Update #72: Death Godlike and Expected Ship Date

Does it me, or all this post-stretch goals sounds like blackmail? We have so much great ideas, but we will use them only if u give us more money - if no, oh well, u ofc will have all previous stuff, but all new shiny things will be gone.

Writers cost money. You can hire free ones like in the modding circles, but there's a reason most custom 'free' NPC's are utter crap...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

For what it's worth I'm glad that the developers decided not to pursue any more stretch goals.

As I have already said I think that this game has to be the inception of a new franchise. Obsidian has to use it as a test run to understand what they want to keep and what they want to change of the old Infinity Engine mechanics. Once done that they will be able to move on and take more risks with the next chapter, innovate more.

I like the idea of a dive in the past, but times have changed and making a Baldur'sGate/Planescape Torment/Icewind Dale remake can't be the ultimate goal. Right now those are old and worn out games, and their graphics are the lesser problem. I crave something new and innovative in the RPG genre, not just a ripoff of old stuff.

So: let's play Pillars of Eternity, it will be a blast, more areas would have changed nothing.

After that let's kickstart a second chapter, with more features, innovative mechanics, an RPG able to move away from the shadow of Infinity Engine Games.

• Like 1

On looking at this model, there's a disconnect for me with the bottom half of the model looking more like a dog than a cat. Especially with the feet and most of its feet off the ground. I was looking at some pictures on google with cats standing on their hind legs and their legs don't look like that. I made the below pic with the feet smaller.

2vcyrma.jpg

Oh yeah. I got carried away and couldn't help but put some boobs on my model. o:)

I support the change to the lower part of the model—cats should look like ... well, cats :)

The current wilderness area scope (specifically) is a little under BG2.  <>

Is this still the case?

I, too, am curious about this and I hope Josh may answer.

I love wilderness areas and I voted in favor of new stretch goals. I don't excessively mind that Obsidian chose not to pursue them as I trust them with their choices, but I sure hope Pillars of Eternity is going to have more wilderness areas than BGII!

As a side note, I love those interior designs. They are super-detailed, very reminiscent of the IE games, and with all eye-candy of modern 3D engines.

Portraits are also amazing—all portraits shown so far for the game got me drooling!

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

For what it's worth... I've seen "godlikes" (plural with an 's') tossed around, AND just-plain "godlike." I'm not sure which is the official spelling, but, I've gotta say, that "S" on the end REALLY makes the word awkward.

There are just certain words (usually descriptors used to describe people/members of a group) that sound/look REALLY wrong when you tack an "S" onto them:

-Forsakens.

-Relentlesses.

-Vigilants.

-etc.

Seems to me that "godlike" is one of them. Since it's kind of a fabricated noun, it just sounds really weird to be pluralized like that.

I realize this isn't the end of the world or anything, but, if it IS currently "godlikes" that's the official thing, then changing it wouldn't exactly be a monumental effort or anything. From a lore standpoint, I think it definitely benefits from the absence of the s. *shrug*

Just me two cents. I could be crazy.

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 5

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Awesome art :)

I wish people wouldn't use ship dates like "Winter 2014", the seasons are different in other parts of the world so dates like that mean nothing to those outside of America (well we can work it out but it's still anoying).

For what it's worth, we use dates like "4th quarter 2014", or 4Q14 for short.

I wish the window was the last three months of the year, but I think they are literally referring to the final ten days of 2014, after December 21, when winter officially begins. 

• Like 2

All Stop. On Screen.

Guest Matt Sheets

Ohhhh!

i forgot to ask, i hope the developers still see this.

I was expecting the option to upgrade your pledge be released with the new Kickstarter goals,

but since that won't happen, i am wondering if there is still a plan to implement this in the future, or will we only ever be able to get a higher tier if we pay the full price again?

We're still working on implementing the ability to upgrade orders through the Backer Portal.

• Like 5

Really interested to see more of the druids various forms so bring on that druid update.

I agree the final model looks a bit off if i had to put it into words i would say that the the concept art looks more like a cat where as in the final model some lion like proportions have appeared on the face.

I got the same impression - just figured it was a design decision to have it more 'Big-Cat' like so more battle focussed.  If they were going for more small-cat like then I'd agree the face should be smaller/differently propotioned (and then have different bonusses / weaknesses).

I liked Hiro's smaller-feet version (but as already suggested - it might just look right in iso-view)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Does it me, or all this post-stretch goals sounds like blackmail? We have so much great ideas, but we will use them only if u give us more money - if no, oh well, u ofc will have all previous stuff, but all new shiny things will be gone.

If u have some cool ideas just use them, dont just ask more money for every new NPC. And dont start with budget pls.

How exactly do you think things are made if not with money?

• Like 1

It's really disappointing there won't be new stretch goals.  (What a way to get a sense of what the promancers are feeling.)  Druid & chanter companions that have dialog would've been very welcome; the wiki on companions doesn't even mention a fighter.  Plus, BG2 had a dearth of wilderness.  Valorian says it has 5 wilderness areas, but it's not clear what that's counting.  There are the 3 that unlock when you exit the Underdark, plus a 4th if you count the UD exit area itself (which shouldn't count, really).  Maybe if you count the druid grove and the Umar temple ruins? 

Overall, good update tho.  The godlike are looking good & Ondra's Gift has so much open space it's crying out for a battle.

Ok, i'm still absolutely shattered to hear not much wilderness and no more companions. Devastating to hear people actually rejoicing this! Unbelievable, absolutely incomprehensible for me to be pleased with that. Mind boggling. If i could get my hands on you lot...

So genuine question, because so far i'm seriously worried there is not one character other than the Cipher who looks palatable to me. I don't want an all female-no romance party of nobody tough at all.

QUESTION: Will there be an Aumaua companion? If so, surely to Christ it will be male?! I'm having difficulty sleeping with the stress of it all...

I really hope so, otherwise you will have genuinely spoilt for me something which i've been waiting for for nearly twenty years with this utterly ridiculous obsession for political correctness. Women are great, i like them. But bloody hell, what's wrong with a huge, tough, ugly barstirred once in a while?

Ps On a positive note i love the look of the game, i just want at least one or two badass companions. Male Aumaua Barbarian and i'll be happy. Come on guys, don't let me down.

Edited by cornishr

Writers cost money. You can hire free ones like in the modding circles, but there's a reason most custom 'free' NPC's are utter crap...

Not just writers.

More areas, more characters, means more hours for every single team member. People need to get paid. Resources cost money. Time costs money. It's not as simple as 'we want to do this so we're going to'. 

Keep up the great work Obsidian! Environments are continuing to look great and simply amaze me at the talent on your team. I think having no more stretch goals as more content that can be saved potentially for a future expansion. At this point considering they have less than a year to finish the game for a projected late 2014 release only makes sense to not add in more content. Focus on what you have and make it the best it can be.

Oh and I am truly loving the druid cat form, druids are one of my favourite classes and to add shapeshifting makes it that much better.

Ok, i'm still absolutely shattered to hear not much wilderness and no more companions. Devastating to hear people actually rejoicing this! Unbelievable, absolutely incomprehensible for me to be pleased with that. Mind boggling. If i could get my hands on you lot...

Eh. I voted against additional stretch goals and would happily do so again. Frankly, I even think the Endless Paths is a bit silly.

Great story/characters, solid mechanics, and polish polish polish. That's a good game. Not content for the sake of content.

• Like 4

Not just writers.

More areas, more characters, means more hours for every single team member. People need to get paid. Resources cost money. Time costs money. It's not as simple as 'we want to do this so we're going to'. 

Ofc its all cost money. But i wonder how thousands other games got released without stretch goals and stuff like that. Its not like Obsidian is indie company with 1 employee thats live in his mom basement. I know some of the greatest film was able to release because director sold/take mortgage his house because he need money for his film. In this state Obsidian virtually risk nothing - even if they fail, they end up with top level salary for 2 years. All they need to do is not to fail hard so they wouldnt lose their reputation. All i say they need to start take some risk.

For what it's worth... I've seen "godlikes" (plural with an 's') tossed around, AND just-plain "godlike." I'm not sure which is the official spelling, but, I've gotta say, that "S" on the end REALLY makes the word awkward.

There are just certain words (usually descriptors used to describe people/members of a group) that sound/look REALLY wrong when you tack an "S" onto them:

-Forsakens.

-Relentlesses.

-Vigilants.

-etc.

Seems to me that "godlike" is one of them. Since it's kind of a fabricated noun, it just sounds really weird to be pluralized like that.

I realize this isn't the end of the world or anything, but, if it IS currently "godlikes" that's the official thing, then changing it wouldn't exactly be a monumental effort or anything. From a lore standpoint, I think it definitely benefits from the absence of the s. *shrug*

Technically, I would assume that the adjective is standing with an assumed collective noun after it, so it should be "godlike", with the understanding of "godlike (what-evers)". In this case the adjective is being used substantively, but it stays singular because the replacement is for neuter plural collective noun. 

ANYWAYS, I am glad about the decision not to pursue extra stretch goals. This seems to be a problem endemic to kickstarter projects (feature bloat creates unrealistic expectations which further pushes back release dates, with means the product the backer gets is less polished and so on and so forth).  

The release date change, as everyone has noted, was not a surprise, but I hope this isn't won't turn into a moving target like many other current kickstarters. While we all want a good product and finished and polished game, it is the height of naivety to automatically assume (as most people seem to think here) that more time necessarily means a better game. 

Edited by DCParry

-Forsakens.

-Relentlesses.

-Vigilants.

-etc.

There is one exception to this rule:

Gollum, as in "Sneaky little hobbitses"! :biggrin:

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Not just writers.

Ofc its all cost money. But i wonder how thousands other games got released without stretch goals and stuff like that. Its not like Obsidian is indie company with 1 employee thats live in his mom basement. I know some of the greatest film was able to release because director sold/take mortgage his house because he need money for his film. In this state Obsidian virtually risk nothing - even if they fail, they end up with top level salary for 2 years. All they need to do is not to fail hard so they wouldnt lose their reputation. All i say they need to start take some risk.

I'm not going to speculate on Obsidian's financials, but this post is all kinds of ridiculous. You're upset because Obsidian chose not to risk their company on a specific subgenre of a genre that the industry has abandoned?

I don't know why I bother. Your very first post on the subject ended with "and the answer better not be 'because of budgetary reasons'".

Edited by Bryy
  • Like 3

You're upset because Obsidian chose not to risk their company on a specific subgenre of a genre that the industry has abandoned?

To say it simple - yes, upset that Obsidian dont wanna take ANY risk, for a subgenre that easily gather 4 mil. before they even start to produce, and how this will end up on final quality of the game.

You're upset because Obsidian chose not to risk their company on a specific subgenre of a genre that the industry has abandoned?

To say it simple - yes, upset that Obsidian dont wanna take ANY risk, for a subgenre that easily gather 4 mil. before they even start to produce, and how this will end up on final quality of the game.

You're making way too many assumptions that this will sell well or even would have been greenlit via publisher.

Ohhhh!

i forgot to ask, i hope the developers still see this.

I was expecting the option to upgrade your pledge be released with the new Kickstarter goals,

but since that won't happen, i am wondering if there is still a plan to implement this in the future, or will we only ever be able to get a higher tier if we pay the full price again?

We're still working on implementing the ability to upgrade orders through the Backer Portal.

Glad to hear it! I was frantically looking for this option just a few weeks back when the spending mood's hit me.

I really can't even begin to follow your mental process there...

On another note, I think people are focusing too much on the detail of the werecat model. Keep in mind that you will be looking at it from a cenital perspective, and from some distance. There are proportion issues that need to be addressed in order for it to look good that way.

Also, I am glad there are no more stretch goals, in my opinion the scope of the game is big enough as it is.

Edited by RabidRatMonkey