"Internet Trolls Really are Horrible People"

rjshae

This isn't a troll attempt, but is a link to an interesting psychology article:

"Internet Trolls Really are Horrible People"

The following personality traits have apparently been confirmed by a psychological study: machiavellianism, narcissim, psychopathy, and sadism. Ouch!

• Like 9

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

...dunno 'bout you bowelhives, but I's a damn sweetheart...ask me rugrats... :p

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

• Like 1

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

Somehow I find the whole thing a bit hard to believe.
Sure there is something a bit sadistic about a person who spends his/her time coming up with ways to aggravate others but the study seems lacking somehow. Trolling is a childish act at it's core, just like a child motivation behind misbehavior so may be the intent behind trolling. Yet however despicable a child might be (and I would use the same language as in the article to describe a child) I don't consider him/her inherently evil since they have a lacking understanding of right and wrong which should come with age.
So I guess trolls are just either emotionally immature which just puts them with the rest of this generation. 

• Like 3
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Sure there is something a bit sadistic about a person who spends his/her time coming up with ways to aggravate others but the study seems lacking somehow. Trolling is a childish act at it's core, just like a child motivation behind misbehavior so may be the intent behind trolling. Yet however despicable a child might be (and I would use the same language as in the article to describe a child) I don't consider him/her inherently evil since they have a lacking understanding of right and wrong which should come with age.

So I guess trolls are just either emotionally immature which just puts them with the rest of this generation. 

A lot of trolls are just emotionally immature.

But the Greater Dickwad Theory is largely false. Good people generally don't say the things that get spouted on the internet.

• Like 1

machiavellianism, narcissim, psychopathy, and sadism. Ouch!

You just described all of the qualities necessary for success in the wonderful world of capitalism.

Incidentially, Machiavelli wasn't actually serious about The Prince, it was satire. It was simply recognition of aspects of human behavior/personality that have their roots in the ancient fundaments of social behavior.

Frankly, everyone who interacts with others on the internet has, at some point, been guilty of "trolling" on the internet, the internet by its very nature lends itself to such behavior. None of us are innocent.

I am not Christ, nor are any of you. I'm an atheist, but still, the simile is valid.

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 2

The distinction is whether or not we identify with whether or not we consider trolling one of the reasons we also go online. I'd also need to see the definition of what it means to be "trolling" on the internet.

I definitely get angry on the internet, and have snarked and even snapped on some people. Is that trolling? When looking at the examples listed in the article, I don't do actions like that. I don't recall if I ever did (which means if I did, I simply do not remember it anymore).

Specifically:

have sent people to shock websites for the lulz.

I like to troll people in forums or the comments section of websites.

I enjoy griefing other players in multiplayer games.

The more beautiful and pure a thing is, the more satisfying it is to corrupt

I don't really have any difficulties saying that I do not go online with the purpose of trolling. What do you mean by trolling, though, since I wouldn't be surprised if we have different definitions. Does a sarcastic, snarky remark qualify? Or does it have to be actively posting in a particular way with the sole specific purpose of antagonizing others? Somewhere in between?

• Like 1

The distinction is whether or not we identify with whether or not we consider trolling one of the reasons we also go online. I'd also need to see the definition of what it means to be "trolling" on the internet.

I definitely get angry on the internet, and have snarked and even snapped on some people. Is that trolling? When looking at the examples listed in the article, I don't do actions like that. I don't recall if I ever did (which means if I did, I simply do not remember it anymore).

Specifically:

have sent people to shock websites for the lulz.

I like to troll people in forums or the comments section of websites.

I enjoy griefing other players in multiplayer games.

The more beautiful and pure a thing is, the more satisfying it is to corrupt

I don't really have any difficulties saying that I do not go online with the purpose of trolling. What do you mean by trolling, though, since I wouldn't be surprised if we have different definitions. Does a sarcastic, snarky remark qualify? Or does it have to be actively posting in a particular way with the sole specific purpose of antagonizing others? Somewhere in between?

I think the article is very relevant, and I find that psychological definition of a Trolls personality as accurate. My definition of a Troll is where someone makes comments not to engage in debate at all but where  they just want to upset people and have no real interest in sustained debate. I also don't Troll

This is different to where someone makes unpopular or untrue comments, like Oby, but does believe what they say.

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I don't see Trolling as childish based on the articles definition. Troll is an unacceptable behaviour that needs to be condemned and attempted to be stopped. I see Trolling as form of anti-social behaviour so I can't see how we can just shrug our shoulders and say " oh well they are just emotionally immature"

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Well duh.

But they have their place in society, just as in real life. Because once in a blue moon, they can post something really insightful that require people to truly analyze their own position.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I don't see Trolling as childish based on the articles definition. Troll is an unacceptable behaviour that needs to be condemned and attempted to be stopped. I see Trolling as form of anti-social behaviour so I can't see how we can just shrug our shoulders and say " oh well they are just emotionally immature"

On the old BIS forums, 6'8 Italian Warlord posted a troll about seeing a Tarrasque in the Oasis in BG2. I never saw that as anti-social behaviour and damaging to society, more like seeing how many people would be naïve enough to believe it. Obviously he was having fun.

• Like 1

There is nothing wrong with having fun, unless you are having fun at the expenses of others. IMO trolls are usually guys who acting out on the internet, because they can't get "fun" anywhere usually reminding me of this old commercial:

Personally I think people are really getting a little over sensitive, everybody's a Troll unless they agree with your opinion or react with po faced seriousness at all times. Is there no place for a little obvious humour, or must we all tiptoe around each others feelings and fear upsetting anyone? God help the satirist's and comedians if this ever becomes the case! You can't even apply logical and fact based criticism without facing a wave of Trolling accusations now, spirited discourse with a little humour interspersed is a good thing and if the participants cannot see that humour then they have the problem, not the so called Trolls.

Addendum: Why am I seeing so many accusations of immaturity lately, I mean personally I see that as a good thing, to retain ones youth and sense of fun. Then again i'd love to drop forty years or so and be a ten year old again. Don't be in such a hurry to grow old, it's not a bowl of cherries.

• Like 3

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Personally I think people are really getting a little over sensitive, everybody's a Troll unless they agree with your opinion or react with po faced seriousness at all times. Is there no place for a little obvious humour, or must we all tiptoe around each others feelings and fear upsetting anyone? God help the satirist's and comedians if this ever becomes the case! You can't even apply logical and fact based criticism without facing a wave of Trolling accusations now, spirited discourse with a little humour interspersed is a good thing and if the participants cannot see that humour then they have the problem, not the so called Trolls.

Addendum: Why am I seeing so many accusations of immaturity lately, I mean personally I see that as a good thing, to retain ones youth and sense of fun. Then again i'd love to drop forty years or so and be a ten year old again. Don't be in such a hurry to grow old, it's not a bowl of cherries.

I joke all the time, but I don't see that as Trolling. I don't think satire or humour is Trolling as those things are generally not done with the only purpose to upset someone? In fact they are normally done for the opposite reason

John Milton 

"The distinction is whether or not we identify with whether or not we consider trolling one of the reasons we also go online. I'd also need to see the definition of what it means to be "trolling" on the internet."

Exactly. I come on the net to discuss topics I like  video games, sports, etc. I've been called accused of being a ';trol' simply I often have so called 'unpopular' opinions.

Heck, stating I like a BIO game on this board I'm accused of 'trolling'. Saying I feel KOTOR is overrated on the BIO boards makes me a troll apparently. It doesn't make sense.

The article is ridiculous and comes to a conclusion based on what they already believe and not fact.

• Like 2

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Rowan Atkinson: We must be allowed to insult each other (of Mr Bean, BlackAdder fame)

• Like 2

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

Problem is that there are a lot of people misusing the term troll to include people who have an actual disagreement but can't word it eloquently or politely.

People have retreated to their own self contained internet communities where people all seem to share a common ideology and might perceive discern as trolling.

• Like 2
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

A funny troll is one who for example goes to home appliances and electronics-board and suggests that the 4:3-ratio is inheritly better than 16:9, all with made up graphs and whatnot. Or someone going to muslim Jihad board telling that Muhammad really was all about turning the other sheek, again with made up 'evidence'.

The best trolls are the ones that indirectly help people to actually think for themselves since they are so accustomed to their ideas that they treat it as dogma.

• Like 3

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

But... but...  ;(

I guess I'm the one who has to bring it to you gently... you are a failure as a troll, we still like you ;)

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

The article is ridiculous and comes to a conclusion based on what they already believe and not fact.

A funny troll is one who for example goes to home appliances and electronics-board and suggests that the 4:3-ratio is inheritly better than 16:9, all with made up graphs and whatnot. Or someone going to muslim Jihad board telling that Muhammad really was all about turning the other sheek, again with made up 'evidence'.

The best trolls are the ones that indirectly help people to actually think for themselves since they are so accustomed to their ideas that they treat it as dogma.

Totally agree on both accounts.

It wouldn't surprised me if the research is a knee-jerk reaction to the media stories over the last few years of internet trolling. The research (and I use that term loosely) seems to paint all trolls with a sweeping generalisation of psychopathic narcissistic sadists. And as Meshugger points out, you can have trolls that do it for the fun and giggles without actually hurting anyone or do it to get people thinking out of their own closed world views.

Totally agree on both accounts.

It wouldn't surprised me if the research is a knee-jerk reaction to the media stories over the last few years of internet trolling. The research (and I use that term loosely) seems to paint all trolls with a sweeping generalisation of psychopathic narcissistic sadists. And as Meshugger points out, you can have trolls that do it for the fun and giggles without actually hurting anyone or do it to get people thinking out of their own closed world views.

This reads like a straw-man argument that applies the same set of sweeping generalizations and inherent bias in which the scholars are accused of engaging. The linked article is an editorial about the peer-reviewed paper, so you can expect some amount of personal opinion to be expressed there. Hopefully, the paper will spark some follow-on studies.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

This reads like a straw-man argument that applies the same set of sweeping generalizations and inherent bias in which the scholars are accused of engaging. The linked article is an editorial about the peer-reviewed paper, so you can expect some amount of personal opinion to be expressed there. Hopefully, the paper will spark some follow-on studies.

Much like your thread title and OP post? A straw-man making sweeping generalisations that all internet trolls are horrible people? Or do you have an alternative view that not all internet trolls are horrible people.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist