No romances confirmed

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-10-pillars-of-eternity-interview-off-cuts

Romances between you and fellow adventurers seem to be a de facto feature of role-playing games today. But Obsidian isn't doing them in Pillars of Eternity.

"We're not doing romances," said Sawyer, "but [the other characters] do have pretty detailed stories, they do have their own personal motivations and goals that sometimes align with yours and sometimes they don't. They interject into your conversations, they argue with you, they argue with each other."

Edited by Infinitron
  • Like 16

This is bad news and concerns me immensely. I am one of those that believes Romance adds to the realism and immersive aspect of your journey in an RPG. Especially around your interaction with party members. Also I don't understand why Obsidian wouldn't want to include something in PoE that the majority of fans want

But I still don't know if its official, if it is maybe we can get confirmation from someone from Obsidian that this is there view and nothings going to change it. I am still excited about PoE but I would be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed ;(

• Like 9

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

And Avellone was faster than Sawyer in spelling this out...

EDIT:

Cultist: What the heck is POI? Pillars of Inquisition? (Still time to correct your topic title, I think)

And what's "BUTHURT"? Well, we should be glad it wasn't buttheart.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

How utterly delicious, where is your god and your Waifu now promancers? Hahahahahaha.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 13

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I'm glad to hear that the NPCs are not only going to have detailed backstories and personal goals but may also interact/interfere with the main storyline, or at least that's how I read it.  The lack of romance just means that I don't have to decide to bone someone in order to get any interaction out of them, and opens up the possibilities for other more varied relationships.

• Like 17

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Three threads? Nah, there ain't an unusual level of emotional investment in this topic going on at all here.

I'm amazed at how quiet this topic (romance in general, not this particular thread) has been considering how bad it got at one point.  The romance 'issue' seems to have been pretty much dead for so long which at one point seemed impossible!

Edited by FlintlockJazz

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I see it this way:

I am a bit sad that there is no romance but I am not sad to not see any kind of romance that was presented to us

in various recent RPGs.

If Obsidian had added romances to PoE I would have liked to see a whole new approach to them altogether.

On the other hand I think excluding any kind of romance is fine too. There are enough games that already include is, and maybe it is

time to show that romance is not obligatory for a great RPG.

As such I know hope for some kind of bromance.

I'd like my mainchar being able to develop close friendships to his fellows.

And I'd like mainchar really be able to get to know his fellows without having to romance them in order to do so.

So yeah, for me it was a question of:

Either a complete different new approach to romances in PoE or none altogether.

I had hoped for the first, but the latter is fine with me as well.

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 11

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

I'm glad to hear that the NPCs are not only going to have detailed backstories and personal goals but may also interact/interfere with the main storyline, or at least that's how I read it.  The lack of romance just means that I don't have to decide to bone someone in order to get any interaction out of them, and opens up the possibilities for other more varied relationships.

That's what I'm hoping for:)

This is bad news and concerns me immensely. I am one of those that believes Romance adds to the realism and immersive aspect of your journey in an RPG. Especially around your interaction with party members. Also I don't understand why Obsidian wouldn't want to include something in PoE that the majority of fans want

But I still don't know if its official, if it is maybe we can get confirmation from someone from Obsidian that this is there view and nothings going to change it. I am still excited about PoE but I would be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed ;(

Seems like the majority of POE fans are ecstatic about this fantastic design decision. 

Seems like the majority of POE fans are ecstatic about this fantastic design decision. 

Nah, all the polls clearly showed that the majority of fans wanted some form of Romance. Don't mistake vociferous anti-romance zealots with what the majority of fans want.

But its not the end of the world, I'll get my Romance fix from DA:I and I'll still play and enjoy PoE :)

• Like 10

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Nah, all the polls clearly showed that the majority of fans wanted some form of Romance. Don't mistake vociferous anti-romance zealots with what the majority of fans want.

But its not the end of the world, I'll get my Romance fix from DA:I and I'll still play and enjoy PoE :)

Every time this comes up I shake my head.  The community on here isn't representative of the backer base for PoE.  Pretending otherwise is silly.

Honestly, you can't even really say that the polls, given the totally slapdash method in which they're conducted, are even representative of this community.

• Like 1

Every time this comes up I shake my head.  The community on here isn't representative of the backer base for PoE.  Pretending otherwise is silly.

Honestly, you can't even really say that the polls, given the totally slapdash method in which they're conducted, are even representative of this community.

Okay so without several polls on the official Obsidian website, like we had, how would you determine if fans of PoE want some sort of Romance...or if they are opposed to it? What would be your method if company wants to see if a particular component should be implemented in a game?

John Milton