Update #72: Death Godlike and Expected Ship Date

And that's not why you were called sexist. You were called sexist because your comments about the female party members (especially the ones concerning the priest, who isn't hot enough for you to consider having her in the party) were sexist. Surprised?

That and getting upset at female characters roles in fictional media is sort of the epitome of sexism.

Edited by Bryy
  • Like 3

It look good the God-like but let as hear more about some important stuff like Stronghold from Tim Cain or Companions from anybody but Chris A. i know he his is good but from now on i will look on your hands so be good about PoE and make great game with great companion and good pacing.

We've gone ten pages without taking anyone's taking an obvious troll's toxic trolling seriously. That's an improvement. I still remember the "isometric is lame!" fiasco from a few months back.

As for the update, I'm still a fan of the Earth Godlike, their flappy ears remind me of the Wreath natives from the comic book Saga.

Not really a fan of the name of the Death Godlikes. With that appearance, I believe it would have made more sense to call them Darkness Godlikes.

Or be especially prized as being blessed by deity and chosen as prophets and oracles.

Death-kin for sure will get polar reactions but even in real life people "freakish" appearance like extreme piercing, face tattoo and branding have friends and own familly, kids. We don't know how openminded and supersticious world is in PoE.

Who knows maybe Obsidian will make a small faction who stands for rights of godlike to be more accepted in society.

• Like 1

These death godlikes are UGLY. Are they kill on sight in the game world. I don't see why anyone want to be a friend of one. Kind of imagine they would be treated like albinos in africa.

Like how people were asking BioWare if they could kill all the gay party members in DA2?

• Like 2

These death godlikes are UGLY. Are they kill on sight in the game world. I don't see why anyone want to be a friend of one. Kind of imagine they would be treated like albinos in africa.

Like how people were asking BioWare if they could kill all the gay party members in DA2?

Generally, gay people don't have any kind of intrinsic link with the embodiment of the concept of death. Nor do they have giant, symmetrical tumors growing on their foreheads.

x3Eygjo.gifKPBoUwC.gif

Hi,

This is my very first post ever, not just to this forum but to any forum (though I've been carefully reading all of your posts here right from the beginning). But as a passionate fan of the IE games and as a backer of PoE, I just had to finally make my first post in response to update #72 because of my deep disappointment that we won't be getting more wilderness exploration areas. For me, dungeon exploration is a painful chore, cities are ok/fine, wilderness areas are awesome. That is why for me it is BG1 (not BG2) that is the greatest crpg of all time. And this is supposed to be a spiritual successor to all the IE games and not just to BG2. Having lots of wilderness exploration in the game should not even be thought of as an "added stretch goal." It should be part of the original game concept - a given, not a special addon.

Anyway, what I hope for now is that exploration of areas will not be linear so that I can save what wilderness areas there are available for exploation to the end of the game. I would hate to have to finish all the wilderness areas early in the game and then only have cities, and especially dungeons left for the rest of the game. That would really kill my excitement.

• Like 2

I mean come on though... a female Dwarf...ok, i can handle that. What next? Orlan Cipher? Cool. Not the strongest exactly. Let's see who's up next... a female priest...ok, surely next will be a warrior? Oh, a female Paladin. How about the wizard? Oh, it's a health and safety inspector. Next one has to be a beast of a character! No, it's a bald, old, unarmed man. I mean, seriously? I realise they are looking to avoid obvious cliches, but don't you yhink just maybe it's been taken a touch too far?

You realize Eder's not female, right? And the bald old man is a friggin' monk. What do you expect? Zangief from Street Fighter? "I crush man's head between thigh like sparrow's egg!"

Honestly, it sounds like you're trying to overcompensate for something, and I don't even know what.

What, 3 out of 8 companions are female, and you're not only assuming the rest are gonna be female, but you're insisting that we have some male characters thrown in who are SO grizzled and Conan-ish that they make up for... what... Sagani's dainty princess look? Cadegund's pretty pretty dress that just so happens to look like plate mail, and her bubble gun that just so happens to look like a friggin' rifle?

Yeah... man, can we get some testosterone in here? I think our female companions may get a touch of the vapors, and faint at any second. :huh:

• Like 6

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Generally, gay people don't have any kind of intrinsic link with the embodiment of the concept of death. Nor do they have giant, symmetrical tumors growing on their foreheads.

Even without that the Death godlike all should be killed.

Edited by LadyCrimson
Edited for content clarification, by request.

Even without that they all should be killed.

Obvious troll is obvious.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Hi,

This is my very first post ever, not just to this forum but to any forum (though I've been carefully reading all of your posts here right from the beginning). But as a passionate fan of the IE games and as a backer of PoE, I just had to finally make my first post in response to update #72 because of my deep disappointment that we won't be getting more wilderness exploration areas. For me, dungeon exploration is a painful chore, cities are ok/fine, wilderness areas are awesome. That is why for me it is BG1 (not BG2) that is the greatest crpg of all time. And this is supposed to be a spiritual successor to all the IE games and not just to BG2. Having lots of wilderness exploration in the game should not even be thought of as an "added stretch goal." It should be part of the original game concept - a given, not a special addon.

Anyway, what I hope for now is that exploration of areas will not be linear so that I can save what wilderness areas there are available for exploation to the end of the game. I would hate to have to finish all the wilderness areas early in the game and then only have cities, and especially dungeons left for the rest of the game. That would really kill my excitement.

I definitely feel the same. I love the openness of BG1, and I definitely prefer it to 2. That said BG2 almost made up for it with character interactions and better pacing, but not quite. I also love low level D&D more than high level so that bias is probably playing a part on my feelings as well.

I just hope the game is successful enough that the sequel and Xpacs get more wilderness.

• Like 3

I mean come on though... a female Dwarf...ok, i can handle that. What next? Orlan Cipher? Cool. Not the strongest exactly. Let's see who's up next... a female priest...ok, surely next will be a warrior? Oh, a female Paladin. How about the wizard? Oh, it's a health and safety inspector. Next one has to be a beast of a character! No, it's a bald, old, unarmed man. I mean, seriously? I realise they are looking to avoid obvious cliches, but don't you yhink just maybe it's been taken a touch too far?

You realize Eder's not female, right? And the bald old man is a friggin' monk. What do you expect? Zangief from Street Fighter? "I crush man's head between thigh like sparrow's egg!"

Honestly, it sounds like you're trying to overcompensate for something, and I don't even know what.

What, 3 out of 8 companions are female, and you're not only assuming the rest are gonna be female, but you're insisting that we have some male characters thrown in who are SO grizzled and Conan-ish that they make up for... what... Sagani's dainty princess look? Cadegund's pretty pretty dress that just so happens to look like plate mail, and her bubble gun that just so happens to look like a friggin' rifle?

Yeah... man, can we get some testosterone in here? I think our female companions may get a touch of the vapors, and faint at any second. :huh:

LMMFAO. The vapors. Hehe.

In all seriousness, I like the companions, they all seem interesting. If I feel the need to have a companion to wack to I'll create one in the adventurer's hall. Or I'll play star trek online where I have 7 gorgoeus female Orion Slavegirl bridge officers, as well as a female trill and female romulan BOs for veriety.

On a less too much information note so far the three companions I'm most interested are the Monk, because he makes me think of David Cardeen from kung-fu the lengend continues on acid, the Godlike Paladin because the Vailian culture seems a cool fusion between Italian Renassince culture and 70's African American. I'm picturing her order as a cross between the papal guard and the black panthers. Cool. And lastly the Orlan fellow because I'm wondering how they handle social class vs. race issues. Like he's from a marginalized race, Orlans, but he's also a noble who comes from money. I've always felt that social class at the highest levels trumps race. In other words race matters more when it comes to how you are treated at poorer levels, then rich because society engrains in most people an instinctive deference to the wealthy, that transends race.

I mean come on though... a female Dwarf...ok, i can handle that. What next? Orlan Cipher? Cool. Not the strongest exactly. Let's see who's up next... a female priest...ok, surely next will be a warrior? Oh, a female Paladin. How about the wizard? Oh, it's a health and safety inspector. Next one has to be a beast of a character! No, it's a bald, old, unarmed man. I mean, seriously? I realise they are looking to avoid obvious cliches, but don't you yhink just maybe it's been taken a touch too far?

What do you expect? Zangief from Street Fighter? "I crush man's head between thigh like sparrow's egg!"

Hey.

Don't be a sheep.

Just because reality tells you that Russians are not cartoonishly large and stupid and fighting bears 24/7 doesn't mean that they aren't. Think for yourself.

• Like 3

Hey.

Don't be a sheep.

Just because reality tells you that Russians are not cartoonishly large and stupid and fighting bears 24/7 doesn't mean that they aren't. Think for yourself.

I have no doubt that some of them are. :)

Just some, though. The bears thing really narrows down the list. *sigh*

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Cool Class and Race combination (which is subjective to begin with) do not make interesting characters. I don't think I could care less about whether they are male or female either. Interesting characters make interesting characters. As long they are written well, and the characters are useful combatants within the group (unlike some rogues in BG O_o ), then anything else is irrelevant.

I could see myself liking any of the currently listed companions. I know of Aloth, Cadegund, Eder, Sagani, Pallegina, Forton, and the Orlan Cypher (Don't know if we have a name). I haven't heard of the last companion, but may have missed it or forgotten it. I am assuming it is a Amaua character seeing as that is the only race not represented by the current list.

I know of Aloth, Cadegund, Eder, Sagani, Pallegina, Forton, and the Orlan Cypher (Don't know if we have a name). I haven't heard of the last companion, but may have missed it or forgotten it. I am assuming it is a Amaua character seeing as that is the only race not represented by the current list.

I actually like half the names. Normally, I just roll my eyes at fantasy names because they try too hard.

Yeah, we *know* about the companions, but we don't know anything about them.

I'd like to keep it that way for the most part.  Knowing their names and classes is ok, but I don't want too much backstory or where they are in the gameworld, etc - that's something I want to discover as I play.

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

I know of Aloth, Cadegund, Eder, Sagani, Pallegina, Forton, and the Orlan Cypher (Don't know if we have a name). I haven't heard of the last companion, but may have missed it or forgotten it. I am assuming it is a Amaua character seeing as that is the only race not represented by the current list.

I actually like half the names. Normally, I just roll my eyes at fantasy names because they try too hard.

Emphatically seconded.  The names we know so far sound like names people could have.  Not a name someone thought would look really cool with a couple extra apostrophes.

• Like 3

Obvious troll is obvious.

*sudden idea for a PoE monster*

Huge, bright-red troll that likes to try and hide behind small, green bushes before jumping out and saying "boo."

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Yeah, we *know* about the companions, but we don't know anything about them.

I'd like to keep it that way for the most part.  Knowing their names and classes is ok, but I don't want too much backstory or where they are in the gameworld, etc - that's something I want to discover as I play.

I love how Darkest Dungeon is doing it.

We know all the classes, but it's actually us, the backers, who are making the individual Heroes.

Thread edited slightly, per request. Hopefully that helps with any earlier misunderstanding/concern. Sometimes it's helpful to reflect that what we text doesn't always convey intent very clearly.

Also seems like a good time for a reminder that hate-speech references and the like are not acceptable in these fora, so let's try to steer clear of anything that might lead into that direction.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts