RPG elements that I would die for

1. Dramatic choice and true crossroads

In most games there is are a lot of focus to preserve the world and making every quest as accessible as possible.  This normally means that you can do every quest in the game whatever choice you make. I miss the feeling of being a part of the world in many game. Most of the time you get the illusion of choices but the outcome is always the set. If you have a more sandbox view of the world where it is set when you start but then as soon as you saga begins your decisions will dramatically change where it will end and what is available. Things that I always wanted but missed are as follows:

Starting wars and be able to choose sides or backstab your allies.

Burning/pillaging cities/countries that will change the appearance and the mood of the city/country.

Choosing to support different kings/queens and factions and then see them evolve over time.

The replay value would be enormous even if some player styles might half the available content just because of the choices they make. You should still be able to choose the middle way and the get the most content for it. But not all…

1. Social appearance

I would like to see a game were what you actually wear make sense of what you actually is saying. I mean how many times have you not been armed to the teeth while attending the king’s ball. While all other NPC:s are dressed in their fines and not one of them comments on your enormous axe and orc/barbarian party member standing next to you. Same goes when you try to try to fool the guards that you are a beggar while wearing a mithrill dragon armor. This will also make you think of what you are wearing and not just what stats it gives you.

I would love to see a casual set and maybe a formal set for your inventory to switch between. In additional to the adventure set.

1. Investments and trade

Everyone want their own house or castell in the world, but why can you never play a more business guided character. Invest in business or work as trader. Set up trade routes and negotiate trade deals. To be a wealthy adventurer that does not have just a house, but an office, employees and a home in every corner of the world.

I am an old table top player, and I think that there are a lot of quests that are not being created at the moment just because they do not involve combat. I like the combat element in games but the greatest memories I have is from the story I created in my head. Not always the main story line of the game.

Please add your own RPG elements that you are missing in the games made today.

• Like 7

There are no RPG elements worth dying for. But there's perhaps a few for which I'd fork over a little extra coin.

• Creates an emotional response -- like a good book, I want to care about something in the story. Even if it is just taking down the bad guy.
  • Worthwhile companions -- traveling with characters who I would actually want to meet in real life.
  • Enjoyable interactions -- I prefer that at least some of the denizens feel alive and provide an interesting discourse.
  • Explorable, interesting world -- a setting/genre that holds more interest than just a place to find creatures to fight.
  • Sense of accomplishment -- at the end I want to feel like I've achieved something more meaningful than just repeatedly clicking a mouse button.
  • Like 5

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

To be honest, I really like what DA3 is doing. You capture castles and then upgrade, destroy or do what ever else will be possible with them. I would really like to see a mix between a game like PoE and something like Civilization (but simplified so it more of an feature and not the main point of a game).

• Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

To be honest, I really like what DA3 is doing. You capture castles and then upgrade, destroy or do what ever else will be possible with them. I would really like to see a mix between a game like PoE and something like Civilization (but simplified so it more of an feature and not the main point of a game).

A game of dreams! Not just a fantasy 4x-game like Fallen Enchantress, but a true RPG with a Civ Light on top in a clever and entertaining way! Gimme now!! :)

• Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I'd enjoy it if I could leave a legacy with my hard earned cash. Investing in projects like building a library or university, building and supplying a zoo/park, things like that

I heard prestige is going to be a thing with your stronghold, I hope these things may apply there.

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

[truncated]

I am an old table top player, and I think that there are a lot of quests that are not being created at the moment just because they do not involve combat. I like the combat element in games but the greatest memories I have is from the story I created in my head. Not always the main story line of the game.

Please add your own RPG elements that you are missing in the games made today.

Are you saying you want all this in PoE? Or are you just referring to games in general? Because they've been making it pretty clear that Pillars is a combat-oriented experience.

Well, you sure as **** ain't getting any mithril dragon armor in PoE.

Edited by AGX-17

My intention was more to spawn ideas of what have not been done in a crpg before. I was thinking of classic table top rpg elements that I always enjoyed, but never have been tested or never quite worked in crpg.

I realize that I should have spent about an hour more on my first post, was a bit in a hurry, and a bit too eager to get something out there.

Ok I agree I might not have chosen the best title for the thread either ;-D

I know that most of the element discussed here would be almost impossible to implement in a crpg but still I am curious of what people can think of.

Sure I understand that mithrill is not PoE lore, but I as many are not D&D players, I still think everyone understood what I meant :-D

A crpg that can simulate a good PnP rpg experience would require a level of AI development that we haven't managed yet. Once we do that though, it's probably game over anyway....

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

make it interesting to end at middle management in an organisation.

• Like 4

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

1. Realistic, mature, living characters.

2. Good, interesting storyline.

3. Meaningfol decisions (both in char progression, and the story)

4. Living, interactiv world.

5. Athmospheric.

6. As many role-playing possibilitis as possible.

7. Non buged abilitys/ quests/ decisions (i will even stand some graphical bugs).

• Like 1

Or, as a not-as-good-but-still-better-than-usual option, at the very least, make it actually difficulty/resource-intensive to get to the top of an organization. AND don't let the player get to the top of every organization. AND if you're going to give the player some spiffy item for making it to that position, at least make it an awesome item, instead of just a mildly pretty-decent one that can easily be outshone by effortlessly-crafted-by-the-player stuff (I'm looking at you, Robes of the Archmage from Skyrim).

:)

But seriously... I would still much prefer for simply climbing into pretty good ranks to be the way to go, and for it to be interesting and meaningful, instead of just rungs on the ladder to faction CEO.

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Or, as a not-as-good-but-still-better-than-usual option, at the very least, make it actually difficulty/resource-intensive to get to the top of an organization. AND don't let the player get to the top of every organization. AND if you're going to give the player some spiffy item for making it to that position, at least make it an awesome item, instead of just a mildly pretty-decent one that can easily be outshone by effortlessly-crafted-by-the-player stuff (I'm looking at you, Robes of the Archmage from Skyrim).

:)

But seriously... I would still much prefer for simply climbing into pretty good ranks to be the way to go, and for it to be interesting and meaningful, instead of just rungs on the ladder to faction CEO.

I also think so, but i also think that some organisations (in skyrim mostly) where desined stupidly....

1 mage gulid, 1 warrior gulid, 1 rogue gulid, 1 anti-goverment gulid, 1 goverment gulid.

For example im orcish spellsword.....

And im propably gonna join mage and warrior gulids (becouse i have both type of abilitys) and for example 1 anti goverent ... the only gulit that i was feeling that i was realy belonging to was anti-goverment ... pure warrior and pure magic gulids was immersion brakers to my char.

I shoud be more intelectial then pure fighters and more brave/ combat oriented then pure casters ... the "non-class" based gulid was the best becouse no one was asking me to fix problems in pure "wizard-style" or "pure-warrior style" .. or at least they don't made that clear ...

Scoundry after a wile i have becouse the master of wizards gulid and fighter at the same time ... more then non-realistic to me ...

I think that there shoud be more "non-class-based organizations" or at least "pure class organizations shoud only take those who are in their "piont of view", wirad gulid shoud take wizards and sorcerers but to druid ...

thanks to obsidan in PoE we will have kitts of our class so propably no pure rogue coud join wizards gulid etc ..

• Like 1

@OP

Social appearance

*PoE text choices manage to broaden the potential role-playing your character/party can do for little animation cost. (because just a picture and not shown but described)

In the case of dressing up for the kings ball the player would be presented choices on what he/she wishes to do there based on player skills

ie - social appearance, a silly example

The text sets the scene that you have infiltrated the kings ball...

dexterity ~ swipe the kings liquor and poison it

strength ~ intimidate a servant into giving you more wine

persuasiveness ~ convince the king that one of his nobles is there to assassinate him.

In terms of dramatic choice and true crossroads

Well there are bound to be forks in the road and this text style of rpg certainly allows for more fleshed out content. Not sure how consequential your choices will be to the end result but I do hear that Obsidian are planning on having fallout style multiple endings so there's hope I'd say.

Investments and trade

I hear a certain player stronghold holds many possibilities for collecting taxes, political disputes and probably trade routes from merchants who are drawn there.

*What matters in terms of features is that they are implemented well. Any idea has potential but you have to prioritize features in terms of time and budget.

Edited by Tuckey

strength ~ intimidate a servant into giving you more wine

I don't think that Strength = intimidation. You may be strong and not look strong and you may look strong but not be so strong. Secoundly i think that i fire ball is more intimidating then muscules....

But more noticibly, for an example :

1. You have very strong, blonde paladin in shiny armor that is talking abou law ..

2. You have serial killer, kanibal, psychopath in Joker style, face coveres in scarsr waird tattos etc. but he is not looking "strong".

And with of those are more "intimidaiting" ?

giving you more wine

I don't think that Strength = intimidation. You may be strong and not look strong and you may look strong but not be so strong. Secoundly i think that i fire ball is more intimidating then muscules....

1. You have very strong, blonde paladin in shiny armor that is talking abou law ..

2. You have serial killer, kanibal, psychopath in Joker style, face coveres in scarsr waird tattos etc. but he is not looking "strong".

big muscles ussually more intimidating than pale scin, greasy hair and weak eyesight.

But i agree that pals/LG sould be restricted form "intimidating" option.

giving you more wine

big muscles ussually more intimidating than pale scin, greasy hair and weak eyesight.

But i agree that pals/LG sould be restricted form "intimidating" option.

Im not talking about pale skin or green hair, i am takling about personality :

if we have "good cop that allways do right thing" and "unpredictable serial killaer, pshy kanibal" then the secont person whoud be more intimidaiting regardles of "how much muscules" they have :)

KGB or other "assasinn special goups" where not so intimidaiting becouse they have muscules but becouse they coud kill you easly (even stronger people) or kill you for hours ... enjoing it ...

What is more intimidaiting arrogant buck of meat or specialized assasin that coud end you before you say "help" .. (not mentioning atacking)

Edited by Ulquiorra

What is more intimidaiting arrogant buck of meat or specialized assasin that coud end you before you say "help" .. (not mentioning atacking)

ofc first one. Who cares if assasin could kill you before u call for help if u cannot confirm this from his appearance if we talking about crpg  "intimidation"?

ofc first one. Who cares if assasin could kill you before u call for help if u cannot confirm this from his appearance if we talking about crpg  "intimidation"?

Yeah if you don't know that then that.s ok .. but if you knew .... than this other thing ..

other example

Mucsulinge guy .. and kanibal ..

Strong guy - I will cruch you bones ...

Kanibal guy - I will enjout eating you for weeks ...

Who is more intimidaiting ? :)

What I am looking for is to give some more focus to what you are wearing and when. Of course you should not be forced to have a wardrobe for each situation if that is not your play style. But if you are in to that you should get something for it.

One way would be to have a kind of set bonus in the same way as for amour also for normal cloth. For example if you have the newest and most expensive fashion in the city it should give a bonus to diplomacy and can generate some more conversation options with some characters. The same would go if you look like a trader when you haggle or a blacksmith at the smith.

A cloak that shows that you are a captain of the city guard would give a bonus to intimidation in some situation and with some characters.

If you are dressed in rags and walks in to a noble house they should comment your clothing. They might not even want to address you, without using a skill as diplomacy or intimidation to get their attention.

I would also love to see a reputation system that is connected to an alias. What I mean is that you can choose to call yourself something else than your character’s real name. This means that you can create one alias that might be a famous villain and another alias that is a loved hero. Your skills in subterfuge and disguises for example would see if you get away with it. Otherwise you get found out and you get famous as being a fraud, and both aliases are ruined or merged.

• Like 7

^ Yesss.

As a simple example, D&D had, in the equipment/goods list, various types/qualities of clothing (not even armor... just clothing). So, you could spend 50gp, and be dressed like a merchant, and people would actually more readily accept you as a merchant, etc. 200gp or so, and you could pass, visually, as a noble or someone of social import.

So, really, beyond just clothing even, it would be nice to be able to invest in goods/resources that serve purely non-combat functions.

In that whole "combat versus non-combat approaches to things" debate in some other threads, one of the main points was "combat costs you resources and whatnot, and stealth/diplomacy costs you nothing." But... what if it DID cost you stuff? In this case, the examples are mainly illustrating "diplomacy," to use the general skill name for non-combat manipulation/result-effectation.

These people will only let you in if you FORCE your way in, or if you pass as a caravan? Better go gather information on local caravans, and fork over money to at least rent a wagon o' goods and some proper attire, etc.

• Like 3

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

give my party the need to eat sleep and drink and let cold and warm klima influence them.

Make us need a place to stay (maybe even build) and let some crafting take time. When resting in the wild for a quest let us have campfire discussions about recent events or the current quezt ... or general topics. If resting in the inn let the groupmates hang out drink and talk together.

This sequences should be eadily ended by going to bed for people that are not interested.

give me interaction between npcs in the group not only with the player chars from discussing politics till a bloody fight because of religion or a romance I am willing to take everything as long as they are not only talking to me.

• Like 1

I like my RPG to be an RPG.

Not a date similator, not a bad RTS, not a magement sim, not a civilisation sim, not an MMO, not a shooter, not a movie.

I know it's much to ask for in this time and age, but please?

• Like 4

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Great that the RPG genera is so define that we all understand exactly what you mean. Do I also understand that you want a good game not a bad game?

The rpg:s obsidian have made historically have been an effort take the classic table top rpg to the computer. When I play table top games I want to role play not a to grinding effortless for loot. All the elements we discuss here already exist in classic rpg:s. So I do not not know what you are trying to say.

Looks like you are just trolling to be honest.

I have not played Sims so I do not know what you mean.

But if you want hack and slash I think you will be disappointed in PoE.

• Like 1