Update #72: Death Godlike and Expected Ship Date

The druid shapeshift is also pretty good, although at the moment it seems to lose something in the transition from concept art to model. I'm curious to know what abilities the cat form provides.

It's in the TSA rectal examination pose. Anything would look bad in that. If they manage to animate it with a touch of cat in the movement, it's gonna be pretty cool.

• Like 3

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Good job with interiors and the cat picture, you sould give those employees good old pat in the back. But make sure they understand it is from their hard work not some random sexual harasment, as we know you havent let them see day light after kickstart ended.

PS: remember to feed them with plenty of vitamins.

• Like 2

Yet another mind-blowing update! Thank you, Obsidian, for all your talent, hard work and dogged dedication!  :)

So, druids are primarily shape-shifters in this game. Interesting.

As for the cat druid WIP - love the concept sketch, hate the implementation.

1- Too much red and brightness in the 3d model, the concept sketch sort of seems covered in shadow which gives it a sort of eerie feeling that the 3d model lacks.

2- the texture used for the cat druid isn't good - it should match the concept more as that seems more "natural" than "military cameo"

3- The head is what really throws it off, it doesn't really fit the concept. The ears in the concept start more posteriorly with a shortner neck. the eyes are more deep set and lateral in the concept.

4- the arms and legs are more "dextrous" on the concept art. This is likely a limitation on polygons, but I would imagine you could rework this a little more to fit the concept without adding too many polys.

I think ItinerantNomad's concerns go beyond the problem of it being the default pose for a 3D model. I have to agree that there is room for improvement, and all of it, almost, has to do with making the cat look more animal, and less WoW, which the article in Eurogamer recently touches upon. Obsidian wants to achieve a more down-to-earth natural look, and not an exaggerated one. And so far this cat druid has been touched too hard by exaggeration.

Of the 3 Death Godlike presented, the one one the far right (at the beginning of the video) looks to be the most resolved.  the other two seem to be wearing helms and a bit too much out of of a Giger fan art collection.  They really need another pass for greater integration/ resolution.

Another sentence of tough love, based on the criticism from curryinahurry; please, consider integrating the chitin growths more into the head of the Death planetouched. Well, the dark tendrils are pretty cool, even if they come across fluffy hairs at certain angles in the video. Perhaps you can make them more subtle, like steaming tarmac on a hut sunny day?

The genasi in NWN2 were a few of my favourite CRPG races, so I really love the god-touched concept, and I have no problem with exaggeration per se. However, will it fit PE's over-all toned-down-fantasy approach?

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Our next update will be all about Pillars of Eternity lore by Eric Fenstermaker.

Fenstermaker, eh? Stop making glass and windows, make more PE.

Stretch Goals

After much discussion and consideration of the poll on our forums we have decided not to pursue any additional stretch goals. Rest assured that the team is working hard on completing the game and including our current stretch goals.

Great news! This means more focus on the game and more new stuff for expanions and/or future projects :)

These are just a few of the combinations that will be available to use for your character during the game.

Yes! :)

About winter 2k14 - that sounds promising. But better wait for a bit longer than whine about some issues that could come along due to a quick release. Also, today's update interiors and art are wonderful. Keep up the good work!

This is Messier-31 and I approve this update.

• Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Huh, splendid as always.

Those death godlikes gives so smuch to ponder about. Let me point just few that immediately comes to mind:

1) Are they blind?

2) Were they always blind? I'm assuming here they were born without those horn-like outgrowth, and loosed their sight in the process of maturation.

ad 2) If so, awesome, because that gives them just another reason to hate their heritage and may also lead to introduction of potentially agonizingly painful medical/shamanic treatment into the lore

3) But in case they were born that way, we can assume it was deadly to their mothers, which again goes to "reasons why I hate myself <whines>"

4) If they are indeed blind, then maybe they developed some sort of another godlike-based sense? Something similar to the feeling sense, but letting them distinguish and perceive the world via alive, dead, inanimate way?

So many delightful possibilities - omnomnom  :w00t:

Edited by milczyciel

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones." - Ross Scott

It's not that I'm lazy. I just don't care.

Huh, splendid as always.

Those death godlikes gives so smuch to ponder about. Let me point just few that immediately comes to mind:

1) Are they blind?

2) Were they always blind? I'm assuming here they were born without those horn-like outgrowth, and loosed their sight in the process of maturation.

ad 2) If so, awesome, because that gives them just another reason to hate their heritage and may also lead to introduction of potentially agonizingly painful medical/shamanic treatment into the lore

3) But in case they were born that way, we can assume it was deadly to their mothers, which again goes to "reasons why I hate myself <whines>"

4) If they are indeed blind, then maybe they developed some sort of another godlike-based sense? Something similar to the feeling sense, but letting them distinguish and perceive the world via alive, dead, inanimate way?

So many delightful possibilities - omnomnom  :w00t:

Maybe those death godlikes have their eyes on their hands or their wings.

70j977.jpg

• Like 2

Below you can see what the Cat form looks like when modeled and textured, rendered out of our engine.

pe-druid-form-cat-580.jpg

Druid Cat form in engine.

On looking at this model, there's a disconnect for me with the bottom half of the model looking more like a dog than a cat. Especially with the feet and most of its feet off the ground. I was looking at some pictures on google with cats standing on their hind legs and their legs don't look like that. I made the below pic with the feet smaller.

2vcyrma.jpg

Oh yeah. I got carried away and couldn't help but put some boobs on my model. o:)

• Like 2

Wow, death godlikes look awesome. Although their racial ability tempts me heavily to make mine a rogue instead of the paladin I originally planned to. Just how great a damage bonus are we talking about? Will it have any significance with the less smashy classes? (And are paladins going to be able to pick up flashy death-laser-of-heavens type talents or other heavy damage-dealing stuff at all?)

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

pe-druid-form-cat-concept-580.jpg

Druid Cat Form concept.

Below you can see what the Cat form looks like when modeled and textured, rendered out of our engine.

pe-druid-form-cat-580.jpg

Dat cat.

I can respect the decision to not pursue stretch goals further. It's better to focus on the current scope, rather than risk scope creep. Obsidian, get the job done properly, without publisher pressure or cutting down on development time.

And everytime I see a new area screenshot it makes me drool and burn inside with anticipation. I hope the ambient sounds are as good as in the IE games, as it was really the combination of high-detail area art + realistic audio atmosphere that made these areas so immersive and enjoyable.

Don't forget the dynamic lighting, which was quite advanced for its time, and added a lot of atmosphere (especially to indoor areas).

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

I do not like those portraits :getlost:

Are Death Godlike  blind people ? It looks like some silly anime helmet.

And what about those floppy bunny ears on Earth Goldlike ? Furry are next ? :cat:

I'd really wish i could send positive vibes on everything you do, but,erh, not there, can't do, sry

Could we get some alternative art for those ? please ?

This is looking really good ;D A little sad about the news that no additional stretch goals will be pursued. Really curious about the Godlike. Thought that each "normal" race could have godlike but it seems that the godlike are a distinct race. So there won't be aumaua death godlikes, dwarf death godlikes or orlan death godlikes etc.

No more stretch goals? What's your reasoning behind that? I thought the polls showed most in favour.

personally I don't like the Death Godlike, but it looks like I'm alone in that.

And the druid cat... well, I can live with it.

I guess you can't please everyone all the time.

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I am so excite to see what other godlike characters look like. This was balanced by seeing Winter 2014 since I've been telling myself October for a good while. Was I wrong in thinking that was the date assigned originally? If it's been pushed back, that's fine. Just curious.

No more stretch goals? What's your reasoning behind that? I thought the polls showed most in favour.

personally I don't like the Death Godlike, but it looks like I'm alone in that.

And the druid cat... well, I can live with it.

I guess you can't please everyone all the time.

I think that they would have to cut adding any into the game once they've reached a certain point. Otherwise, the project might have started to become disjointed. Anyways, I'm personally ok with them closing it off since I would like to have this game in my hands asap.