RPG elements that I would die for

Retraining.

If I mess up the build of my character I'd like to be able to fix it. I don't have 60 hours to redo half of the game because I messed it up along the way. And if I restart I'd rather start as a new class instead.

This is okay as long as there is a plausible mechanic *COUGH*magic*COUGH* to explain the transition. Perhaps psychic surgery involving you and some fresh humanoid brains...

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I suffer from a massive weapon identity complex - I like the idea of katana, but games seldom include wakizashi and tanto, so while I also use axes, I hate the idea of dual wielding both.  And a katana with any other off hand weapon doesn't make sense.  Scimitar's are Drizzt's weapons, and most two handed weapons are big and clumsy.  Sword and shield just makes my shield arm hurt thinking about it, and armoured gauntlets are clearly asking for broken fingers.

So, I'd kill for a chance to adjust my weapons into stuff that suits my, umm...style.  Like maybe if daggers could be hidden so enemies don't realize your the guy backstabbing their mates and go hostile (with suitable checks).  Or two handed weapons have a specific purpose - like spears can impale or trip, two handed axes can disarm shields, crossbows ignore certain armour.  Stuff like that.  

Might cure me.

• Like 2

I suffer from a massive weapon identity complex - I like the idea of katana, but games seldom include wakizashi and tanto, so while I also use axes, I hate the idea of dual wielding both.  And a katana with any other off hand weapon doesn't make sense.  Scimitar's are Drizzt's weapons, and most two handed weapons are big and clumsy.  Sword and shield just makes my shield arm hurt thinking about it, and armoured gauntlets are clearly asking for broken fingers.

So, I'd kill for a chance to adjust my weapons into stuff that suits my, umm...style.  Like maybe if daggers could be hidden so enemies don't realize your the guy backstabbing their mates and go hostile (with suitable checks).  Or two handed weapons have a specific purpose - like spears can impale or trip, two handed axes can disarm shields, crossbows ignore certain armour.  Stuff like that.  

Might cure me.

I like it. I also would like also that every weapon has a different combat style or purpose. In IE games changing weapon was just a matter of having a bigger dice or just being able to use it or not. Most of the clerics grow the same way in proficiencies and for fighters it was a matter of what looks cooler on the first run or what are the best available weapons in the second. Maybe speed, but I really think people didn't care much about the attack speed.

I would like to see that every weapon has their own usage. For instance:

Short swords: can be used as well for cutting or impaling. The character will use the attack according to what suits better the armor of the enemy. Also, extra +1d4 damage to backstab.

Daggers: extra attack per round. +1 to attack rolls while backstabbing.

longswords: 10% possibility of parrying an attack. Doesn't distinct if it misses or not. Parrying an attack gives an extra attack oportunity.

bastard swords: redundant. Stick to longswords.

Twohanded swords: reflex saving throw or get the shield disarmed (removed during the rest of the combat).

Spear:  greater attack distance. Characters moves always a little backwards between attacks to increase the distance with enemies.

Halberd: attacks to all the enemies in the area of the swing.

Axes: Inflicts bleeding status on hit (endurance saving throw). Accumulative. 1HP damage accumulative for every attack or action made, plus 1HP every 5 seconds. Status removed with any healing skill or with regeneration.

Maces: Inflicts stun status. Endurance saving throw.

Clubs: redundant with maces.

Flails/ whips: Inflicts damage once per head (Multihits. Useful agains mirrored images or stoneskins).

Hammer: Reduced damage against soft armors. Increased damage against hard armors (plates)

Bow: Attacking from distance

Crossbow: multiple shots in one strike.

Sling: Inflicts stun. Critical hits in the head deals x5 damage and faints (save to avoid).

Darts: If hits the enemy, it sticks in their body dealing 1 extra HP damage every round. Up to 4 darts. Every round there is 1d4 possibilities of every dart to drop down.

Quarterstaff: 1d4 to block the incoming attack. Doesn't prevent extra magic damage (like the extra damage from fire arows) but prevents casting spells to be disrupted. Saving throws +1 plus 1 for every magic level. Time of effects reduced by 1 round per magic level.

Wands: Casting time reduced by 1. Magic damage increased by 1 +1 every magic level. Saving throws against your spells have a penalty of -1 plus one for every magic level. Time of effects increased by 1 round per magic level.

Missing something?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So -if I was an entitled gamer- I would like that shiny stuff implemented as it helps move away from dagger>shortsword>longsword>Bsword/katana just doing 2 extra dam per category, bit slower on the attack, and having the same animation. 

addendum: placing the katana at the top o' the sword-chain is a bit like placing the chinchilla at the top o' the animal kingdom food-chain. tiger>polar bear> crocodile> chinchilla? seriously. a short, fat, draw-cut weapon that were useless against armour?  am understanding that obsidian is making a game, so reality not need match game content. heck, as you increase realism you invariably decrease fun when dealing with these kinda games, but that being said, am kinda tired o' game developers perpetuating katana myths.  the katana deserves a place 'bout equal with fire-hardened pointy stick on the ">" list... and if the stick is long enough, we would probably give the advantage to the stick. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'd like the ability for my character to decide after a particularly grueling and emotionally draining trial that maybe there are better people to handle the difficult situations of the world, and that nice town he saw a couple of weeks back could probably use a nice hotel 'n' pub.  Maybe he would even get a chance to try out his idea for a thin bread covered in cheese and leftovers as a twice monthly treat; Something that he would name after his childhood friend, Lisa Pisa.  Then, after months of trying to gain the trust of the local villagers and finally starting to earn a steady profit, a young adventurer would come in, full of energy and confidence, they would lock eyes, and have a moment.  Then you could finally reroll your character as this new guy.

Nah, I'm kidding.  I'm loving how this game is turning out so far.  Looking forward to it.

So -if I was an entitled gamer- I would like that shiny stuff implemented as it helps move away from dagger>shortsword>longsword>Bsword/katana just doing 2 extra dam per category, bit slower on the attack, and having the same animation. 

addendum: placing the katana at the top o' the sword-chain is a bit like placing the chinchilla at the top o' the animal kingdom food-chain. tiger>polar bear> crocodile> chinchilla? seriously. a short, fat, draw-cut weapon that were useless against armour?  am understanding that obsidian is making a game, so reality not need match game content. heck, as you increase realism you invariably decrease fun when dealing with these kinda games, but that being said, am kinda tired o' game developers perpetuating katana myths.  the katana deserves a place 'bout equal with fire-hardened pointy stick on the ">" list... and if the stick is long enough, we would probably give the advantage to the stick. 

HA! Good Fun!

that is what we get for posting in wee hours... *sigh*

tiger<polar bear<crocodile< chinchilla

regardless, the katana were not even a particularly effective weapon in its historical and geographical context, so to place it up against and ahead of superior weapons is what we rail against.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

HA! Good Fun!

that is what we get for posting in wee hours... *sigh*

tiger<polar bear<crocodile< chinchilla

regardless, the katana were not even a particularly effective weapon in its historical and geographical context, so to place it up against and ahead of superior weapons is what we rail against.

HA! Good Fun!

I heard they shattered a lot to such an extent that some Samurai avoided blocking (on the flat edge) altogether.  But yeah, its the concept that appeals to me - the fact that a weapon and smith have been crafted in a particular manner that achieves a particular standard.  It's a bit romantic, but I'd like to think that only a few have achieved that level, and that there is a katana out there that is as deadly as lore would suggest.  Metalworking was/is such a closely guarded craft, that it's kind of possible. 

So "Golem wielding a two handed hammer in both hands would just blast past that parry from katana wielding gnome".  But then it's fantasy.  Gnome might have drunk a potion.  So maybe the above paragraph is preferable to the aformentioned quote...if handled with care... ;(  

we noted already that reality is a bane of fun. am recalling a treatise we read 'bout armoured combat-- duels in full plate. now, don't get us wrong, full plate is great protection a horseback, and perhaps when storming a fixed fortification wherein your foe has gotta stand and fight you, but it ain't really dueling garb. the typical armored combat were looking little different than a couple o' 8 year olds with with buckets on their heads and broom handles for swords... save for the ugly end. the combatants would beat on each other, ineffectually, hoping to concuss their foe or find a weak spot in armour... finding weak spots were made all that much more difficult as the combatants were wearing plate armour. now in spite o' the romanticism 'bout articulated plate armour and how youtube videos show that  it is possible to do cartwheels whilst wearing such protection, it were still relative cumbersome. so armour guy 1 and 2 would swing at each other till they got fatigued or somebody inevitably slipped... in point o' fact, wrestling moves became far more important in armoured duels than were swordsmanship. one brave knight would wrestle the other champion o' justice to the ground and then drive a weapon through the prone foe's visor. very romantic. am doubting we see such stuff in pillars.

am not a fan o' reality in our fantasy games, but the katana mythology has always irritated us. 

HA! Good Fun!