Spill your blasphemous opinions on CRPGs here

@ Guard Dog; There's not a single 3D RTS I like. Unless they can make 3D RTS like Red Alert or Age of Empires II, the genre is dead to me.

I can hardly fault you for that. ETW, MTW2 & HOMM3 still make up the bulk of my gaming time.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I love the smell of romance in the morning.

Yeah, there is nothing like having sex shortly after waking up.

Oh, you guys were talking about videogame romance. I'll let Bruce handle that.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Double post. 

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Yeah, there is nothing like having sex shortly after waking up.

Oh, you guys were talking about videogame romance. I'll let Bruce handle that.

Hear, hear.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

#1 blasphemous opine o' Gromnir:

non-linear crpg game-play is an illusion

we has been saying for years and every once in a while some self-proclaimed pundit echoes... is always amusing to hear our oft-stated complaint framed like some kinda sea-change epiphany. *sigh*  the game developer, by necessity, knows all possible routes and must account for them in design.  heck, the oft-lauded multiple game endings feature is the biggest bit o' pt barnum salesmanship attributable to the non-linear unicorn. c'mon people, it is the END o' the game. have three, thirteen, or thirty game endings is not counting as non-linearity as, by definition, nothing comes after the end. duh. there is no true non-linearity in sp crpg gaming. is always having fixed routes, typically with multiple bottlenecks. 

so ends this abbreviated version o' our most frequent blasphemy.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

How is that a blasphemy instead of basic common sense?

it should be common sense. it should be axiomatic. nevertheless, folks continue to laud/deride or demand greater non-linearity in games when there ain't no genuine non-linearity. it isn't just a matter o' nomenclature confusion neither. the impossibility o' non-linearity and the irrelevance o' some features that supposed enhance or detract from the non-linear ideal (whatever the hell that ideal is as it would seem to be personal and ineffable,) is complete lost on a majority o gamers who post on these boards. am getting that in crpgs we is likely to see all kinds o' mythical creatures populating worlds fantastic, but folks is clearly not asking for non-linearity the same way they is asking for developers to include unicorns and dragons. game developers is likewise perpetuating the life-cycle o' the non-linearity myths by claiming that they has indeed included the beastie in game X. many developers will scoff at use o' "immersion," but when it comes time to discuss non-linear, they tell all the good little boys and girls that yes, the easter bunny/santa claus/tooth fairy/etc., will be making an appearance in game X.  

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I can't stand the Elder Scrolls games, the older and farther back you get, the worst they get.

Planescape was simply too hard for me, probably because combat sucked (story was good though).

My favorite IE game was IWD w/ XP

Railroad me in a CRPG...I can't guess what you are thinking half the time...so simply tell me plainly.

Are those blasphemous enough?

@ Guard Dog; There's not a single 3D RTS I like. Unless they can make 3D RTS like Red Alert or Age of Empires II, the genre is dead to me.

Have you played Homeworld?

I can't stand the Elder Scrolls games, the older and farther back you get, the worst they get.

I thought it was the other way around! The further back I went, the more I liked them; the more recent ones were the most disappointing. :p

[some might call that blasphemous opinion.]

Planescape was simply too hard for me, probably because combat sucked (story was good though).

Planescape was a 'level up over lunch' kind of game... there weren't even any swords in it. :) Edited by Gizmo

May I ask what would define a 'C-RPG'? An RPG with isometric camera angles, convoluted interface or whatever?

Is a turn based RPG for people who don't like turn based RPGs.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

May I ask what would define a 'C-RPG'? An RPG with isometric camera angles, convoluted interface or whatever?

CRPG is short from computer or console role playing game, so it's definition is RPG that is made for computer or/and console. And then it's everyone's own choice to decide what games they perceive to be RPGs

I'm losing my memory in my old age, so I might have said this before, but another blasphemous opinion:

Longer =/= better. :p

• Like 4

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

CRPG is short from computer or console role playing game, so it's definition is RPG that is made for computer or/and console. And then it's everyone's own choice to decide what games they perceive to be RPGs

See - That's what I mean. The definition of what makes an RPG.. well, an RPG, is so thin that you could smear it all out on a croissant. But I'm gonna go ahead with what you said. It's an RPG that is generally designed for PC-gaming first, consoles second etc.

Is a turn based RPG for people who don't like turn based RPGs.

Uhmmm, okay! Like, an RPG where there is no turn-based combat? xD

RPG is game where game's mechanics give you ability to play certain roles in limited setting, so it's very ambiguous definition as are all top level game genres, which is why there is sub genres to specify what kind of game we actually are speaking.

Wikipedia quote

A role-playing game (RPG and sometimes roleplaying game) is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting or through a process of structured decision-making or character development. Actions taken within many games succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guidelines.

- A "good" RPG doesn't have to have overly difficult combat just so "hardcore players" can feel good. I want to enjoy a good story, not spend 8 months on a boss battle. You have dungeon crawlers for that.

- I liked ME3 and its endings (with EC). Well, at least I didn't hate them :p

- Oh, and I dig romances

- Also, high five to the guy who said he liked The Witcher romance cards. I'm playing the game at the moment, and you know..."Gotta catch 'em all" :D

Edited by Reever

RPG is game where game's mechanics give you ability to play certain roles in limited setting, so it's very ambiguous definition as are all top level game genres, which is why there is sub genres to specify what kind of game we actually are speaking.

Wikipedia quote

A role-playing game (RPG and sometimes roleplaying game) is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting or through a process of structured decision-making or character development. Actions taken within many games succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guidelines.

That I pretty much knew already - What I don't know is what exactly defines the supposed C-RPG. Is Witcher a CRPG? Is Dragon Age Origins? Could Bloodlines be defined as a C-RPG? Can you give me some examples and explanations, as to why the said examples are defined as such.  :yes:

Edited by TheChris92

A C- RPG is one that offers some diversionary entertainment but is thoroughly mediocre in most ways. Some RPGs that might warrant a C- rating include Morrowind, Icewind Dale, Ultima 8, Might and Magic 6, Neverwinter Nights 2, Divine Divinity, and Dragon Age: Origins.

:ninja:

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Wikipedia quote

That I pretty much knew already - What I don't know is what exactly defines the supposed C-RPG. Is Witcher a CRPG? Is Dragon Age Origins? Could Bloodlines be defined as a C-RPG. Can you give me some exampls and explaination as to why the said examples are definied as such.  :yes:

The Witcher and Witcher 2 are action oriented CRPGs, as they have game mechanics that give you in limited scope ability play monster hunter Geralt, which decisions and progression you can choose, but their RPG mechanics aren't very deep and focus of those games are more in combat than character development. aspects of roleplay, which is why they are categorize to belong in ARPG (Action RPG)  and hack and slash genres, than traditional RPG genres.

Dragon Age Origins has much more focus on character development player''s ability to mold his/her character in way s/he wants and so it falls in more traditional RPG genre than any other, even though it's mechanics are somewhat simplistic and game has major focus is in party based combat. 

Bloodlines has quite wide variety of RPG mechanics although game don't always use them in their fullest extent and game has major focus in combat, that uses mechanics that are usually associated with shooters than traditional RPGs, which why it's categorized as ARPG, even though it has quite robust RPG mechanics.

Baldur's Gate and Bladur's Gate 2 are categorized as more traditional CRPGs for same reasons as Dragon Age Origins, ergo their mechanics give player ability build and play character role that they see fit, which makes them quite traditional RPGs even though their major focus is in party based combat.

Fallout and Fallout 2 give you quite good example how traditional character focused RPGs look in CRPG form, as they give player quite great freedom in the way which they play the game. Arcanum is bit more modern example of same style of play.

The Elders Scrolls series and Fallout 3 and New Vegas, give player quite great freedom to play character in way which they want, but their combat mechanics are closer to shooters same way as Bloodlines' mechanics, than traditional RPG combat mechanics, which is reason why they are categorized as ARPGs, even though they have much more complex roleplay mechanics than what most ARPGs have. 

• Like 1

The last few posts (the ones not discussing CRPG's) reminded me;

I hate boss-fights. They're... usually more of a chore than actual fun.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee