The Case for Romance.

Why are you in such a mood, I hate it when you shout ;(

I still don't get what you are saying, if there is no Romance in a game then how would I have the Romance option as a choice for deeper party interaction. I must see the options for Romance like in DA in order for there to be Romance. I don' think even you understand what you are saying....maybe someone can explain it to me?

I'm not shouting at all.

It's about opening your mind to the possibilities. I know that's kind of hard for you to do. It's never too late to give up your prejudices. You've shown at least once (and I can only recall once) in WoT that even after pages and pages and hundreds of comments by fellow posters, you can accept a different view point, even if it takes hundreds of posts to convince you. Those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything. This is where you seem to be. The measure of intelligence is the ability to change.

Something to ponder over. :)

Bruce, he's talking about implied role playing using the imagination to fill in the parts of the game that is outside the scope of actual gameplay. In your head. Creating stories for yourself regarding what is happening after hours or in between the butt kicking for goodness part. Minsc (+Boo) and Dynaheir getting it on at the Friendly Arm. Keldorn showing some of the inner workings of his Radiant Heart to Anomen and showing him who's the master paladin. There...instant romance.

During the course of gameplay, we get a sense of what is going on with our party interaction. We don't have to explicitly see/hear what is going on in camp. If you think there is some extracurricular activity going on, well why not? Let your imagination go with it. Hiro's smurfs certainly did.

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Why are you in such a mood, I hate it when you shout ;(

I still don't get what you are saying, if there is no Romance in a game then how would I have the Romance option as a choice for deeper party interaction. I must see the options for Romance like in DA in order for there to be Romance. I don' think even you understand what you are saying....maybe someone can explain it to me?

I'm not shouting at all.

It's about opening your mind to the possibilities. I know that's kind of hard for you to do. It's never too late to give up your prejudices. You've shown at least once (and I can only recall once) in WoT that even after pages and pages and hundreds of comments by fellow posters, you can accept a different view point, even if it takes hundreds of posts to convince you. Those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything. This is where you seem to be. The measure of intelligence is the ability to change.

Something to ponder over. :)

Yes I do consider myself someone who is prepared to change there mind if you can present facts and a logical perspective. I just haven't seen this around "why there shouldn't be Romance in RPG"

This is not the same as accepting there won't be Romance in the first PoE :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Bruce, he's talking about implied role playing using the imagination to fill in the parts of the game that is outside the scope of actual gameplay. In your head. Creating stories for yourself regarding what is happening after hours or in between the butt kicking for goodness part. Minsc (+Boo) and Dynaheir getting it on at the Friendly Arm. Keldorn showing some of the inner workings of his Radiant Heart to Anomen and showing him who's the master paladin. There...instant romance.

During the course of gameplay, we get a sense of what is going on with our party interaction. We don't have to explicitly see/hear what is going on in camp. If you think there is some extracurricular activity going on, well why not? Let your imagination go with it. Hiro's smurfs certainly did.

Okay thanks for explaining. I see the point and how it could be applicable but that wouldn't work for me for a number of reasons. But I see what you mean :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

what is happening after hours or in between the butt kicking for goodness part. Minsc (+Boo) and Dynaheir getting it on at the Friendly Arm.

Very true. And I'm still hearing stories of what they got up to. :(  

Also true for Minsc and Dynaheir, as well as Khalid and Jaheira. Many a night I would hear banging, panting, screaming from their bedrooms. One night Imoen being her mischievous self casted a Silence spell on them as a joke. It did not go down too well, let me tell you. :bat:

You certainly knew who wore the pants in the Khalid and Jaheria relationship. In fact when you take Khlaid's armour off for the night before he goes to bed, he's wearing a dress. :-

2ywzght.jpg

Also Bruce, I would familiarise yourself with a movie called Tron. This is a great example of people in the real world not knowing there are romances and relationships going on in computer games. People who play these games in the real world are completely oblivious to the romance that's happening behind the scenes. You don't need it spelled out for you.

• Like 1

Oh wow, I was super-unhappy with every single post until you brought up Kevin Flynn. Even my User name is the isomorphic algorithms from Legacy. And don't even start with me about the efficacy or value of Legacy ... because two words always render any argument invalid ... Bruce Boxleitner.  :getlost:

All Stop. On Screen.

I have it on good authority that there was something going on between Minsc, Dynaheir and Boo. And the screams that were coming from their bedroom seems to confirm this. I also sent Imoen to spy on them one night using stealth where she hid in the shadows.  She reported back, white as a ghost something about Minsc lying on his back with his legs up in the air, Dynaheir holding Boo. and well something about gerbiling. we have confirmation of this at the start of BG2. I leave it up to you decide. The facts speak for itself.  

• Like 1

I have it on good authority that there was something going on between Minsc, Dynaheir and Boo. And the screams that were coming from their bedroom seems to confirm this. I also sent Imoen to spy on them one night using stealth where she hid in the shadows.  She reported back, white as a ghost something about Minsc lying on his back with his legs up in the air, Dynaheir holding Boo. and well something about gerbiling. we have confirmation of this at the start of BG2. I leave it up to you decide. The facts speak for itself.  

You're a pretty perverse individual and delusional. ;)

Uhhhh....

Minsc and Dynaheir were not romantically involved.

Whoever said anything about romance? Dynaheir is a witch...and she has needs, and Minsc is a physical specimen Why do you think she always saves her Charm spells at night? ...(it's because she wants to get laid)

Dude, the Friendly Arm gets more action than the Olympic Village.

Eldoth + Skie

Coran + Safana

Coran + Safana + all comers

Shar-Teel + Branwen

Xzar + Montalban

Jaheira getting really Nasty w Khalid. Abusive.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

Absolutely no where in their story is it even remotely implied. Quite the opposite really.

Of course not.

It was Boo and Dynaheir.

In fact, Boo has sex with every character in the BG saga. Including Irenicus, Firkraag, and Noober.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I'm not sure if this thread has become comedy gold or horribly scaring.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'm not sure if this thread has become comedy gold or horribly scaring.

Both at the same time.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Absolutely no where in their story is it even remotely implied. Quite the opposite really.

Of course not.It was Boo and Dynaheir.In fact, Boo has sex with every character in the BG saga. Including Irenicus, Firkraag, and Noober.

That's really warped KP.

I'm all for casual, meaningless humping...these adventurers need a release after mass slaughtering scores of kobolds and hobgoblins, but you are letting your imagination run to sick bastard territory. Nowhere was it even implied that Boo was so loose with his affections.

Back on topic:

I'm kinda miffed that there was a whole lot less fracking in BG's sequels than the originals. Where all the Harlots at in Athkatla? Baldur's Gate was brimming with them!

Aside from Anomen and Keldorn, my party was pretty much asexual. You really had to work at getting into Vicinia, Jaheira, and Aerie. Too needy, too much drama, not enough humping. Sometimes (well actually every night), you just want a good lay.

There better be plenty of brothels, or at least party members willing to put out, in PE. I'm glad at least they are getting rid of all the emotional baggage and neediness out of it. Good riddance.

Alpha Protocol got "romance" right. JB got his needs fulfilled and he didn't have to go through the ridiculous formality of a Badly written Jane Austenesque courtship ritual. (That's not a slam on Jane Austen - love, love her work). He only wants to get laid, and he got it.

You're a pretty perverse individual and delusional. ;)

Is he? is he really?

But Boo's question is of such a personal nature... well, the thought of it makes me blush right down to my buttocks!

Many thanks, Aerie! Soon, maybe, Boo can return his little-mind to thoughts of butt-kicking instead of butt-itching, and I for one shall be very relieved!

Boo is small and evasive, and there is ever so much of Minsc to search.

Boo must have his exercise, lest he bite us all in hard to reach places.

A den of stinking evil. Cover your nose Boo! We will leave no crevice untouched!

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Here you go, guys...

http://social.bioware.com/forums/

http://forum.bioware.com/

New forum apparently.

• Like 1

Of course not.It was Boo and Dynaheir.In fact, Boo has sex with every character in the BG saga. Including Irenicus, Firkraag, and Noober.

That's really warped KP.

I'm all for casual, meaningless humping...these adventurers need a release after mass slaughtering scores of kobolds and hobgoblins, but you are letting your imagination run to sick bastard territory. Nowhere was it even implied that Boo was so loose with his affections.

Back on topic:

I'm kinda miffed that there was a whole lot less fracking in BG's sequels than the originals. Where all the Harlots at in Athkatla? Baldur's Gate was brimming with them!

Aside from Anomen and Keldorn, my party was pretty much asexual. You really had to work at getting into Vicinia, Jaheira, and Aerie. Too needy, too much drama, not enough humping. Sometimes (well actually every night), you just want a good lay.

There better be plenty of brothels, or at least party members willing to put out, in PE. I'm glad at least they are getting rid of all the emotional baggage and neediness out of it. Good riddance.

Alpha Protocol got "romance" right. JB got his needs fulfilled and he didn't have to go through the ridiculous formality of a Badly written Jane Austenesque courtship ritual. (That's not a slam on Jane Austen - love, love her work). He only wants to get laid, and he got it.

I missed cries of "I'm a fine lookin strumpet ain't I" in BG2.

The best romance involves saying "I'll call you later" when walking out the door, then going down to the pub and drinking massive amounts of booze.

I missed cries of "I'm a fine lookin strumpet ain't I" in BG2.

"Would you like to take a look at my ditties?"

So many unfulfilled lyricists, so little time.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

PoE should have really awkward pick-up lines that fail badly.

"I'd like to get my hands on your mammary glands".

Where all the Harlots at in Athkatla? Baldur's Gate was brimming with them!

BG2 decided to take itself 'seriously'. The fracking was in the main questline. (Phaere). And, speaking of the underdark, the tavern there had harlots. And the backrooms of the copper coronet had some too.
  • Like 1