Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Update #72: Death Godlike and Expected Ship Date

Art Creatures Areas Concept Art Druid Godlike Ondras Gift

• Please log in to reply
253 replies to this topic

ryukenden

ryukenden

Archwarrior of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

godlike beings are more animal/demon like rather than gods.

J.E. Sawyer

J.E. Sawyer

Project Director

• Developers+
  • 2995 posts

Josh, how many portraits, druid forms, godlike types, and areas are you expecting in terms of raw numbers at this point? I know this will likely change, but any thoughts on this?

I would rather not speculate on the numbers yet.  Sorry.

• ItinerantNomad likes this

Hassat Hunter

Hassat Hunter

Royal Bug Catcher of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5992 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

"I want to be a cat!"

Also, love the screens... giving me a nostalgic Baldur's Gate vibe... which is great.

The only downside to me are the rugs (rug in one, pelt in the other) in both screenshot looking... weird. Can't quite put my finger on the why, but they stand out... in the bad way.

Also not a big fan of the godlikes look, be it earth or death. Guess that wont be the race for me...

Hiro Protagonist II

Hiro Protagonist II

Ysbryd rhydd of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2582 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer

I'm not keen on the big flappy ears for the earth godlike. Maybe I'll get used to it after a while. I do like the death ones though.

• ronjs666 likes this

Ieo

Ieo

White Gazebo of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1410 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Thanks for the update.

I know I'm in the minority on the forums for NOT wanting additional stretch goals, but I always believed more would just add too much risk to a complex "public" project of this nature. There's already so much riding on this Kickstarter for Obsidian, who has to deal with specific reputation issues in other realms, besides the ridiculous expectations from those of us who backed it, and the ship date is already moved (which ultimately is fine, but again, that incurs more cost already in man-hours). I'm not familiar with the nitty-gritty of project management, but there's a crapton of stuff behind the scenes that 99% of backers simply aren't privy to for decisions like this, and I respect that. Let's look forward to a wondertastic core game. :)

Oh yeah, the Earth godlike. So cool. I think it'd be fine to introduce more godlike options in subsequent installments of the franchise, honestly.

Edit to add: I'm positive that Obsidian will let us use custom portraiture a la BG/IWD, so don't worry too much about how you like these.

Edited by Ieo, 11 February 2014 - 05:10 PM.

ryukenden

ryukenden

Archwarrior of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I thought the new stretch goals,... most people voted yes. So what isn't implemented? I really want that mega dungeon

• JFSOCC likes this

Ulquiorra

Ulquiorra

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 488 posts

"I want to be a cat!"

LOTR Version :

funny-cat-Gandalf-meme-fly-you-fools.jpg

MasterPrudent

MasterPrudent

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I thought the new stretch goals,... most people voted yes. So what isn't implemented? I really want that mega dungeon

The new stretch goals were new companions and wilderness areas: http://forums.obsidi...lderness-areas/

The mega dungeon is in. As Rose Gomez said in the update, "Rest assured that the team is working hard on completing the game and including our current stretch goals." Also it was mentioned as being under construction in the wave of interviews that came out with the teaser trailer.

Edited by MasterPrudent, 11 February 2014 - 05:21 PM.

Gumbercules

Gumbercules

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 234 posts

So seriously, what's the intended reaction to the Death Godlike? Should I be having the sort of reaction some people get when they see lotus seed pods? Because there really is something gross about them and I'm wondering if it's intentional or if the effect was supposed to be more subtle.

Dersu42

Dersu42

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

It looked like the only two additional stretch goals were more outdoor wilderness areas and more companions. It was stated several times that all of the original stretch goals from the kickstarter campaign were going to be completed. I had to double check and reread what was posted to make sure I understood them correctly.

So basically nothing has been taken away, just some extra last minute additions are no longer going to be pursued.

Oh hey look at that, someone beat me to the punch. Yeah what that guy said...

Edited by Dersu42, 11 February 2014 - 05:22 PM.

J.E. Sawyer

J.E. Sawyer

Project Director

• Developers+
  • 2995 posts

The mega-dungeon (Endless Paths of Od Nua) is already at alpha implementation.  Some of the levels will need a secondary art pass as well as a secondary content pass, but don't worry about its inclusion.  It's ready for revision and huge.

• Bryy, rjshae, IndiraLightfoot and 3 others like this

J.E. Sawyer

J.E. Sawyer

Project Director

• Developers+
  • 2995 posts

So seriously, what's the intended reaction to the Death Godlike? Should I be having the sort of reaction some people get when they see lotus seed pods? Because there really is something gross about them and I'm wondering if it's intentional or if the effect was supposed to be more subtle.

It's intentional.  Nature godlike are among the more "subtle" and they're not even that subtle (as the portraits should suggest).  Even Pallegina really doesn't look particularly normal; her afro is hiding a lot more feathers.

• Wombat, Suen, rjshae and 1 other like this

Micamo

Micamo

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 312 posts

Uhh, are those death godlikes supposed to not be able to see? It'd be pretty funny if this had mechanical implications: You roll up a death godlike and the entire screen goes black for the rest of the game.

I love what you're doing with the design: They're sufficiently freakish, but not in an ugly or unappealing way. I was afraid they'd just be Tieflings with a name change. Glad to see that's not the case, but I'd have to echo the concerns. One problem with playing monstrous PCs in tabletop games is that it's hard to strike an appropriate balance: Having consequences for your monstrous features (whether as extreme as getting chased out of towns by angry mobs or as subtle as not being able to buy and wear clothes that fit) too little makes it feel like you're just playing a reskinned human, but having it come up *too* often makes it feel like the sole thing that defines your character.

• seiya likes this

SunBroSolaire

SunBroSolaire

Custodian of The Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 288 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Is Pallegina also an Earth Godlike then? 

After much discussion and consideration of the poll on our forums we have decided not to pursue any additional stretch goals. Rest assured that the team is working hard on completing the game and including our current stretch goals.

Great, thank you guys. You've Done Kickstarter Right in my book, and continue to do so.

The concepts look awesome, as usual. Keep up the great work!

Edited by SunBroSolaire, 11 February 2014 - 05:46 PM.

curryinahurry

curryinahurry

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 618 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Nice Update.

Of the 3 Death Godlike presented, the one one the far right (at the beginning of the video) looks to be the most resolved.  the other two seem to be wearing helms and a bit too much out of of a Giger fan art collection.  They really need another pass for greater integration/ resolution.

Everything else looks quite good, although I would like to see the spirit animal forms be a bit more animal-istic and/or spirit-like/totemic in form and coloration.  Maybe this can be handled in animation, etc.

• IndiraLightfoot likes this

Yonjuro

Yonjuro

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 863 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Great update. The area art looks fantastic.

I really like the druid cat form too (though the legs might be a bit dog-like).

J.E. Sawyer

J.E. Sawyer

Project Director

• Developers+
  • 2995 posts

No, most people believe she is a godlike of Hylea, who is a goddess of birds and the sky.

• Wombat, rjshae, SunBroSolaire and 2 others like this

rdmcnz

rdmcnz

Logodaedalus of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Loving the atmosphere of the locations - especially the little details like the ivy growing over the shelves and the way the scrolls arrayed in the stand.

Really looking forward to creating a troop of would be heroes and delving into his world.

As powerful as the Godlikes may be, I am still keen on a human Chanter as my PC. I like the feeling that there are other beings with more power, it just means I have to dig deeper inside myself, to really focus on harnessing my soul power, and to gather and inspire some stalwart companions.

Just think, only a year more of these taunting teasing updates to go... gah!
(allowing run over time for last minute perfection checks)

Excellent work Obsidian!

MasterPrudent

MasterPrudent

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

No, most people believe she is a godlike of Hylea, who is a goddess of birds and the sky.

So the gods don't inform the blessed of their patron's identity? How rude.

• Doppelschwert likes this

Prometheus

Prometheus

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 260 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Can the player also be a godlike of hylea or is this subtype only for pallegina/npcs?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Art, Creatures, Areas, Concept Art, Druid, Godlike, Ondras Gift

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users