No romances confirmed

Offering now... for $2 I will add the following to your PoE after release.

The line "1. I love you <fullname>. My love for you is lovelier than the loveliness of love. I want your dong in me so bad."

Selecting it will give the line "<fullname> and <charname> have hardcore sex.", then it will go back to the main conversation branch.

Get in now for the best romance plot made ever... and only this half year for a discount price!

That was so clever I forgot to laugh.

Edited by NanoPaladin
  • Like 1

The line "1. I love you <fullname>. My love for you is lovelier than the loveliness of love. I want your dong in me so bad."

Selecting it will give the line "<fullname> and <charname> have hardcore sex.", then it will go back to the main conversation branch.

Get in now for the best romance plot made ever... and only this half year for a discount price!

Will the screen fade to black? No deal unless the screen fades to black!

• Like 1

no-money-no-honey.jpg

5. If i recall right Pillar fo Eternity was suposed to take inspiration from BG2 and Torment mostly and only "dungeons" from Icewind dale, but from what i seen it will be mostly Icewind Dale with some Neverwinter Nights 2 elements ... weird.

Planescape Torment didn't have romances.

Edit: which says a lot. It's tangible proof that you can have untra-rich, ultra-deep, ultra-interesting NPCs, NPC dialogues, and NPC storytelling in a video game... without romances... without the "I love you's" and without the standard "yes love?" every time you click on your LI.

Edited by Stun

Good news.

Also..... FFS, write your own romance mods and be done with it, folks. This is one huge reason why there will be mod support: Player content. BE DONE WITH IT.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Seriously guys I am sorry but Bioware has made some great games.  The amount of hate they get lately just makes the internet look stupider than it normally is.  Of god the ME3 ending was bad, not that!  Actually no, it really wasn't that bad.  I am sorry some people didn't like it but I bet more people were mystified it was even an issue than were upset.  As for Dragon Age 2 it was still an okay game.  Was it great? No.  Was it even above average? No.  But was it a bad game?  Not really. 

Dragon Age: Inquisition is a Bioware Game.

If Dragon Age 2 is the worse game your company has ever made you are not doing bad.  Get over it Bioware haters your schtick is old.

Please note I am not singling out Monte Carlo here despite the quote.  His offenses on this front are few and far between and quite minor compared to many I have seen.  I am calling down the whole attitude of Bioware hate the fanboi on this forum have.

Yes it really was.

5. If i recall right Pillar fo Eternity was suposed to take inspiration from BG2 and Torment mostly and only "dungeons" from Icewind dale, but from what i seen it will be mostly Icewind Dale with some Neverwinter Nights 2 elements ... weird.

Edit: which says a lot. It's tangible proof that you can have untra-rich, ultra-deep, ultra-interesting NPCs, NPC dialogues, and NPC storytelling in a video game without romances... without the "I love you's" and without the standard "yes love?" every time you click on your LI.

Weeeell, it depends what you mean by romance. It didn't have a long multi-dialogue/mini quest line thing like BG2 but you could flirt with either Annah or Fall-From-Grace and in the former's case (dunno about the latter's) there was a dialogue line that resulted in a kiss.

Still, as you say, there's plenty of room for great companion interaction without romances. And if it's a choice of more dialogue related to romance or more dialogue related to individuals' reactions to the world at large I'll take the latter.

(Kind of OT but my one of my favourite companion quests was Veronica's in Fallout:NV. The PC can influence the outcome, or even leave the key choice up to Veronica, but they can't simply fix her problems. There's no romance involved but it's still very affecting.)

• Like 1

Hey guys, this is my first post on here. I really don't care about this debate, but man. Some of these posts are pure win. Both sides, gave some likes. Figure you guys deserve to know I was laughing pretty hard at some of the posts on here.(Especially a guy who posted a smug pic of Josh back on pg8 or so) Some were pro-romance some not, wiped away tears a few times there. Thanks for the 40mins of entertainment catching up on the thread.

On a more serious note, trust the developers guys. As previous posters said, Romance mods are surely inbound once the game is released anyway.

• Like 5

Good news.

Also..... FFS, write your own romance mods and be done with it, folks. This is one huge reason why there will be mod support: Player content. BE DONE WITH IT.

But... player content is always ****.

// believing is bleeding

Fair statement Junta, but I also fear for the overall quality of writing if Sawyer thinks not one writer on their staff is capable of writing a decent romance.  Which is basically what he just said in blunt terms.

Surely we've seen enough of their writing not to have to worry on that score?

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Frankly romances in games have almost never worked for me in games. They always seem little too off. It's always the same. You put "niceness coins" in until you get rewarded with sex.

• Like 4

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

kirottu: I know what you mean. In DAO, it always felt cheap and slightly weird to shower your companions with weird gifts. It was like a fetch quest mini-game for your companions, and then all od the sudden, after some questions about a companion's childhood or background and its grudges and grievances, a "time for sex"-bell rang loud and clear! :banghead:

P.S. Dragon Age Origins is still a darn good game, despite its shortcomings, like too distinct quest branches, a tedious horde of darkspawn and occasional off-romances. So, enough of the hatred. Bioware quickly realized that DA2 was a rushed mistake, and now they try to better themselves.

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Good news.

To be fair, you could say that about any aspect of the game. No paladin class? Well, just imagine you are playing a paladin.

No main story line? Just write one yourself.

No spells for your wizard? Just imagine you are slinging spells.

I'm not saying romances are a game breaking deal, but dismissing it like you did is just silly.

• Like 1

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

kirottu: I know what you mean. In DAO, it always felt cheap and slightly weird to shower your companions with weird gifts. It was like a fetch quest mini-game for your companions, and then all od the sudden, after some questions about a companion's childhood or background and its grudges and grievances, a "time for sex"-bell rang loud and clear! :banghead:

Very true. The gifts in DAO lost all meaning the way they were implemented.

On the other hand, the locket you buy for Jaheira in BG2 works very well within the story. So it can be done well if you don't water it down and make it into a too obvious mechanic towards the relationships.

• Like 2

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

Edit: which says a lot. It's tangible proof that you can have untra-rich, ultra-deep, ultra-interesting NPCs, NPC dialogues, and NPC storytelling in a video game without romances... without the "I love you's" and without the standard "yes love?" every time you click on your LI.

Weeeell, it depends what you mean by romance. It didn't have a long multi-dialogue/mini quest line thing like BG2 but you could flirt with either Annah or Fall-From-Grace and in the former's case (dunno about the latter's) there was a dialogue line that resulted in a kiss.

Still, as you say, there's plenty of room for great companion interaction without romances. And if it's a choice of more dialogue related to romance or more dialogue related to individuals' reactions to the world at large I'll take the latter.

(Kind of OT but my one of my favourite companion quests was Veronica's in Fallout:NV. The PC can influence the outcome, or even leave the key choice up to Veronica, but they can't simply fix her problems. There's no romance involved but it's still very affecting.)

If you count that trick Ravel pulled off, then you could -figuratively- kiss both of them. But if we are discussing "real deal" (mental shortcut) then yes, only Annah falls into that category.

This way or another, that counts as a romance in my book and even one of the better ones (if not the best in some regard) for that matter.

I'd even risk saying it's a proof that "CA can romance (into space)" if he is allowed to do it on his own pace and getting somehow convinced he's not writing a romance to begin with, just a meaningful, cliche breaking, tense interaction between characters. Seriously - it was so good, that I couldn't bring myself to flirt with Annah more than once! Only the most depraved ones could find amusement in the misery that brings to her, after the game ends (assuming she's alive). 

Likewise Fall From Grace - maybe even better, as IIRC she gives a promise that she'll scour Lower Planes to find and rescue Nameless One. But I can't find confirmation on that, so I may be wrong. And since I'm already here, wasn't it implied that she knew and lowed a former incarnation of NO? I also can't find any confirmation on that but something tells me it happened.

Doesn't matter - even if I'm wrong about FFG and even with all the obvious shortcomings and limitations, it's still great "romance" writing and "romance" execution for me, and hopefully not only me.

Nevertheless, I was and still am against romancing in PoE, if only because -and forgive me for being callously blunt- Obsidian* never created romance that was  good  engaging and appealing to me. Maybe it's because I'm devoid of feelings, maybe I have different issues that keep me away from enjoying it, but maybe, just maybe it's because all that time they tried to much to fit into this already established, stiff pattern, in the process striping it away from their own touch? I don't know, but I'm not willing to take a risk - at least this way I'm sure I won't be bothered by companions trying to get into my pants only because I like to play "mr goodie two shoes", a carebear that want's to bring at least some joy to the lives of even most Xan-ish ones. And don't even let me start on that god damned influence "love" must have over companion's ending. Way, way to often It seems that the only way for them to live their lives to the full goes through my pants! What the hell, I'm already THE savior of the known world, do I really have to go beyond and assume a role of Kim Jong-il incarnation?! Seriously, I'm not THAT self-centered.

To sum it up: I believe we're doing a disservice to ourselves here, by limiting our options of what is and what is not a romance to the Bioware's model and far less often but also mentioned jRPG cliches. I hope there are many different paths leading there still left intact.

* I do not count titles that good folks from Obsidian worked at before 2004 as "Obsidian game". There's to much outside influence to call anything beyond that purely "theirs"

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones." - Ross Scott

It's not that I'm lazy. I just don't care.

Hey guys, this is my first post on here. I really don't care about this debate, but man. Some of these posts are pure win. Both sides, gave some likes. Figure you guys deserve to know I was laughing pretty hard at some of the posts on here.(Especially a guy who posted a smug pic of Josh back on pg8 or so) Some were pro-romance some not, wiped away tears a few times there. Thanks for the 40mins of entertainment catching up on the thread.

On a more serious note, trust the developers guys. As previous posters said, Romance mods are surely inbound once the game is released anyway.

Thank you, Sir, for actually getting it.

I don't know where this generation of precious snowflakes comes from. Maybe they need their own circle-jerk forum where they can all agree on everything and compare their unicorn-themed sleepwear.

sonsofgygax.JPG

, it always felt cheap and slightly weird to shower your companions with weird gifts.

Nah I buy flowers and trinkets for prospective girlfriends all the time. Sometimes I take ladies our for dinner and buy them drinks and sometimes I get lucky. And I can promise you its not cheap, dating is expensive :-

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela