Update #72: Death Godlike and Expected Ship Date

I thought the new stretch goals,... most people voted yes. So what isn't implemented? I really want that mega dungeon

The mega-dungeon (Endless Paths of Od Nua) is already at alpha implementation.  Some of the levels will need a secondary art pass as well as a secondary content pass, but don't worry about its inclusion.  It's ready for revision and huge.

• Like 6

So seriously, what's the intended reaction to the Death Godlike? Should I be having the sort of reaction some people get when they see lotus seed pods? Because there really is something gross about them and I'm wondering if it's intentional or if the effect was supposed to be more subtle.

It's intentional.  Nature godlike are among the more "subtle" and they're not even that subtle (as the portraits should suggest).  Even Pallegina really doesn't look particularly normal; her afro is hiding a lot more feathers.

• Like 4

Uhh, are those death godlikes supposed to not be able to see? It'd be pretty funny if this had mechanical implications: You roll up a death godlike and the entire screen goes black for the rest of the game.

I love what you're doing with the design: They're sufficiently freakish, but not in an ugly or unappealing way. I was afraid they'd just be Tieflings with a name change. Glad to see that's not the case, but I'd have to echo the concerns. One problem with playing monstrous PCs in tabletop games is that it's hard to strike an appropriate balance: Having consequences for your monstrous features (whether as extreme as getting chased out of towns by angry mobs or as subtle as not being able to buy and wear clothes that fit) too little makes it feel like you're just playing a reskinned human, but having it come up *too* often makes it feel like the sole thing that defines your character.

• Like 1

Is Pallegina also an Earth Godlike then? 

After much discussion and consideration of the poll on our forums we have decided not to pursue any additional stretch goals. Rest assured that the team is working hard on completing the game and including our current stretch goals.

Great, thank you guys. You've Done Kickstarter Right in my book, and continue to do so.

The concepts look awesome, as usual. Keep up the great work!

Edited by SunBroSolaire

Nice Update.

Of the 3 Death Godlike presented, the one one the far right (at the beginning of the video) looks to be the most resolved.  the other two seem to be wearing helms and a bit too much out of of a Giger fan art collection.  They really need another pass for greater integration/ resolution.

Everything else looks quite good, although I would like to see the spirit animal forms be a bit more animal-istic and/or spirit-like/totemic in form and coloration.  Maybe this can be handled in animation, etc.

• Like 1

Loving the atmosphere of the locations - especially the little details like the ivy growing over the shelves and the way the scrolls arrayed in the stand.

Really looking forward to creating a troop of would be heroes and delving into his world.

As powerful as the Godlikes may be, I am still keen on a human Chanter as my PC. I like the feeling that there are other beings with more power, it just means I have to dig deeper inside myself, to really focus on harnessing my soul power, and to gather and inspire some stalwart companions.

Just think, only a year more of these taunting teasing updates to go... gah!
(allowing run over time for last minute perfection checks)

Excellent work Obsidian!

Let the words of the Chanter envelop you, inspire you and enrich your soul.

The interiors and exteriors look very good imo. They really capture the old infinity style of super detailed graphics. On the other hand I think that the character models seem to contrast a bit with that (see trailer). They don't seem to be as detailed and good looking as the environemnts.

Everytime an update hits it's exactly what I thought was the right thing to do. I had been expecting Winter 2014 and no more stretch goals and that's exactly what you decided to do. Once again I'm very happy with how things are turning out.

And everytime I see a new area screenshot it makes me drool and burn inside with anticipation. I hope the ambient sounds are as good as in the IE games, as it was really the combination of high-detail area art + realistic audio atmosphere that made these areas so immersive and enjoyable.

Cannot. Wait.

You guys are awesome. Accept my virtual hug. 

• Like 1

Now this godlike discussion makes me want to have a "random god" option, which wont tell your god, you have to find out during the game, with appropriate unique dialogue.

"You're a godlike. What deity?"
"I... don't know"

"Oh my. That is rare. You should see the headmasters of the temples, maybe they can determine your heritage?"

• Like 6

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

There is only one form you guys simply must include for the druid, and that's a Wolf form. ;) If someone could confirm that's in, it would certainly make my werewolf-obsessed sister happy. She always tried to play the shapeshifter druid subclass in BG2, but it was poorly balanced, and she'd love to see a better one in PoE.

The godlike races are looking more and more interesting. They remind me heavily of the Genasi races in NWN2, which I always liked stylistically.

Edited by Saber-Scorpion
  • Like 3

I am very impressed with the models. I did not expect the godlike to have such...overt features. I wagered that their characteristics would be more subtle. Regardless, the models shown here are very striking, and I am very pleased with the overall art direction. Similar praises for the druid shapeshifting model. I wasn't optimistic about how they would look (being humanoid), but I'm rather fond of the one presented.

Well done!

Great stuff, the areas especially look nice to me - very intricate and detailed. I'm not sure beast-men druids are for me, but that's just my personal preferences. Godlike looks interesting, I'd guess they generally bring out xenophobia in people and clash often with normal society?

Love the update.  Keep them coming.  I am sad that the new stretch goals aren't happening, but the potential of a 2014 release date more than makes up for that.  The cat form for the Druid looks pretty amazing, and I am looking to hear more as I am sure I will have a Druid in an alternate play through.  The Godlike look pretty awesome.  I like both examples, and I am truly excited about the subtle differences in Portraits for our PCs.  I always preferred portraits, but their one issue was that they didn't give a lot of variation.  This seems to solve that.  We can still import portraits as well, correct?  Also, do we have a number of total types of Godlike?  Will there be a one to one the Planetouched in say NWN2?  So, Assimar and Tieflings with Air, Fire, Water, and Earth Genasi will all have a PoE equivalent?

Great update - environments look good as always, characters too.

I think the Cat-Druid model will look better once it's more naturally posed and animated - it's hard to judge these things from the default pose since it looks unnatural.

I'm loving the idea of the Druids more and more now - will probably be my first class.

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Absolutely gutted we can't choose from a full list of characters. I wish it wasn't suggested in the first place; it really will sully my enjoyment of the game now. Never will i have a female dwarf in my party, nor an old, bald monk or a wizard who resembles mr Bean. Female Paladin? Female Priest? Are you actually serious? Only in the world capital of politically correctness, California. It's like some sort of hideous PC who's who of the least badass adventuring party ever i'm sorry to say. Please, please God, let the Aumaua not also be a female! If the Aumaua (will there even be one?!!) is female as well, i just don't think i'll bother anymore.

Will their be an Aumaua companion? Will it also be female? Please, give me at least one tough companion who i actually want next to me in a fight with monsters!

And i didn't really enjoy Baldur's Gate 2 like i did Baldur's gate 1 : the fact there were basically no wilderness areas just made it seem more like a standard, linear dungeon crawl. Once there was nowhere new for me to explore, i quickly lost interest. At the beginning, i assumed there'd be plenty of wilderness. If you surveyed us lot to see who preferred Badur's Gate 1 to Icewind Dale, it would be virtually everybody. Loads of us consider exploration of new areas absolutely paramount.

If the reasoning not to integate new stretch goals is because there weren't too many votes, couldn't Obsidian have made a vote that was easier to find/access? I'd say almost 80% of the voteing in favour was an overwhelming success.

I can't believe, when the game is being released late anyway, so many people actually  voted "no" for free additional content and characters. Obsidian will collect the extra money anyway! You just voted : " no, less free content, less exploration, less characters, more profit for the developers". Such mind blowing lack of intellect the general public have.

Devastation.

Remember the key point here: If this game is a resounding success, you'll presumably be able to release more. If this one fails, you might not. Not enough wilderness is a massive issue to probably half of us. Not enough palatable companions is another massive issue to the other half of us. There is no need to actually introduce more stretch goals, but that doesn't prevent you guys (Obsidian) from sticking in more at your own discretion as a nice surprise :-)

Ps And no "romance". What's the point at all of a female companion character if you don't get the chance to pull her? Do you honestly think the spread of people who'll be playing this is 50/50 male/female? I'd better be able to sate my lust at a tavern/brothel somewhere, or i'll be...distressed.

Edited by cornishr
  • Like 3