Pleistocene animals would be very welcome as a) they're not often used in games (dire wolves excepted, of course); b) they're generally large enough to do serious damage if riled; and c) some of them are highly unusual and would provide welcome visual interest.

Regardless of whether or not Pleistocene, Holocene, or fantasy animals are used for animal companions, fleshing them out and making them more than a walking/flying weapon should be a priority.  As they'll be with us throughout the game, they need substantially more depth than a no-name pedestrian in the market district of City X.

Edited by Tsuga C

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

I don't know if I'm remembering this correctly, but don't we get a base of operations of some sort? (I may be confusing this with the new Torment) If I am remembering right, I wouldn't mind being able to have some pets mainly for aesthetic purposes. Like dogs or cats roaming around the place etc-- oh of course I'm down for any kind of proper animal companion also!

• Like 2

^ Maybe the more cats you have, the fewer vermin you have, and, consequently, the less disease runs rampant. In your stronghold, I mean. 8P

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I don't know if I'm remembering this correctly, but don't we get a base of operations of some sort? (I may be confusing this with the new Torment) If I am remembering right, I wouldn't mind being able to have some pets mainly for aesthetic purposes. Like dogs or cats roaming around the place etc-- oh of course I'm down for any kind of proper animal companion also!

Yes, the stretch goals included a player house and a stronghold. No mention of rusty the rodent slayer or thy faithful hound, sir stinky breath.

• Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I've always wanted to see a game take a cue of animals from some of the extinct species in nature - and not just dinosaurs (I'm trying to do wolf-bear sized critters from memory so apologies if I miss remember).

Instead of a normal fox or wolf, how about Dusicyon australis?

Instead of a brown bear, how about a Kolponomos?

Instead of a lion or tiger, what about a Miracinonyx inexpectatus?

Along those lines I would welcome Nothrotheriops Shasta, Glyptotherium texanum, Thylacoleo carnifex, or Aptornis defossor, or similar.

Or, you know...a wolf and a bear and a wombat or something would still be cool.

Are any of those the giant Australian megafauna I remember from geology class. That's a great idea, if so. 

All Stop. On Screen.

I've always wanted to see a game take a cue of animals from some of the extinct species in nature - and not just dinosaurs (I'm trying to do wolf-bear sized critters from memory so apologies if I miss remember).

Instead of a normal fox or wolf, how about Dusicyon australis?

Instead of a brown bear, how about a Kolponomos?

Instead of a lion or tiger, what about a Miracinonyx inexpectatus?

Along those lines I would welcome Nothrotheriops Shasta, Glyptotherium texanum, Thylacoleo carnifex, or Aptornis defossor, or similar.

Or, you know...a wolf and a bear and a wombat or something would still be cool.

Are any of those the giant Australian megafauna I remember from geology class. That's a great idea, if so.

Thylacoleo carnifex is the Australian "Marsupial Lion". The Aptornis defossor is the "South Island Adzebill" from New Zealand but actually much shorter than a lot of other giant birds (which tended towards to be plant eaters except for maybe one which there is debate on).

Nothrotheriops Shasta (one of the smaller giant ground sloths with razor claws), Glyptotherium texanum (a giant armadillo that could serve as an aimal tank), Miracinonyx inexpectatus (the "American Cheetah"), Kolponomos (an early Ursid) and Dusicyon australis (the Falkland Islands Fox or Flakland Islands Wolf) all come from North/South America.

But there are a lot of extinct megafauna from the Pliocene/Holoocine eras to explore. Might be harder to model since some of them are different from common modern animals though, I guess.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the stretch goals included a player house and a stronghold. No mention of rusty the rodent slayer or thy faithful hound, sir stinky breath.

Ahahaha! Great cat and dog names, I'm glad I remembered correctly about that stretch goal. I can't wait to see it!

I'm just hoping that there will be appropriate responses to keeping a hulking wild beast in your company.

"Greetings, Sir. Welcome to The Grand Cosmopolitan Hotel. Notice the irreplacable artwork, expensive furnishings, and exotic rugs--each individually valued more than the entire lifetime income of a commoner. Nevermind that behemoth dire boar thundering about with you, come right in!"

• Like 1

^ Haha.

"You and that serpent that could kill anyone with a single bite in a mere instant wish to have an audience with the king within his personal space bubble? Absolutely! ^_^"

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

What I'd like for animal companions:

Cuttlefish (Flying air breathing version)

Tarsier

Kakapo

Naked Mole Rat Colony(roughly 40 of them, including a queen)

Naked Mole Cranium Rat Colony (Roughly one of them that happens to have a body made out of 40 separate creatures)

Hunting Ferret

Hunting Poodle (Poodles used to be hunting animals before dog breeders got their hands on them)

Pug

Purebred Bulldog (dies of heatstroke on exposure to sunlight)

Kangaroo Rat

Spinx Cat

Dire Elk

Duckbunny