what is your worst rpg game ever played?

darthdraken

It probably says a lot about me that I've descended into a state of self-loathing for:

a. Not noticing "rpg games"

and

b. Not calling out the redundancy of "rpg games."

Not even touching the grammar of the whole title because I'll probably engage in self-flagellation as a result. Believe me, a backside shredded by whipping is not a fun thing.

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 2

Well, consider the context, man. This was originally posted in WoT, and they regularly discuss heavy ordnance over there. Redundancy may have been necessary to make it clear that OP was not referring to mishaps with shoulder-fired missiles.

(does that make you feel better?)

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Well, consider the context, man. This was originally posted in WoT, and they regularly discuss heavy ordnance over there. Redundancy may have been necessary to make it clear that OP was not referring to mishaps with shoulder-fired missiles.

(does that make you feel better?)

I remember the game BLACK on PS2 had some fantastic shoulder-fired RPG elements. It had everything, from stealthy pistol work, to great big set pieces with bazookas. Nice physics and outstanding audio design really made that game. 

Edit: whoops, I mean, it was the worst RPG game

Edited by ManifestedISO

All Stop. On Screen.

I think that would be Witcher 2. But I don't play all rpgs, if I don't like the setting/gameplay I won't play it. So there are a lot of rpgs I never played and they could all be worse than the witcher 2.

I'm curious; what was wrong with Witcher 2? (I've not finished Witcher 2)

*Witcher(#1) ranks as the best RPG that I've played that was not published by Black Ilse.

**I have several peeves with Witcher 2 already, but am curious as to what yours are.

For my worst RPG.... It's a cheap shot to say Fallout 3; though it came first to mind... It's not the worst RPG I've played.

I assume that the OP means worst cRPG; otherwise there are plenty of bad RPGs to pick from that were PnP games.

The worst cRPG that I've played is... well... I can't say Oblivion either, though it came second to mind after FO3.

Being the worst RPG, is not being the worst game, and neither Oblivion nor Fallout 3 are bad games IMO ~terrible RPGs though.

I guess it would have to be either Lionheart or Inquisition... but to be fair, I didn't play either all the way through ~but wanted to, and that's the first tell right there that something is wrong with them.  Lionheart had a great system, and fantastic premise... and seemed to fall flat with both, unless it got MUCH better after the part when I stopped playing it. Inquisition just couldn't hold my interest enough to keep playing.

Besides, I think Skyrim is a worse RPG in its vanilla state.

Goodness! I had completely forgot about that one!

[Yes I'm not kidding, I did forget about it when trying to recall RPGs that I'd played.]

Add Skyrim to my list; IMO it's a worse RPG than the others, but the best looking game of the lot. (Have to excel at something I suppose.)

Edited by Gizmo

Also kinda meh with The Witcher II, not sure why so many people found it so good, to me it was overall a pretty heavy degredation from TW1. Tried re-starting after finishing to try the alternative plot, but gave up rather quickly, and never came back ever again...

I suppose I could forgive them with TW3... until I heard it was open-world, I have no hope for redemption anymore. Oh well, atleast we got GoG.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Also kinda meh with The Witcher II, not sure why so many people found it so good, to me it was overall a pretty heavy degredation from TW1. Tried re-starting after finishing to try the alternative plot, but gave up rather quickly, and never came back ever again...

I suppose I could forgive them with TW3... until I heard it was open-world, I have no hope for redemption anymore. Oh well, atleast we got GoG.

Witcher 2 added a few things of interest, and got rid of just about everything I liked from the first game. :(

Open world does sound depressing (for those that will actually look closely at it, and understand a bit of the limitations it will bring); but it IS CDProjekt, so... If it can be done well, I expect that it will be.

Edited by Gizmo

I don't know if it's actually bad, but I got very bored by Risen. Next would be Mass Effect 1 (very amateurishly made), and Dragon Age Origins (very repetitive and tedious, almost without any creativity at all).

• Like 1

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I think its kind of funny that most of the games mentioned are games I really enjoyed, and probably a good half won RPG of the year when they came out.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Somewhere between Oblivion and DA2.... hard to decide.

If it comes to non high budget titles, i'd say Arcanum, due to awful AWFUL combat mechanics. While the game had some really cool ideas and features, that one thing just made it unplayable for me.

There are some games I did not even touch due to bad opinions, hence there are probably even worse games, but I did not play them (fortunately)

RPGNet's Pen and Paper worst RPGs ever, with an explanation of the Pure Evil that was F.A.T.A.L. http://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/Worst_RPGs_ever

Don't try any of this at home.

Seriously.

NSFW and get ready to fail your Sanity Check.

Ah F.A.T.A.L. Two pages dedicated solely to rape mechanics.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

To start with, I have to just say Titan Quest is an awesome arpg. Someone needs to defend that game...

But on topic, the worst rpg I have played has to be Two Worlds. Awful, awful game.

Agreed on both fronts.  Titan Quest is my favorite loot em up (loomup?) ever.  It has a thoroughly great dual mastery advancement  system that allows for building characters in a vast variety of different ways, and is probably the best loot em up I've ever payed in terms of allowing unusual yet viable character builds.  I've sort of stopped calling those types of games "RPGs" or even "aRPGs".  I'm not going to argue whether they are technically RPGs according to Hoyle or not, I just think that "loot em up" gives a much more clear, easily recognizable, picture of that type of game, whereas aRPG could be anything ranging from The Witcher to Diablo to Borderlands, and those are obviously very different types of games.

As far as Two Worlds goes, that game is flat out awful, though I think its sequel is actually even worse overall.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I love Titan Quest as a Diablo-type game.

I was looking through some of my old games and remembered how bland and uninspired I found Dungeon Lords (so much so I never finished it). Although IIRC it was one of those dump jobs where the game went out unfinished (a bit like Lionheart, from what I've heard).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Problem with Titan Quest is that the game lacked soul. Something that games like Sacred and Divine Divinity did have.

Two Worlds was awesome, best game ever for killing and looting.

Two Worlds 2 had promise, but they did away with the glorious open world for a more story-driven experience but said story had the most retarted twist ending I've ever witnessed in a game.

Edited by Drudanae

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I dunno, I played Titan Quest a lot more than I did Sacred (another game I liked). YMMV, of course.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

1. Eye of the Beholder 3: One of the few games i've stopped playing, uninstalled and given away. That bad.

2. Ultima 8: The jumping, killing children, the waste of all the promise that was shown in the build up to revealing Pagan. Still finished and must admit there were some good parts to it, such as meeting the Demon in the Black Sword.

3. Ultima 9: No, just no, what the devil were you thinking Mr Garriot. Finished and wished i hadn't.

4. Dragon Age 2: almost finished, gave up when the glowing Templar woman shot into space, uninstalled and haven't touched since. Probably the worst narrative, plot, setting and characters i've ever seen in a game. A tremendous step back in the medium, but I got sixty hours worth of game out of it so it served its purpose. Did she show up in ME3?

5. Mass Effect 2: The usual illogical and nonsensical Bioware plotting and blatant protagonist empowerment, but at least unlike DA2 this was fun, even though everyone in the Galaxy is sickeningly stupid.

• Like 4

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

This is why I hate having to do best or worst. You guys keep reminding me of why I hate other games here.

For all my hate of Neverwinter Nights, at least I was able to complete it that one time. Though I had two or three failed attempts that made it to Act 2 before boring me to tears. Two Worlds I had to cheat through or I wouldn't have lasted 3 hours. Two Worlds 2 only lasted as long as it took for me to finally experience the magic system, it's awful.

Which of these three is the worst? Find me a six sided die, we'll roll it, and I'll be content with that.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

3. Ultima 9: No, just no, what the devil were you thinking Mr Garriot. Finished and wished i hadn't.

At least you could finish it... I would have liked to, but for some reason the game wouldn't fire a trigger needed to continue. And loading other savegames didn't help (or were there none? only quicksave? can't remember...) Still frustrated for playing that thing for so long and then not being able to finish it :(

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Of the RPGs(NWN oc, DA 2, Throne of Bhaal, Lionheart, Jade Empire) I've forced myself to finish(I bought them and by damn I'll finish them) Lionheart was the worst. Simply because the ending was so bad, so very bad.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

After I began island hopping on Ultima IX, I just gave up on it and uninstalled, and I have never looked back since.

As for TitanQuest, it's almost the opposite. I just refuse to uninstall that game from my Steam library. I bought it like three years (I was late getting it. I had NWN2 on my plate big time back then). And still, even now I get back to TQ, now and then, and I have a character now that feels just right and skittles onwards at my pace (I have perhaps 40 hours on the clock on that character). TitanQuest do feel atmospheric enough for an ARPG, I reckon, which is like six years old at that. I love Greek mythology, the Mediterranean and Antiquity in general, so to me, it has soul. And the loot is interesting and varied, and so are the mini-bosses and bosses. I think the fighting is a bit stiff at times, but Path of Exile's (several years later) was not much better in that regard.

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***