours do that, and they probably polished the bejeebers out of them, but I'd love to see more grimy and dull metal plates on armour.

It's likely (at least partially) intent on distinguishing metal from non-metal, at the camera's typical distance. Kinda like how they had to make "fatter" rapiers and longer daggers, etc., than what would be exactly proportional, in order to maintain the distinctive characteristics of the given piece of equipment.

Also, though, that seems like one of those things (armor shininess, that is) that probably hasn't gotten its last dose of tweaking, yet.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Surcoat:

jtSGf1L.png

Surcoat or Grecian/Aedyrean style tunic?

Excellent article, strange how some of the components haven't changed in a millenia or so.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Surcoat:

jtSGf1L.png

Surcoat or Grecian/Aedyrean style tunic?

You're right, it could be a tunic - there doesn't seem to be any armour underneath.

By the way, I don't think Eowyn's armour has been posted in these topics yet:

U5M9NGB.jpg

J8jrDpc.jpg

Had to be rectified! Absolutely love it.

• Like 3

Never thought the actress was correct, doesn't gel with Eowyn's looks in the books for me. That said i'd love to see a dark age game one day where heavy mail was the height of personal armour, with maybe rare and expensive Cataphract plate coats from far off Byzantium.

• Like 2

Tea for the teapot!

I think I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the previous piece is the most appallingly bad piece of artwork I have ever seen.

Edited by Kjaamor
  • Like 2

I think I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the previous piece is the most appallingly bad piece of artwork I have ever seen.

LOL, do better.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

LOL, do better.

I never wanna read anything from you ever again criticising any aspect of any game, film or general piece of art. Well, except you can provide an example, where you "do better"

• Like 1

Elan_song.gif

I never wanna read anything from you ever again criticising any aspect of any game, film or general piece of art. Well, except you can provide an example, where you "do better"

The difference between him and me is that I at least give a reason to why I dislike something. Also if you pay attention he said "the most appallingly bad piece of artwork I have ever seen", meaning that his artistic attempts are better(when you make such broad statements be prepared to answer for them). I would have understood a dislike for the "armor" and "weapon" that was the point, but no he said artwork which is just plain ridiculous because it has great artwork that obviously has skill in it.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

@Karranthain That does look good and pretty realistic, other than the hammer/mattock which would probably be a bit unwieldy as a real weapon.

Unless dwarves actually are much stronger than humans, of course.

I think that they are, at least according to lotr.wikia:

Because of the threat of Morgoth over the world, Aulë made them very strong, both in body and character. (...) They were physically very strong, had great endurance, especially in the ability to resist heat and cold, and they made light of heavy burdens.

Here's another great piece:

YwTEchz.jpg

• Like 5