Armour & weapon designs (part V).

It's been mentioned that we'll be able to dye selected areas of the worn armours in the vein of IE games. It'd be really cool if we'd also be able to display heraldry of our choosing (it could be on surcoats, on shields or perhaps even cloaks).

Imagine having your party donning stylish unified heraldry while roaming the lands of PE. Would be particularly nifty for the Adventure Hall made groups. As an added bonus, you'd be able to tell members of your party in a particularly big brawl at a glance.

Here's an example of just how much it can add visually:

GM0Yd6O.jpg

Indeed it looks amazing in this image, that something that I'd expect to see in First/third person, in Mount & Blade you could use custom coa, in witcher armor looked spectacular and some of the newer AAA medieval themed games took it further, but I doubt that this will be one of PE features..

It's been mentioned that we'll be able to dye selected areas of the worn armours in the vein of IE games. It'd be really cool if we'd also be able to display heraldry of our choosing (it could be on surcoats, on shields or perhaps even cloaks).

Imagine having your party donning stylish unified heraldry while roaming the lands of PE. Would be particularly nifty for the Adventure Hall made groups. As an added bonus, you'd be able to tell members of your party in a particularly big brawl at a glance.

Here's an example of just how much it can add visually:

GM0Yd6O.jpg

This kinds of pictures make me wonder if halberds and bills are really the best weapons to carry while climbing walls and ramparts. I mean, you kind of need hands to climb ladders, and while maybe later on, when earthworks became more popular the polearm could be used as a walking staff to support you, it still isn't as comfortable as side-arm. Not to mention movie version of Helm Deep's siege with Uruks using pikes.

Yeah, for climbing ladders and fighting in close quarters or cramped conditions, you'd probably want a sidearm (this is something many RPGs have failed to take into account, making it possible to navigate a 10 foot wide corridor while wielding a 16 foot long pike! :D ). Also rRemember that in the film of The Two Towers, the uruk hai who actually climbed the ladders didn't use their pikes.

As a side note, however, I'm loving the helmets in that picture! Sallets (both visored and open), barbutes, armets...this is how I picture fantasy RPGs, only with magic and monsters (i.e. how it used to look before the influences of WoW and anime).

• Like 1

Ludacris fools!

It's likely. We know, from this thread:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66165-the-world-realms-places-coats-of-arms/

that heraldry will feature in the game.

Thanks for the link. There it is indeed:

Unlike Euro heraldry, Eastern Reach heraldry is attached to the family name.  Individual family members use their own distinguishing devices as a badge overlaid on a shield, hung on their armor, or worn on a cloak.

Though it isn't a confirmation per se, it seems that it might be possible (i.e. applying heraldry to the armour worn by the party members).

Indeed it looks amazing in this image, that something that I'd expect to see in First/third person, in Mount & Blade you could use custom coa, in witcher armor looked spectacular and some of the newer AAA medieval themed games took it further, but I doubt that this will be one of PE features..

I reckon that the characters are definitely sufficiently detailed (see the screenshot on the previous page) for that feature to be included in the game. It wouldn't be exactly essential, but it could bring a lot of colour into play, here's another fine example:

3OTQvg8.jpg

As a side note, however, I'm loving the helmets in that picture! Sallets (both visored and open), barbutes, armets...this is how I picture fantasy RPGs, only with magic and monsters (i.e. how it used to look before the influences of WoW and anime).

That's why I love the Warhammer Fantasy aesthetic!

LS1B2TT.jpg

• Like 2

I reckon that the characters are definitely sufficiently detailed (see the screenshot on the previous page) for that feature to be included in the game. It wouldn't be exactly essential, but it could bring a lot of colour into play,

That exactly it, looking at any of the screenshots, I doubt that in any variant (except cloaks) we will see any details beyond some color smudges... Maybe the devs add some specific livery, but the ability to add your own as you suggested is something I'd be really surprised to see.

For example ~here is how it was done in mount & blade. You could pick (and mod) them:

Banners.jpg

but again its not a top down rpg and I am personally not familiar with any top down game with similar unit scale that done it to great effect.

Edited by Mor

I reckon that the characters are definitely sufficiently detailed (see the screenshot on the previous page) for that feature to be included in the game. It wouldn't be exactly essential, but it could bring a lot of colour into play,

That exactly it, looking at any of the screenshots, I doubt that in any variant (except cloaks) we will see any details beyond some color smudges... Maybe the devs add some specific livery, but the ability to add your own as you suggested is something I'd be really surprised to see.

For example ~here is how it was done in mount & blade. You could pick (and mod) them:

but again its not a top down rpg and I am personally not familiar with any top down game with similar unit scale that done it to great effect.

You're probably right. Still, one can hope!

In other assorted news:

iypUhg9.png

Hell yeah!

wbagGKR.jpg

2Gn1zXZ.jpg

• Like 2

I think "color smudges" might be a bit of an exaggeration. This is the age of like... quadruple the resolution of the old IE games, and even in those you could see details on the peeps. Just because it's more macro details (general "oh, that's chain" textures, and general shapes of armor pieces, coloring of filigree, etc.) doesn't mean it's all just tiny little blurry smudges. This isn't Starcraft, afterall. Our characters aren't going to be that tiny. :)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Question: does anybody know it the frog helm was ever actually used in combat, or was it just for jousting? Seems to me like it'd severely restrict peripheral vision, and the protection isn't likely to be that much improved over a sallet or an armet...making it ideal for jousting but less so for actual field use.

Just an aside. I don't mind it being in the game either way. :)

Ludacris fools!

I think "color smudges" might be a bit of an exaggeration. This is the age of like... quadruple the resolution of the old IE games, and even in those you could see details on the peeps. Just because it's more macro details (general "oh, that's chain" textures, and general shapes of armor pieces, coloring of filigree, etc.) doesn't mean it's all just tiny little blurry smudges. This isn't Starcraft, afterall. Our characters aren't going to be that tiny. :)

Indeed. Here's a very early screenshot:

qiqaaEi.jpg

That's a fair amount of detail I reckon. Heraldry would definitely be visible, even when zoomed out a fair bit. Whether it'll be included, though, is anybody's guess at this point.

Question: does anybody know it the frog helm was ever actually used in combat, or was it just for jousting? Seems to me like it'd severely restrict peripheral vision, and the protection isn't likely to be that much improved over a sallet or an armet...making it ideal for jousting but less so for actual field use.

Just an aside. I don't mind it being in the game either way. :)

It was primarily a tournament helm, aye. Whether it was actually used in combat...probably not. But I might be wrong about that.

But if you look at the more ornamented examples, such as this:

6c1rLsk.jpg

It seems rather unlikely. ;) Though to be honest, its inclusion in PE doesn't bother me in the slightest either.

By the way, is it just me or did anyone else picture that lil' fella from Lephys' avatar on top of that helm too? :-

Edited by Karranthain
  • Like 3

You're probably right. Still, one can hope!

hey, I was cheering for you guys to find some example where something like this worked, after all there are some pretty hardcore gamers out here ;)

Indeed. Here's a very early screenshot:

qiqaaEi.jpg

That's a fair amount of detail I reckon. Heraldry would definitely be visible, even when zoomed out a fair bit. Whether it'll be included, though, is anybody's guess at this point.phys' avatar on top of that helm too? :-

Sorry, but I think that that screenshot is little bit out of scale, just like this model from the recent art update:

pe-armor-scale-580.jpg

This is the in-game size that is far more likely that most of us will encounter:

10535.png

I am, going by this screenshot as point of reference, on screen model sizes:

post-55017-0-34893800-1398469787.png

Do you think that anyone can draw a dragon\falcon\tree or anything but the most blunt color patterns on those armors, without obscuring their function? Which is why I speculated that cloaks are the only way to make it work, or maybe thin tabard's:

22768.jpg

Edited by Mor

pe-circle-of-protection-thumb02.jpg

I'm assuming this will possibly the defauly zoom level - I've mentioned surcoats, shields and cloaks in my previous post, here are some nice examples:

nigFMUZ.jpg

nupQrnP.jpg

Ultimately we'll just have to wait and see. :)

On that note, we need more plumes!

7nQOBW8.jpg

Both suits of armour look absolutely amazing. Maximilian armour, I feel, would fit PE's aesthetic particularly well!

• Like 5

Reminds me of Mr Heston's El Cid.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I really like this one, it can work (depending on how many unique armor sets they plan to have) still IMO at this size color pattern will be the most identifiable feature.

122otif.jpg

Would definitely fit the paladin orders we've learned about in the latest update, here's another example:

FpHsbLe.jpg

Reminds me of Mr Heston's El Cid.

Indeed!

yzo9PAc.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the heads up, Sensuki. Here's a shot from the trailer, with a similar zoom level:

peWH2aO.jpg

What's interesting about this picture is that the guy in the harness looks like he's left handed (he's holding the shield in his right hand and what looks like a mace/hammer/pick in his left). Compare that with the other picture of characters facing the same direction who are clearly right-handed...does this mean that there could be left-handed characters in the game?

• Like 1

Ludacris fools!

I love this particular kind of dagger, the rondel dagger. The true rogues choice. Also good against leather and chain mail.   :yes: 

scheibendolch.jpg

13287.jpg

roundneil1oy2.jpg

Historical picture of people having loads of fun with rondel daggers.

1467-SD1.jpg

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 3

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet.