Armour & weapon designs (part V).

Coat, you have performed great deeds in service to the Cloth realm. Kneel, Coat... *touches sword to one shoulder* ... and arise *touches sword to other shoulder*, SUR Coat!

*cheering accompanied by dramatic music*

8)

Now to serious business, surcoats are too legit to quit. I approve, nay, DEMAND surcoats in my PoE!

And back to non-serious business for a quick second, "tabard" sounds like someone with a broken nose is just trying to say "tavern." :). Tabards are also splendid. That is all.

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

They might be optional to wear. Have few layers like clothing layer, next to "armor"...like they are doing in Kingdome come: Deliverance. I think people already mentioned it. There could be clothing layer, just eye candy like and armor layer.

Edit : Not sure if I posted this before, I think I have in one of previous threads, but this article has been expanded with some extra armors http://io9.com/the-weirdest-and-fiercest-helmets-from-the-age-of-armor-510686611

Edited by Tauron
  • Like 1

magic021.jpg

How about this female warrior? (Keeping up with the MtG theme of my recent posts):

-image-

Although I don't get why she holds a rapier and saber scabbard.

I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be a sabre with a fancy hilt/guard. She's holding it quite high up, away from the foreground of the illustrated space, and the tip of the blade is even farther away, still. So, I think it's just a perspective thing. 'Cause... if you really look at it, it looks a bit thick for a rapier. The perspective might be a bit exaggerated, in such a case. *Shrug*

Just my guess.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/65617-adam-at-work/?p=1428097

So we're going to get 28 different weapon types. 28. That bodes well, I feel. Given Josh's appreciation of historical weapons I'm convinced we'll see some fantastic weapons one typically wouldn't see in RPGs too. 

I'm really looking forward to polearms, so in celebration of the weapon variety, here's a bunch of art featuring polearms.

Halberd_guardian_by_likaspapaya.jpg

Phoenix_Guard_by_Nravizu.jpg

girl_01_by_onestepart-d329riz.jpg

assault_infantry_by_revoltingfriendship-

renaissance_guard_by_lordgood-d3aaz5t.jp

Man... I really need to get back into drawing, and do some sketches like that. /reminisce

Edited by Lephys

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/65617-adam-at-work/?p=1428097

So we're going to get 28 different weapon types. 28. That bodes well, I feel. Given Josh's appreciation of historical weapons I'm convinced we'll see some fantastic weapons one typically wouldn't see in RPGs too. 

I'm really looking forward to polearms, so in celebration of the weapon variety, here's a bunch of art featuring polearms.

That is indeed good news!

On a related note, it'd be nice if Obisidian would make an update focused on the armour & weapon designs as well as the weapon types, highlighting the most interesting ones.

:-

Aren't all weapon types known? from the wiki:

Hunting Bows

Warbows

Crossbows

Arbalests

Pistols

Blunderbusses

Arquebus

Rods

Wands

Sceptres

Daggers

Stilettos

Rapiers

Flails

Clubs

Hatchets

Spears

War hammers

Maces

Battle axes

Sabre

Swords

Pikes

Estocs

Morning stars

Quarterstaff

Pollaxes

Greatswords

Edited by Prometheus
  • Like 1

Hunting Bows

Warbows

Crossbows

Arbalests

Pistols

Blunderbusses

Arquebus

Rods

Wands

Sceptres

Daggers

Stilettos

Rapiers

Flails

Clubs

Hatchets

Spears

War hammers

Maces

Battle axes

Sabre

Swords

Pikes

Estocs

Morning stars

Quarterstaff

Pollaxes

Greatswords

Looks like it, given that that is indeed 28 types and they all seem reasonable. I also remember a number of those weapons from various posts by Josh. I'm quite happy with that list, I have to say. 

Even if that's perfectly accurate, we could still see some changes before finalization.

However, the list seems pretty legit, either way.

Judging by the wiki, it appears they've actually done the one thing few fantasy RPGs in the world do: used proper names!! I'm almost sold on this point alone. ;)

I have but few requests: (in fairness, from what I've seen, it looks like this won't be an issue anyway)

1) no big pauldrons - the character needs to be able to see over them, and also move a shoulder that is bearing them.

2) no spikes - seriously, spikey armour is a bad idea. Don't do it! I know it's fantasy, but for anything like that, one needs to consider: is this design better? If it is, why didn't they do it in real life? Also, bear in mind that you won't be wearing your armour all the time...good luck taking it off and storing it without pricking yourself. ;)  Fancy armour should be decorated with gold filigree, and things like that, not spikes.

3) no unrealistically big weapons - I understand that it's fantasy, and they need to represent their nature, but they also need to look like they can actually be used. :D

4) no unrealistically fancy designs - I'm talking about two-pronged tips on swords, serrated edges, and things like that. I realise that more advanced weapons need to look the part, but again, if it's better, why didn't they use it? I'd rather the better weapons have the same basic shape but represent their difference with fancier quillions, pommels, grips, etc, than an unrealtsically fancy blade shape.

5) I don't mind including eastern/oriental arms and armour, as long as it's not inherently better than western designs, because that's one thing that bugs me most of all in RPGs - the whole "katana is the best sword in the world!" mentality (nothing against the weapon - I'm sure it's a fine sword - but I resent it when people claim that Europeans were idiots who didn't know how to make decent swords).

• Like 1

Ludacris fools!

Hunting Bows

Warbows

Crossbows

Arbalests

Pistols

Blunderbusses

Arquebus

Rods

Wands

Sceptres

Daggers

Stilettos

Rapiers

Flails

Clubs

Hatchets

Spears

War hammers

Maces

Battle axes

Sabre

Swords

Pikes

Estocs

Morning stars

Quarterstaff

Pollaxes

Greatswords

Two questions: does halberd fall in the pollaxe or in the spear category? And, why pikes? They're not useful outside a formation, and a band of six is hardly a formation.

They're not useful outside a formation, and a band of six is hardly a formation.

Yeah, instead of a formation, it's like a sixmation. 8)

I agree with Fox, except the part about serrated edges (at least for swords, Flaberges would be nice to have).

Flamberge, sure, but serrated edges are a different thing - they're only useful for sawing things. I suppose they might stop people grabbing the blade, though (which is what a flamberge edge was designed to do), so maybe it could work...

Sabres: are they going to resemble 18th century Napoleonic sabres, or be more like late medieval Polish sabres?

Agree regarding pikes...they won't be much use without a formation, because it's too easy to get inside the reach of a single pike. Also, how are you going to get around a 90 degree bend in a 10 foot wide corridor while carrying a 16 foot long pike? :D  (actually, by that logic, spears, longbows and most pollarms would also be impractical for dungeoneering!)

Ludacris fools!

I agree with Fox, except the part about serrated edges (at least for swords, Flaberges would be nice to have).

Flamberge, sure, but serrated edges are a different thing - they're only useful for sawing things. I suppose they might stop people grabbing the blade, though (which is what a flamberge edge was designed to do), so maybe it could work...

.. or they could be used to stop/grab a blade like this one does

Sword-Breaker.jpg

http://medieval.stormthecastle.com/armorypages/sword-breaker.htm

Edited by Jarmo
  • Like 1

.. or they could be used to stop/grab a blade like this one does

Sword-Breaker.jpg

http://medieval.stormthecastle.com/armorypages/sword-breaker.htm

Thats an extremely bad design. In WWI German troops had some bayonets on their rifles that had a sawback and the troops hated it, if they stabbed someone in the chest odds were high that the bayonet got so jammed in the opponents ribs or bones that soldiers had to surrender their weapon and get replacement in the thick of battle.

And the saw profile was pretty small and angled compared to the the blade in the pic.

*edit* Oh, I just read its a swordbreaker. Whoops.- 

Gewehr 98 with a sawback bayonet. 

gew98baj98s.jpg

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet.