Spill your blasphemous opinions on CRPGs here

I don't get the issue with QTEs. They may not be optimal gameplay, but they usually fit the game they are implemented in.

• Like 2
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I don't get the issue with QTEs. They may not be optimal gameplay, but they usually fit the game they are implemented in.

QTEs as a gameplay mechanic is alright; QTEs as the arbiter of winning or losing is a pain in the ass, specially when the game has nothing to do with them and they are just there to make killing bosses cinematic.

The best analogy I came up with to explain why QTEs are bad is this:

Imagine a fast track runner; is objective is getting from point A to B as fast as possible. With some effort they are on first place and just when they are about to get to the finish line some idiot throws a bunch of garbage on the track. Suddenly they have dodge all that crap and stay on their feet or they will lose the race.

That's QTEs, crap they throw in between the player and their objectives.

On the note of bad mechanics; rolls are the worst mechanic conceived for a game ever.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Mashing a button as fast as you can until you develop a blister fits no game I've ever played, nor does it qualify as gameplay under any definition my brain can come up with.  The timing type QTEs can be fine, or even of value, when used sparingly, and either in optional mini-games, or as a way of determining whether you get  bonus or not, not as a live or die mechanic.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

You mean dice rolls, or Batman/The Witcher2 "roll around the battle field constantly is needed" rolls?

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

They're self-defeating. The whole point is that you get to watch your character do Cool Stuff, but end up not being able to jizz all over yourself about the coolness of your character, because you're too busy with the button-mashing to notice what's going on outside the button prompts themselves.

• Like 6

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

The worst is when I expect a calm cutscene to watch, and take a grab a drink or something to eat during it, then suddenly have to press some button.

Usually resulting in me dying since I have my hands full...

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

The game I've played that handled QTEs the best I've ever seen is The Last Remnant.  You never know when they're going to happen, the timing on them can be wildly different, from hit the button within a split second, to wait a couple seconds to hit the button, they never do the crappy mash the button as fast as you can variety, and the mechanic serves only as a means to get a counter on some blocks, or to get an extra critical effect on some attacks.  If you fail the QTE, you just don't get the bonus effect, the game moves on. 

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

You mean dice rolls, or Batman/The Witcher2 "roll around the battle field constantly is needed" rolls?

Dice rolls, the others are dodge rolls.

Edit: The Last Remnant sucks, what kind of cruel game punishes you for grinding? That's like punishing you for playing the game.

Edited by Orogun01
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Edit: The Last Remnant sucks, what kind of cruel game punishes you for grinding? That's like punishing you for playing the game.

Excessive grinding should be punished.  Those that engage in it deserve any pain that it brings.  :p

It's not so much that The Last Remnant punishes grinding as much as the leveling and scaling system is quite cryptic and poorly explained in the game.  Grinding can actually be somewhat beneficial, but only if you understand the system well (good luck with that, there are some 5000+ word wikis I can point you to) and grind with specific goals in mind.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 3

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

There's a lack of good Tolkien-esque fantasy cRPGs, and an even greater lack of good medieval non-fantasy cRPGs.

I'd be just as happy if another Tolkien-esque game of any variety never gets made ever again.

:devil:

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

There's a lack of good Tolkien-esque fantasy cRPGs, and an even greater lack of good medieval non-fantasy cRPGs.

I'd be just as happy if another Tolkien-esque game of any variety never gets made ever again.

The thing is though, Tolkien-eqsue doesn't just mean elves and orcs. World of Warcraft has elves and orcs and it's not even remotely like Tolkien's work. There are suprisingly few good cRPGs in the same style and level of quality as Tolkien.

Edited by Piccolo

The thing is though, Tolkien-eqsue doesn't just mean elves and orcs. World of Warcraft has elves and orcs and it's not even remotely like Tolkien's work. There are suprisingly few good cRPGs in the same style and level of quality as Tolkien.

I understand, and I stand by my statement.  High fantasy, in general, is far and away the most played out setting in RPGs, and video games in general.  There are so many other great settings that have barely, if at all, been explored.  Let's make some games in those settings and give high fantasy a rest for a good long while.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I understand, and I stand by my statement.  High fantasy, in general, is far and away the most played out setting in RPGs, and video games in general.  There are so many other great settings that have barely, if at all, been explored.  Let's make some games in those settings and give high fantasy a rest for a good long while.

Yeah, nowadays is so common that there are cliches about the high fantasy races and what not.

village_idiot.gif

Utterly unsurprising I would say.  One of the reasons people keep trying to imitate LOTR is because no one has succeeded yet.  If ONE game were ever made that came up to the quality of LOTR, I would never feel the need to play another high fantasy game ever again.

I wouldn't exactly call Tolkien's work "high fantasy", though.

• Like 1

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

- Final Fantasy X-2 and XIII are actually awesome games :p

- Final Fantasy VI is one of the most boring jRPGs I have ever played :devil:

- Elves are awesome :fdevil:

- High magic fantasy setting is the best setting for RPG :biggrin:

- Western RPG makers should learn from their Japanese counterparts, how to properly model armors, weapons and haircuts :w00t:

- EDIT: AD&D 2nd Edition is the best ruleset used in CRPGs :aiee:

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

- Magic sucks. It's like the scientology of games. Plothole? Use the magic excuse! Bad game design? Solve it with magic!! Gameplay not up to scratch in your **** game? USE MORE ****ING MAGIC

• Like 5

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

There is no singular definition of what it means to be an RPG nor what it means to truly roleplay.

This is the blasphemous opinions on CRPGs thread. The iconoclastic opinions on CRPGs thread is through the other door.  :shifty:

• Like 3

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

The eternity engine was terrible at everything other than plot, which is why it is sad most of the games made on it didn't have any.

Real time combat is terrible.

Icewind dale was terrible.

Baldur's Gate was highlander in a wizard hat.

BG2 mage duels were terrible.

• Like 1

There is no singular definition of what it means to be an RPG nor what it means to truly roleplay.

QFT. I often say to people "no one can define my RPG experience for me" and what one person enjoys or likes to be included in a particular game doesn't mean another person will want. But there is no right and wrong, its a personal choice

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

- Magic sucks. It's like the scientology of games. Plothole? Use the magic excuse! Bad game design? Solve it with magic!! Gameplay not up to scratch in your **** game? USE MORE ****ING MAGIC

Magic is awesome, writers suck.

• Like 6

village_idiot.gif