what is your worst rpg game ever played?

darthdraken

The console version of DS3 was a lot easier to play. The PC version was an exercise in frustration.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

For all my hate of Neverwinter Nights, at least I was able to complete it that one time. Though I had two or three failed attempts that made it to Act 2 before boring me to tears. 

I think I often misremember NWN because I had so much fun with the toolset, player-made stuff, and even some online DMing. But the official campaign was absolutely awful. I remember one area near the end that was a huge map, with levers in each of the corners that you had to pull... with boring filler combat happening every few feet it seemed. I couldn't understand why they had included an entire area that served no purpose other than to delay the end of the game by 20 minutes. The entire campaign felt like a bad student project, and I don't remember anything else about it.

A recurring BioWare problem I think - the endgame of KotOR was essentially the game just throwing as much Sith soldiers as it could at you. Most dull part of the game.

• Like 2

Not really limited to BioWare, most final RPG areas feel like that. Think Bloodlines, KOTOR2. Heck even Planescape Torment somewhat.

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

• 3 weeks later...

Also kinda meh with The Witcher II, not sure why so many people found it so good, to me it was overall a pretty heavy degredation from TW1. Tried re-starting after finishing to try the alternative plot, but gave up rather quickly, and never came back ever again...

I suppose I could forgive them with TW3... until I heard it was open-world, I have no hope for redemption anymore. Oh well, atleast we got GoG.

For me it's the opposite. I don't get the love for the first Witcher. :D

Anyway, I'm gonna say Too Human. Because it's bad. Not in that wishy-washy, mediocre way, where I had to admit that at least the combat was fun or slightly more entertaining than banging my head against the wall. x)

Edited by TheChris92

Oooo, just remembered Secret of Evermore and Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I am somehow torn on how to rate game from RPG perspective. But game I really cand stand was:

Fallout 3 which crushed my dreams and was plain awefull- from that point Bethesda is dead for me (die hard fan of first 2) Stupid world, stupid quests, stupid UI, stupid mechanics, stupid writing, stupid evberything

I kind liked Morrowind and it was excelent for time it came out and then we got Oblivion - boring generic platformer - I cant even call it RPG as it doesnt have any meaningfull conversations, but plus side is modding

Mass Effect 2 (didnt even try 3) - I kind of liked first one, then the second one was kind of meh. I felt like game doesnt have any story beside hoarding comrades - that actualy only think i remember

DA2 - soooooo bad after at least decent first one

and I am sure I didnt play a lot of RPG because they were so bad I dont even have to try them.

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Fallout 3, Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader and Oblivion are the only ones that come to mind right now as serious contenders. I usually try not to memorize ****; I'll remember them when I see them again and that should be enough.

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Fallout 3, Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader and Oblivion are the only ones that come to mind right now as serious contenders. I usually try not to memorize ****; I'll remember them when I see them again and that should be enough.

What was the issue with Lionheart?  I have it on GOG but I haven't played it yet and there seem to be numerous complaints

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Remember how Bloodlines abruptly falls off a cliff about two-thirds in? Lionheart falls off the cliff about a quarter* of the way in, as soon as you leave the initial city.

* Never played it through so it's a rough guess, someone who's suffered through it can probably give a better estimate.

• Like 2

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Well, yeah that's about it, what Humanoid said. I guess one of the big reasons it feels so utterly bad is because it actually starts out fairly interesting (and for me, one mark of potential - back in the day it was new - was that it didn't use D&D rules which I've never been a fan of); then, after the entrée, it proceeds to offer a full plate of tedium spiced with boredom and decorated with leaves of futility and no drinks to flush it all down.

• Like 1

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Lionheart starts as an interesting solo RPG and then ends up a bad Diablo clone.

And I say this as someone who likes Diablo and a lot of its clones.

But I think one of the biggest things about it is, following the development at the time it was being made it really felt like it was going to be THE game to beat.  The setting is one that I really liked and wanted to see how they explored it, and then I got it and Barcelona was boffo...until it wasn't.

There were some good story elements, but I found the combat (which the game pretty much is outside of Barcelona) to be tedious.

All that said, I do sometimes think I might try to replay it someday soon...

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Lionheart starts as an interesting solo RPG and then ends up a bad Diablo clone.

And I say this as someone who likes Diablo and a lot of its clones.

But I think one of the biggest things about it is, following the development at the time it was being made it really felt like it was going to be THE game to beat.  The setting is one that I really liked and wanted to see how they explored it, and then I got it and Barcelona was boffo...until it wasn't.

There were some good story elements, but I found the combat (which the game pretty much is outside of Barcelona) to be tedious.

All that said, I do sometimes think I might try to replay it someday soon...

I found that I liked game much more when I pretended that game ended after Barcelona and only rerun game until I found most of ways to pass it to that point with several different builds.

• 3 weeks later...

Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Dannor was such a horrible game that I still can't erase it from my memory. Give me a few years and I might even start to remember it fondly, as a sort of inside joke on just how terrible an RPG can be.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Just remembered probably worst RPG experience that I have ever had, it was Ring Cycle, that was just awful mess (mechanically, graphically and how buggy it was) that I could not get into even though at the time I did had little else to play.

Edited by Elerond

I haven't played any of the Origin-only Bioware 'adventures', so I'm gonna say KOTOR1 and Fallout 3, can't decide.

IMO, NWN would have been far more palatable if it allowed for full party control instead of henchmen. As it stands, it plays like an action-RPG without the benefit of action.

Well, I treated NWN more as an aRPG, I guess that's why somewhat enjoyed it (as a spell caster).

The game is more interesting as a caster, as a fighter there is absolutely nothing to do other than click on enemies. DnD fighters don't have much to do at low levels, and since its a system designed for a party so it was naturally broken in NWN. Because everything hinged on one character (they had to take into account that a player might go solo) the combat system couldn't be utilized leading to shallow and easy gameplay.

NWN is kept together by the sole virtue of being playable by anyone who can hold a mouse. Even Diablo is more sophisticated and requires more moment to moment decision making along with some rudimentary strategy in building a character.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Skyrim, followed by either Fallout 3 or Oblivion.

I really tried to like FO3, I liked the first two FOs of course, and I attempted to play through FO3 on three separate occasions as a buddy of mine said it was the best thing since sliced bread, but frankly I think it was **** and always stopped after a few hours. Good looking **** it was, but still **** all the same. Bethesda makes some of the worst games out there in my opinion. They excel at graphics, marketing, and hiring good voice actors, not at game design.

• Like 1

Neverwinter Nights.  I hated everything about it.  Because this was the start of the era where suddenly everthing had to be rendered in 3D, the visuals were god-awful ugly, and the story was a joke.  The fact that this was Bioware's followup to BG2 only made it that much more of a disappointment for me. 

Oblivion.  I really bought into the pre-release hype for that game.  "The dynamic AI is incredible, villagers go about their lives like real people!" I bragged to my friends as they rolled their eyes. Too bad the whole game was simplified to the point of stupidity.  I mean Morrowind's leveling system was ridiculously obtuse, but after spending hours reading help guides and tutorials, I eventually discovered a system with pretty much infinite flexibility.  I played about an hour of Oblivion and was just confused how they could have gone from the most complicated system to the most basic.  I also got burned twice by this game.  I bought it for PC at release, but it was pretty much a slideshow on my old system, so I paid another $50 for the Xbox version : / 

I played about an hour of Oblivion and was just confused how they could have gone from the most complicated system to the most basic.

I would hazard a bet that this is why Ken Rolston left the company when the game finally shipped.  I certainly don't know it, but I had the impression ~from somewhere~ that he was not a happy camper.