I have a question about the backgrounds for the game; 2d/3d?

It would be nice if someone can compile a list with all the technical and modding info available to us.

Assuming there's a proper editor at some point, or at least the settings they use available, it'll just transform your rendered scene into the proper format for you.

Neat. :) But what impressed me with the example they had was that it doesn't look like they're just adjusting the lighting. And that the shadows cast on objects, adjust downhill, that sort of thing. Same with the lighting, that it looks like it's cast into the models, instead of changing the lighting intensity. And that it gives off the impression that everything is in 2d, with neat hand-made and complex animation - while it behaves as if moving in 3d. And that's not trivial, if you don't actually have hyper-detailed 3d models running around in the environment.

Um. So criticism, I guess - don't think we've seen if moving objects (...dragons?) cast shadows on other moving objects like players and so on. :p

The injustice must end! Sign the petition and Free the Krug!

Neat. :) But what impressed me with the example they had was that it doesn't look like they're just adjusting the lighting. And that the shadows cast on objects, adjust downhill, that sort of thing. Same with the lighting, that it looks like it's cast into the models, instead of changing the lighting intensity. And that it gives off the impression that everything is in 2d, with neat hand-made and complex animation - while it behaves as if moving in 3d. And that's not trivial, if you don't actually have hyper-detailed 3d models running around in the environment.

Um. So criticism, I guess - don't think we've seen if moving objects (...dragons?) cast shadows on other moving objects like players and so on. :p

They do.

Pretty sure there won't be an editor, at least from Obsidian, they're not going to support modding. That doesn't mean the game won't be modded.

They've said that's yet to be decided, and any editor they've made is there's to distribute. I mean they could NOT distribute it, the SDK for Unity itself is fairly easy to distribute (there's even a free version!) so I'm pretty sure something could be worked out with Unity. Meaning it's basically up to Obsidian to deliver.

• 4 weeks later...

Spectacular find Sappho... I love when my "how it's done" curiosity is satisfied.

What I would be curious to know is just how much time and manpower were saved over what would have been a comparable 3D render of PoE.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

What I would be curious to know is just how much time and manpower were saved over what would have been a comparable 3D render of PoE.

Probably not much, as in the end, they still need the 3D geometry anyway.

I guess the only real difference is, that since the camera is fixed, only geometry that is visible from the isometric perspective matters. So you can basicly leave out everything that is behind a building or wall.

You also don't need to go into any detail you won't see from above anyway. And you don't have to waste time on writing a camera system. Also, you don't need to compromise scene complexity with game performance. So a house can easily have millions of polygons without any difference in FPS for the player.