Firefox 27

LadyCrimson

I've been noticing poor FF performance on forum pages with a lot of video embeds, or a lot of javascript etc, again, so I slowly upgraded to newer FF versions. I stopped at 25 - the slowdowns seem better but not perfect.

I'm curious - I know the FF "Social API" has been around a while, but I just want to make sure it's still optional in the sense I don't ever have to see/hear this Social API working. Ideally I don't even want the extra buttons.

I ask because I noticed that FF removed stuff like the easy Options access for disable images/javascript - which I can live without since I use Noscript/Adblock etc. But it makes me wonder if they're going in that type of direction with a lot of other things. Taking away menu options in the name of idiot-proofing, so I'll have to do tons more via the config. options...

One day I'm going to disappear from the net, because I'll get fed up with browser software and just quit. :p

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Oh nvm...I don't know why I wrote that rather ambiguous post. It's late, as usual, and I've had too much caffeine.

How about just this general inquiry, then ... anyone using FF 27 and what do you think of it?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

No...but maybe I should try it. I'm still stuck on (Old) Opera 12.16 myself...won't update because they switched to Chromium as a backend in later versions, and I really don't like it, :p

Tried out a new version again recently...still do not have a normal bookmarks menu. Until they at least give me a way to have more than a couple of bookmarks, I won't be updating. Oh, how I miss Opera. :(

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I'm using FF 27.0.1 and am having no problems with it. The only thing that pissed me off is that they removed the option to hide tab (to hide the tab when only one is open), but I installed an add-on that fixes that.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

kirottu: FF development by Mozilla is funded by google. Not exclusively, but mainly.

Bartimaeus: Same here. However, I have Opera Dev now installed in parallel to the 12.16 for websites that won't work with the old browser. Other than the bookmarks, cache behaviour / location options are what I miss most. For many others, the lack of an integrated Email Client is the main complaint. Despite that, it works pretty well for me, mouse gestures and addons (need Ghostery...) are ok too.

Edited by samm
  • Like 1

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

kirottu: FF development by Mozilla is funded by google. Not exclusively, but mainly.

Because FF has google as it's default search engine. They are not willing to drop that because FF still has such a large part of the market.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Bartimaeus: Same here. However, I have Opera Dev now installed in parallel to the 12.16 for websites that won't work with the old browser. Other than the bookmarks, cache behaviour / location options are what I miss most. For many others, the lack of an integrated Email Client is the main complaint. Despite that, it works pretty well for me, mouse gestures and addons (need Ghostery...) are ok too.

Yeah, I have Chrome installed for that. Maybe I should ditch it and just run two different versions of Opera like you. :p

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Aurora (FF 29) works pretty well for me though this UI change is a bit pants.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Aurora (FF 29) works pretty well for me though this UI change is a bit pants.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/

Apparently you're not the only one who thinks so. I was pissed they removed my ability to have my tabs on the bottom, switched to firefox 27, then found out the next update to Firefox is going to remove my tabs on the bottom option from that too. Luckily there is add-ons that will let me keep my tabs on the bottom.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Always nice to know addons can/will continue to restore back in little UI stuff like that, which I also found annoying (theoretically, since I don't have it yet), based on looking at screenshots. I already use a few addons that put back other little things from the past. :)

If you use Aurora, the latest version seems to be breaking several sites like imgur and this forum for one. :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

For those who have been using Firefox for a looong time and don't like the new appearance, new FF doesn't have to look like ****.

post-627-0-41317900-1393267730_thumb.jpg

I'm using FF3 theme for FF4+ and "skip addon compatibility check 3" extension (without any sites rendering incorrectly, fwiw).

For those who have been using Firefox for a looong time and don't like the new appearance, new FF doesn't have to look like ****.

attachicon.gifFF27.jpg

I'm using FF3 theme for FF4+ and "skip addon compatibility check 3" extension (without any sites rendering incorrectly, fwiw).

Holy clutter, Batman...:p

Sigh.  I switched to Chrome.  I don't like it, but I suppose I'll learn.  All it has to do is load my pages correctly, after all.  And it mostly does that I guess.

FF has screwed up my sites so badly I can't read half of them or open links; and I don't have the patience or time to spend on reverse engineering a POS interface that somebody apparently thought was a good idea, but nobody can remember asking for or wanting.  Way to go, Mozilla.  :banghead: