Godlike imagery and lore

I wanted to make a new thread about this because I believe this deserves a great bit of discussionand thought. I'm having some trouble with the godlike and although I don't have much information to work from, I wanted to talk a little about the godlike, their implications and the imagery used thus far to depict them.

So far, I understand that the forgotten realms had a genasi, tiefling, aasimar lore and races that were very distinctive in their appearance and that Josh wanted to emulate this or was at least inspired by it. Furthermore, as far as we know, the godlike in this world as "touched" by the "gods" and thus have been variably influenced in their appearance for it. A few questions arise:

1- Do all godlikes of the same god have similar appearances? Do all earth godlikes have doe-like ears or are there variations on the location in which visual changes occur? For example, are death godlikes all known to be death godlikes because they have crazy face alterations or can others be more subtle with only godlike eyes, etc.

2- how common are these godlike? are people being touched by godlikes left and right, up and down? if so then are they building godlike communities separate from other communities? why or why not? as the population of godlike increases and they become more common, and are no longer ostracized or they are rare which brings me to the next question...

3- what are the devs doing to ensure that the godlike are not this games version of "drow" because they're "so much cooler than all the other races!" it becomes extremely irritating when everyone wants to be the singular godlike that lives out in the open. Are we going to have 50 godlike drizzts in this game?

4- can godlike mate to produce another godlike? this is an issue because other races cannot mate and so humans and aumaua cannot produce a viable species. however, godlikes can be from any race, so what happens? do godlike associate with their races or do they associate with their godlike status?

5- why did the devs choose to go for such fantastical depictions of godlike, while keeping other races fairly humanoid? even the aumaua are fairly toned down compared to the death godlike. i get conflicting messages when i try to juxtapose the two. is this what is meant by "making the common fantastic and the fantastical common?"

a few thoughts to start off on. i'd like to hear the rest of what everyone has to say on this issue. thanks!

• Like 1

I'm guessing Godlikes can breed with anyone of their parent's race, so an Orlan Godlike can breed with Orlans etc.  What the child is I have no clue, depends on whether you can get lineages of Godlikes or not I guess.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I'd agree with Flintlock Jazz, breeding within the mortal parent species seems eminently more viable. I quite like the various Godlike we've seen so far, hopefully they're going to get even weirder, more outlandish and Del Toro-ish. I've no doubt they'll be a popular choice but personally unless one piques my interest more significantly i'll probably stick with one of the more mundane species.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Since they had three different female models in the update, I imagine there will be diverse headsets for each god-like type. I am curious about how the phenotypes are selected at character creation though. If this update is any indication, it appears that they are selected by an aspect of a portfolio, rather than the deity itself. That's on the presumption that a player will get to choose the nature of their godlike influence at character creation.

I am curious to see how they balance them out, hopefully as much by ability scores as through social complication. My bet is that two Godlike do not necessarily produce another godlike. If the lore is that they are selected souls specially created, then heredity doesn't seem to be the most important aspect of what makes a Godlike.

I really wish they had chosen a different name though. Something like "Anointed", "Hallowed".

• Like 2

Since they had three different female models in the update, I imagine there will be diverse headsets for each god-like type. I am curious about how the phenotypes are selected at character creation though. If this update is any indication, it appears that they are selected by an aspect of a portfolio, rather than the deity itself. That's on the presumption that a player will get to choose the nature of their godlike influence at character creation.

I am curious to see how they balance them out, hopefully as much by ability scores as through social complication. My bet is that two Godlike do not necessarily produce another godlike. If the lore is that they are selected souls specially created, then heredity doesn't seem to be the most important aspect of what makes a Godlike.

I really wish they had chosen a different name though. Something like "Anointed", "Hallowed".

Maybe the death godlikes can be called Guillermo Del Torons

• Like 4

I am curious to know if they are going to make Godlike for each God in the IP.

Sawyer's said that the paladin woman we've seen the portrait for is "widely believed" to be in the image of the goddess of birds, so guessing so. Doubt they're all playable though - seems more likely we'll get few "ethnicities" like there are for the mundane races.

Edited by coffeetable

I am curious to know if they are going to make Godlike for each God in the IP.

Sawyer's said that the paladin woman we've seen the portrait for is "widely believed" to be in the image of the goddess of birds, so guessing so. Doubt they're all playable though - seems more likely we'll get few "ethnicities" like there are for the mundane races.

Quite possible, I mean I don't think we even know the number of Gods in this game yet. I know of two or three for sure.

I didn't like the models for the death godlike. It didn't look very innovative to me. "Oh yeah it's got a giant piece of bone coming out of it's head where there eyes should be"

But I'm holding out hope that I like the visual representation of other godlike types.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I have mix feelings about god like. Death aspected godlike are very much alien. No apparent eyes, makes human uncomfortable. I remeber reading an article about making of Riply Scott alien and according to them, team consulted phsycologist about what visually and instinctivly makes people uncomfortable, like you just find disturbing. Apparently it is a face with tiny tiiiny eyes or even better without eyes or eye sockets, yet not nesceserlly blind. Something in our genetic coding hates that and loves puppy eyes things. So that particular visual is for that effect maybe.

I just thought that godlike or aspected would be more subtle visually. As for "vibe" they give is more in stats and dialog, than how we percive them...although whn I think about it now....onsidering human nature, both three looks have certain dread effect, but that character can be mother teresa, apparantly good but getting high on death. No not mother teresa, that was bad exempel. More like..well really good being, but hey it gives away certain very bad vibe. I dont know, I am confused by my own rant haha. It would be cool if lady dread was amazingly hot, beautifull human or orlan or aumaua, but her very presence gives ones chills so to speak. Becouse you sense her not with eyes, but soul and we could get that in dialogue.

Does anyone understand what i am trying to convey here? Am I the only one that thinks like this?

• Like 1

magic021.jpg

More like..well really good being, but hey it gives away certain very bad vibe. I dont know, I am confused by my own rant haha. It would be cool if lady dread was amazingly hot, beautifull human or orlan or aumaua, but her very presence gives ones chills so to speak. Becouse you sense her not with eyes, but soul and we could get that in dialogue.

Does anyone understand what i am trying to convey here? Am I the only one that thinks like this?

Are you trying to say that you wanted the Godlike to be more subtle, rather than overt in appearance? What you describe here is more of an instinctual force of presence rather than visible hereditary traits. I imagine that these qualities will be dramatized in game in descriptions and dialogue as you mentioned, but given the visual nature of video games and in intangible qualities of what you express...visual ques are very important. The death aspect are certainly more blatant than I was expecting, but I didn't expect them to appear mundane either.

Are you trying to say that you wanted the Godlike to be more subtle, rather than overt in appearance? What you describe here is more of an instinctual force of presence rather than visible hereditary traits. I imagine that these qualities will be dramatized in game in descriptions and dialogue as you mentioned, but given the visual nature of video games and in intangible qualities of what you express...visual ques are very important. The death aspect are certainly more blatant than I was expecting, but I didn't expect them to appear mundane either.

Yes, thats it...instinctual force. A presence personified not just for our eyes but for our characters to feel, sense and that can be somehow reflected on stats and those will be dramatized in game. I asumed there would be certain traits, but I assumed subtle like that portrait of beautifull black lady, with hair appearing to be almost featherlike. But considering Obsidian choice to make these traits so visible, I would not wonder if there would be progon like witchhunts or even lesser cults worshiping living entity. I am looking forward what stories they are cooking for us.

• Like 1

magic021.jpg

Yes, thats it...instinctual force. A presence personified not just for our eyes but for our characters to feel, sense and that can be somehow reflected on stats and those will be dramatized in game. I asumed there would be certain traits, but I assumed subtle like that portrait of beautifull black lady, with hair appearing to be almost featherlike. But considering Obsidian choice to make these traits so visible, I would not wonder if there would be progon like witchhunts or even lesser cults worshiping living entity. I am looking forward what stories they are cooking for us.

There's players who like the exotic or wierd, and those that like the more mundane. The god-like appear as if they can satisfy a range of tastes.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I get what you mean.  And while I actually like the physical appearance of the godlike we've seen so far, I also imagine it would be good to get a 'vibe' from them instead.

Either approach works for me, but I think Obsidian have gone with the 'you can't hide this heritage' way.  In PoE-world, the godlike have a special place in society (sometimes revered, sometimes despised, maybe sometimes feared or even pitied) so they wanted something more obvious.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

I think one thing some people may not be considering when reacting to the godlike with "Oh dear! They're downright shocking to look at! Wouldn't everyone just try to kill them?!" sentiments is that... the people in the world of Eternity live with them. We don't.

Sure, there are going to be people who think they're cursed or bad and should be avoided, etc. Probably even people who want to kill them. But, it's not like a woman in the world's going to give birth to a girl with feathers mixed in with her hair, and just smash the baby with a hammer. They're people, and they've been around for a while. They didn't just land in a spaceship and present themselves to the people of Eternitonia (placeholder world name).

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I think one thing some people may not be considering when reacting to the godlike with "Oh dear! They're downright shocking to look at! Wouldn't everyone just try to kill them?!" sentiments is that... the people in the world of Eternity live with them. We don't.

Sure, there are going to be people who think they're cursed or bad and should be avoided, etc. Probably even people who want to kill them. But, it's not like a woman in the world's going to give birth to a girl with feathers mixed in with her hair, and just smash the baby with a hammer. They're people, and they've been around for a while. They didn't just land in a spaceship and present themselves to the people of Eternitonia (placeholder world name).

That is very true, you are right...but fantasy worlds not only mirror our in pure estetical physical appereance. Like we compare cultures from PoE to different eras from our own and what implication that may have, so it plausable to assume the worst.

Albino kids in some african countries are being killed, belived they are cursed, bring bad luck, their body parts are used in magical rituals, etc...some woman in hindu parts of india die evry year in isloation from exsaution and exposure to natural elements becouse menstrual cycle is considered unclean, touch from one may bring bad luck and even death. Just some examples, it is easy to google for more. That happens even TODAY...I think it is very plausable this might also be case in PoE world.

I am aware it can be that those entities are accepted and considered as blessing no matter their aspect and in PoW world they enjoy certain priviliges that come with their heredity. I really dont have clue and it will be fun to explore the setting. Imo it is possible we can also assume the worst.

magic021.jpg

Are all the Godlikes female?

Ladies are what move units, IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN HA. HA. HA. SO VERY FUNNY.

I wouldn't have a problem with it. It's not like males can engage in parthenogenesis. Genetic diversity takes a backseat when simple survival is an issue. Spermatozoa are just highly-mobile ova. You're not much of a god if you can't create some sort of spawn spontaneously. DOHOHOHO

Edited by AGX-17

That is very true, you are right...but fantasy worlds not only mirror our in pure estetical physical appereance. Like we compare cultures from PoE to different eras from our own and what implication that may have, so it plausable to assume the worst.

Albino kids in some african countries are being killed, belived they are cursed, bring bad luck, their body parts are used in magical rituals, etc...some woman in hindu parts of india die evry year in isloation from exsaution and exposure to natural elements becouse menstrual cycle is considered unclean, touch from one may bring bad luck and even death. Just some examples, it is easy to google for more. That happens even TODAY...I think it is very plausable this might also be case in PoE world.

I am aware it can be that those entities are accepted and considered as blessing no matter their aspect and in PoW world they enjoy certain priviliges that come with their heredity. I really dont have clue and it will be fun to explore the setting. Imo it is possible we can also assume the worst.

You're forgetting that godlikes have godlike powers, magic, and blessings, unlike minorities in real world.

If I live in the world of Eternity, I wouldn't mess with people like death or fire godlikes.

Edited by exodiark
  • Like 1

You're forgetting that godlikes have godlike powers, magic, and blessings, unlike minorities in real world.

If I live in the world of Eternity, I wouldn't mess with people like death or fire godlikes.

Nah, not forgetting, acually I am counting on it. Apparantly PC will be able to choose godlike of certain aspect, and as Lephys said, its not like they appeared yeasterday. They have been part of world maybe as long there was a world.

But to explain what i was thinking, lets say those feathers on a paladin lady Pallegina contain some magical essence and are worth a lot on blackmarket or horns from green lady satyr godlike? Maybe avarage Joe of PoE is just like avarage Joe of Earth. Minding his own buisness, enjoys simple pleasures in life, paying taxes to local noble and 'prays' that

whatever greater powers exisist, ignores him. Having a dull and eventless life can be pretty satisfing.

Than there is lets say a uber wealthy guy, having erection issues and hears that blood from godlike, earth aspected and certain potion can give him uber boner or at least functioning one. So he pays aLOT for that blood. To make it more interesting blood needs to be fresh for best effect. Does character like that really care about where that blood comes from? Hey maybe even better, why not just keep one earth aspected close by and drain it for blood whn need arises. (I wanted to write hair first, but blood makes bigger impact)

Than there is death aspect. Your character comes over a party in morning hours, one of their members died just. Conviniently your char is there, giving bad vibe, instills chills in evruthing living. Maybe that dead person was a lover to party leader and in his/her grief he accuses you, that your very presence had to do something with it. Or let say necromancer needs more death aspected beings for his...death experiments.  So necro makes bargain with death aspected entity that hides it's appereance and shags alot around making offspring it can collect for necromancer. Maybe last part is too much, but necromancer being interested in death aspected godlike might be plausable.

I guess imagination is a limit. I am looking forward what devs have been cooking.

• Like 1

magic021.jpg