Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

RPG elements that I would die for

RPG Quests

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Djantari

Djantari

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Steam:RamboNisse
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

What I am looking for is to give some more focus to what you are wearing and when. Of course you should not be forced to have a wardrobe for each situation if that is not your play style. But if you are in to that you should get something for it.

One way would be to have a kind of set bonus in the same way as for amour also for normal cloth. For example if you have the newest and most expensive fashion in the city it should give a bonus to diplomacy and can generate some more conversation options with some characters. The same would go if you look like a trader when you haggle or a blacksmith at the smith.

A cloak that shows that you are a captain of the city guard would give a bonus to intimidation in some situation and with some characters.

If you are dressed in rags and walks in to a noble house they should comment your clothing. They might not even want to address you, without using a skill as diplomacy or intimidation to get their attention.

I would also love to see a reputation system that is connected to an alias. What I mean is that you can choose to call yourself something else than your character’s real name. This means that you can create one alias that might be a famous villain and another alias that is a loved hero. Your skills in subterfuge and disguises for example would see if you get away with it. Otherwise you get found out and you get famous as being a fraud, and both aliases are ruined or merged.

• Madzookeeper, DCParry, TrashMan and 4 others like this

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
^ Yesss.

As a simple example, D&D had, in the equipment/goods list, various types/qualities of clothing (not even armor... just clothing). So, you could spend 50gp, and be dressed like a merchant, and people would actually more readily accept you as a merchant, etc. 200gp or so, and you could pass, visually, as a noble or someone of social import.

So, really, beyond just clothing even, it would be nice to be able to invest in goods/resources that serve purely non-combat functions.

In that whole "combat versus non-combat approaches to things" debate in some other threads, one of the main points was "combat costs you resources and whatnot, and stealth/diplomacy costs you nothing." But... what if it DID cost you stuff? In this case, the examples are mainly illustrating "diplomacy," to use the general skill name for non-combat manipulation/result-effectation.

These people will only let you in if you FORCE your way in, or if you pass as a caravan? Better go gather information on local caravans, and fork over money to at least rent a wagon o' goods and some proper attire, etc.
  • Madzookeeper, TrashMan and Silent Winter like this

Alfiriel

Alfiriel

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 18 posts
give my party the need to eat sleep and drink and let cold and warm klima influence them.

Make us need a place to stay (maybe even build) and let some crafting take time. When resting in the wild for a quest let us have campfire discussions about recent events or the current quezt ... or general topics. If resting in the inn let the groupmates hang out drink and talk together.

This sequences should be eadily ended by going to bed for people that are not interested.

give me interaction between npcs in the group not only with the player chars from discussing politics till a bloody fight because of religion or a romance I am willing to take everything as long as they are not only talking to me.
  • ^Rayne^ likes this

Sarex

Sarex

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1899 posts

So you want Sims + PoE.

• rjshae likes this

Hassat Hunter

Hassat Hunter

Royal Bug Catcher of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5992 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I like my RPG to be an RPG.

Not a date similator, not a bad RTS, not a magement sim, not a civilisation sim, not an MMO, not a shooter, not a movie.

I know it's much to ask for in this time and age, but please?

• Bos_hybrid, aluminiumtrioxid, TrashMan and 1 other like this

Djantari

Djantari

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts

Great that the RPG genera is so define that we all understand exactly what you mean. Do I also understand that you want a good game not a bad game?

The rpg:s obsidian have made historically have been an effort take the classic table top rpg to the computer. When I play table top games I want to role play not a to grinding effortless for loot. All the elements we discuss here already exist in classic rpg:s. So I do not not know what you are trying to say.

Looks like you are just trolling to be honest.

I have not played Sims so I do not know what you mean.

But if you want hack and slash I think you will be disappointed in PoE.

• ^Rayne^ likes this

Hassat Hunter

Hassat Hunter

Royal Bug Catcher of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5992 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I know the meaning of RPG is discussionable, but some here suggested entire building sims or RTS here... while they might like that (heck I might even if executed right), I personally don't think it's a good idea to go that far into details. Adding minigames for an AAA+ game, okaaayish (depends on the game), but with such a budget and trying to get a BG-type RPG out amist the modern games, I rather they focus on the main package rather than said diversatories...

Djantari

Djantari

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts

I do not have any illusions that they will implement a thing in this thread. I just want to discuss which rpg element that people would like to see in a crpg.

And of course I do not anyone want PoE to be a sim game.

I have no doubt that they will succeed with the adventure part of the rpg, as they never do. But playing their games for most of my adult life I do miss some things that would not take so much extra coding but add a lot to the experience. Hopefully there will be modding tools available and then we all can customize it to get what we want.

Djantari

Djantari

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts

Sorry so much mistake in my last post that it is almost unreadable. I hope you get my point.

Silent Winter

Silent Winter

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1594 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I hope you get my point.

...said the assassin to his prey

sorry, OT from the quoted post but:

I'd like to be able to use assassin techniques in an assassiny way - I mean, being able to sneak in, past the guards, quietly dispose of a victim by knife/poison/whatever and then sneak out.  Having my handiwork only discovered later.

There was an "Assassins" mod for BG2 and whilst it was a fun diversion with a little story, every 'assassination' turned into a regular fight against a group.

• JFSOCC likes this

DCParry

DCParry

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 395 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

What I am looking for is to give some more focus to what you are wearing and when. Of course you should not be forced to have a wardrobe for each situation if that is not your play style. But if you are in to that you should get something for it.

One way would be to have a kind of set bonus in the same way as for amour also for normal cloth. For example if you have the newest and most expensive fashion in the city it should give a bonus to diplomacy and can generate some more conversation options with some characters. The same would go if you look like a trader when you haggle or a blacksmith at the smith.

A cloak that shows that you are a captain of the city guard would give a bonus to intimidation in some situation and with some characters.

If you are dressed in rags and walks in to a noble house they should comment your clothing. They might not even want to address you, without using a skill as diplomacy or intimidation to get their attention.

I would also love to see a reputation system that is connected to an alias. What I mean is that you can choose to call yourself something else than your character’s real name. This means that you can create one alias that might be a famous villain and another alias that is a loved hero. Your skills in subterfuge and disguises for example would see if you get away with it. Otherwise you get found out and you get famous as being a fraud, and both aliases are ruined or merged.

I like this idea, but I wonder how to deal with this in a party situation. Would everyone have to have an outfit? Of course, this leads to a particular type of micro-managing or issues arise (just like when I would forget in FONV to change FelciaWhatsoherdayface out of BoS armor and NRC would shoot me, although I thought they weren't supposed to do that, and that was with one character - knowing my luck I would outfit my party in uniforms from every faction so no matter where I go someone hates me!). 

I would love re-activity for disguises, but I imagine that would be a crap tonne of dev time. 

TrashMan

TrashMan

Holy Avenger of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1523 posts

That would depend if you can bluff the guards/whatever.

If you are posing as a merchant, you can:

- go in alone

- get merchant disguises for everyone

- try to pass them off as bodyguards

So again, LOGIC.

Sometimes everyone going into an area would need a disguise, someone only 1 person would suffice (as long as your other party members aren't incredibly conspicious or recognizable)

Also, items getting fame/being recognizable - at least by some people. If you wield the "sword of divine judgment" somebody would notice.

A more trickier thing is association. That means if you do a crime, how do they recongnize you? Personally I'd have items have stats such as memorability (how much they stand out ... hmmm better yet a memorable yes/no flag) and a "conceals face" yes/no flag.

That way, if you rob a guy while wearing a common armor with a full helmet, the authorities are unlikely to find you. Heck, the victim is unlikely to ever recognize you.

Buuut.. if you go around with your face exposed and in bright pink armor.... the authorities will not have a hard time finding you.

Could be something as simple as the NPC tracking if he knows your face or not AND a a chance to add a big memorable item to his list of items he associates with you.

So it's kinda "are you wearing any items from his list? Does he know your face?"

• Lephys likes this

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5041 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

They could create an "Attire" reputation, with the two extremes being armored or casual. Depending on which one you are wearing, you change your faction rating. This would then get a different reaction from certain individuals. Potentially there could be shades of grey--light armor would lie closer to the casual faction than would field plate, for example.

Or there could be a more general "Violent nature" reputation, with your current armor and armaments shifting your faction somewhat.

Lephys

Lephys

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

So it's kinda "are you wearing any items from his list? Does he know your face?"

Regarding the face-recognition, it might also be affected by what approach you took to a situation. Maybe you broke in stealthily (trying to go completely unnoticed) and got spotted briefly by people who know you're out of place. The dilemma of "did they get a good look at your face?" problem ensues. OR, maybe you dress and act appropriately enough to blend right in as a lowly servant, and, while you're blatantly walking around everyone, no one bothers to take note of your face. 8P

JFSOCC

JFSOCC

Mentor & Student of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2255 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I like and support the idea of aliases

Edited by JFSOCC, 21 February 2014 - 01:47 AM.

TrashMan

TrashMan

Holy Avenger of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1523 posts

Regarding the face-recognition, it might also be affected by what approach you took to a situation. Maybe you broke in stealthily (trying to go completely unnoticed) and got spotted briefly by people who know you're out of place. The dilemma of "did they get a good look at your face?" problem ensues. OR, maybe you dress and act appropriately enough to blend right in as a lowly servant, and, while you're blatantly walking around everyone, no one bothers to take note of your face. 8P

I guess you can handle it with perception vs. stealth rolls, probabilities and maybe you can bring in some other stats into play, like charisma.

In 90% of cases, unless you're wearing something conspcious, NPC's you don't interact with would not remember your face.

Having an "everyman" face (lowers chances of being recongnized) could even be a trait.

I think we're on to something here.

With just 2 flags and a list check, we have a system that could handle item/face recognition decently enough.

• JFSOCC, Lephys and Silent Winter like this

Lephys

Lephys

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
^ Well, that, and I was also more just thinking about the effects of approaches to a situation (the example basically being an infiltration). Maybe you're able to sneak in (as an intruder who's simply, if you did it right, not spotted), or pose as a noble, OR pose as a servant, for example. Posing as a noble would probably allow you the most access to sensitive information, etc., and free reign of the premises (in general... I'm not saying no one would question anything at all you did). BUT, people are sure to not only see your face, but take note of it. So, anything after that in the game that required being in the presence of those people (as your no-longer-posing-as-a-noble self) would result in trouble. You'd have to avoid certain people, or deal with the trouble of being recognized.

And, while sneaking in might leave you unexposed (you can cover your face, or just not get spotted 'cause you're so stealthy, etc.), you maybe have less time to get what you need and less access to the premises/information from important people's mouths (the more of the grounds you cover while sneaking about, the less likely you are to remain unseen, etc.). BUT, you could easily be around any of the people present at that place, in the future, and no one would be the wiser.

Posing as a lowly servant would grant you access to the servants, and part of the premises, and maybe you could even overhear some stuff from nobles/important folk, etc. Maybe you could even try to sneak into some other rooms at opportune moments, but you'd be at higher risk of being discovered. And MAYBE some people would recognize you later, but it'd be a lot fewer (mainly people who directly manage the servants, etc. Maybe a guard or two near the servants' entrance or something.)

I realize there'd be a lot of other factors at play, but the point I was focused on is how facial recognition plays into your choices and their consequences in approaching a given scenario. That could be pretty awesome. Especially with a system that actually handles item/face recognition, as you've pointed out above.
  • aluminiumtrioxid and TrashMan like this

JFSOCC

JFSOCC

Mentor & Student of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2255 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
associating identities with uniforms could work if quests were designed that way, I suppose. but they'd be one offs, not a (semi-)permanent alias of which you could have an alternate character, infiltrating other organisations.

So for purposes of fooling guards on patrol duty, you could have an officers uniform, if you wear it, they might think you are an officer from another unit and ignore you as you go about your business. with potential for interaction and stat-based bluff checks.
Or if you wear the cooks uniform, you can move safely in the kitchen, but not elsewhere in the fort.
A prostitute outfit, well, let's not tackle that one.
Would be an alternative approach to stealth.

Djantari

Djantari

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts

I do want to make a difference between stealth and subterfuge. Stealth is focusing on not to be seen at all. Subterfuge and infiltration would need you to make you victims to not pay attention to you or to accept you as a part of the environment. I see it as two completely different approaches.

For example I would like to play a noble and therefor dresses like one. I then want other nobles to treat me as a one in conversations. If I am not a noble but tries to pose as one I would need a skill test not to be made.

• JFSOCC and Lephys like this

Ulquiorra

Ulquiorra

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 488 posts

I like my RPG to be an RPG.

Not a date similator, not a bad RTS, not a magement sim, not a civilisation sim, not an MMO, not a shooter, not a movie.

I know it's much to ask for in this time and age, but please?

"Role" playing game .. hmmm

Date sim = some type of role,

RTs = role of a "commander", "chief" that must have good stratedy,

menagment sim = Menagment role,

Civilisation sim = simulator of the "god" or "chef of that civ" role,

mmo = .... i agre no role play .. :p,

shooter =Mostly action with a possibility od a role (if have writhing and storyline) has pissibility to roleplay character that is shooting,

movie = also some role.

now what means "play a role", have some influence and react on you own will (like it was you in such situation) ... is there a good rpg without any time of previos elements ? ...no even baldours gate have some sort of money menagment,

So you must propably want to role play a doll, or a cat to not having some "menagment" in game ... (but even cat must now how many food he must to eat, to not die with a hunger or die from overfattness ..) ... so i sugest a rock a levels up to be more rockish ..

Seriusly ... rpg is not only a "term" for a game that some char is gaining levels ..

and im not even taliking about "dateing sim" elements becouse there are at least 6-7 games in western "block" that have those .. (and still people are crying)

Edited by Ulquiorra, 22 February 2014 - 01:41 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: RPG, Quests

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users