Kudos for the Linux version

Hello All,

I just wanted to take a moment and send kudos to Obsidian for developing a Linux port of this game. Although I am alittle late to this party, I thoroughly enjoyed Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 and I am only now playing the Icewind Dale series in a Win98 VM. 

Commendations as well on seeking out a distribution mechanism in addition to Steam for the Linux crowd. While I appreciate Valve's effort (and also rather like Steam on OSX and Windows) the Linux port is halfhearted at best as well as limited to 32-bit/i386. I will be pledging the 50 shekels (US) for the boxed copy this week but I would do that anyway as I'm a bit of a geezer and prefer the hardcopy ;-)

Thanks again, and I look forward to playing PoE!

John

PS: i7 / NVIDIA / Debian stable ;-)

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

I tried to go Linux only gaming on PC back in the early 2000s when Loki/Occulus was doing ports, id was making Linux friendly ports, and Neverwinter Nights and a ton of other stuff would run on Wine/WineX ... and then tons of modding tools needed .Net and the Loki went out of business and I had to swallow the fact that I needed a second partition for windows if I wanted to continue to be a PC gamer. 

Maybe with Valve's support and engines like Unity it'll stick this time? I'd love nothing more than to be able to go full time Manjaro and still have a reasonable expectation of being able to play most of the games that I want.

• Like 1

I suspect with valve and unity things will start moving along nicely.

Indirectly the market share of apple computers is rising.  Apple also uses openGL and is apart of the openGL ARB.  There is rising demand for gaming on the apple platform.  Indirectly this helps Linux as well.  I think most people want to get away from windows, but that nasty phrase "ease of use" keeps coming up.  I know Linux people hate making it easy, or view it as already being easy enough, but it's not.

Linux has some pretty easy-to-use distros (Mint, Ubuntu, etc.), but because it will never have a monolithic, "closed garden" approach (like Apple) it's always going to be a bit of a kludge of disparate elements thrown together with a ton of variance. I suspect Valve's SteamOS will get about as dead simple as Linux can get for gaming rigs as its beta matures, as for the rest, it's not that Linux people don't want to make it easy, it's that it inherently attracts a lot of tinkerers that want the guts of their operating system as configurable and exposed as possible and no two systems (even with the same distro) are ever going to be quite the same.

I suspect with valve and unity things will start moving along nicely.

Indirectly the market share of apple computers is rising.  Apple also uses openGL and is apart of the openGL ARB.  There is rising demand for gaming on the apple platform.  Indirectly this helps Linux as well.  I think most people want to get away from windows, but that nasty phrase "ease of use" keeps coming up.  I know Linux people hate making it easy, or view it as already being easy enough, but it's not.

The general purpose stuff is pretty easy.  I installed Linux Mint on my mother's laptop, and she has no problem using it as a casual user.  I'm glad that PoE is coming to my OS of choice, and I do hope this means all future games made by Obsidian will have Linux support.  Sadly it looks like they Tank MMO doesn't have Linux support at all even though Cryengine will support Linux in the future.

Edited by bonarbill

• 2 weeks later...