I don't think ranger companions are 'summoned' - I think they're permanently there.

That's ok, I'd be fine with a "permanent" snarky talking cat companion, too. I'm not picky. :-

I sorta like the snake idea...or some kind of fantasy reptile. Reptiles aren't done too often, seems like. Fantasy version (as in a bit larger) of a gila monster, perhaps?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It would be cool to have something diffrent then generic wolf /panther animal companion. But to be honest it's hard to come up with something that would fit and woudln't be too silly , too exotica ( or at least exotic just for the sake of being exotic) or too high fantasy.

Hawks , and predator birds in general  could be interesting but that can open whole new can of worms.

The "supernatural event" our main character witnesses at the beginning of the PoE story is actually just a honey badger caring.

you finally made me laugh Lephys. After all those puns and terrible side-jokes, you've finally done it. Damn you, I'm tearing up.

• Like 1

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

The "supernatural event" our main character witnesses at the beginning of the PoE story is actually just a honey badger caring.

you finally made me laugh Lephys. After all those puns and terrible side-jokes, you've finally done it. Damn you, I'm tearing up.

Obviously, I had to lull you into a false sense of security. "Pff, his jokes are horrible... I don't have to worry about spontaneously laughing at anything he says."

Well SURPRISE! Now back to your regularly scheduled programming, u_u...

A Boar. Extra damage for the tusks.

If your foes are physically capable of crying, you could end up boaring them to tears. 8)

Also, in light of the Boreal Dwarves, I vote for battle penguins.

There's a news story about a little penguin in Japan who got rescued by a family there, and now he wears a backpack and makes a regular trip to the market to pick up fish for the family. They "pay" the penguin in fresh fish, for his courier service, and fill his backpack with fish, then he runs them back home to the family.

I have a MIGHTY NEEEEEEED! O_O (he could carry items, unlike other animal companions).

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

(he could carry items, unlike other animal companions).

Mummy-Kangaroo companion says "oh yeah?"

I like the giant lizard idea too - Monitor Lizard ftw

Mini Battle Elephant?

Turtle-Power! (somebody had to say it)

Maybe Rat companion could summon Rat-Horde for a special attack.

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

I'd still like a gelatinous cube pet ... that's not Ranger-ry enough tho, I suppose. :p

...I'd still like a cat-influenced companion. Doesn't have to be a huge panther. Could be an ocelot. or Puss N Boots. A talking cat with attitude that would bicker with my Ranger every time it's summoned. Yes, that's what I want.

I'm not into birds as pets ... but if I have to have one, could it be something like a vulture, instead of the usual hawk/eagle?

Kerfluffles the gelatinous cube companion could be the pet of an Orlan sewer ranger. Not sure it could keep up real well though...

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I'll vote for a fox.

But, and this is important for the sound team, what does the fox say?

Until i took arrow in the knee ?

I am pretty sure the fox doesn't say crap about taking an arrow in the knee.  Retarded meme crap.  It obviously tells you about how upset it is because someone stole it's sweetroll.

• 2 weeks later...

Do they have to be living companions, what's wrong with questing to affect the release of a lich's undead ostrich, or ... ostri-lich. A fiercely loyal companion, it would be. Might even have its own ossuary inside the skull of a cassowary.   

:w00t:  Ok, now I want an Ostrilich. 

• Like 1

The romance topics get wierder and wierder.

true stuff....

also some people claim they are happy that romance is not in because it is so often not done realistcly. Next post they ask for raptors scorpions dragons or giant crabs as their companions that follow every command and execute your will doing fancy cooldown moves... because that is totally like hunting pets work and doesnt kill the flavor at all...

I've always wanted to see a game take a cue of animals from some of the extinct species in nature - and not just dinosaurs (I'm trying to do wolf-bear sized critters from memory so apologies if I miss remember).

Instead of a normal fox or wolf, how about Dusicyon australis?

Instead of a brown bear, how about a Kolponomos?

Instead of a lion or tiger, what about a Miracinonyx inexpectatus?

Along those lines I would welcome Nothrotheriops Shasta, Glyptotherium texanum, Thylacoleo carnifex, or Aptornis defossor, or similar.

Or, you know...a wolf and a bear and a wombat or something would still be cool.

• Like 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man