Elder Scrolls Online

Hurlshort

Nah, launching at $15 before being forced to go F2P 6-12 months later is the norm. Even relatively modest MMOs still have the delusion that despite all the others failing, they'll be the special snowflake that breaks the trend - fellow upcoming MMO Wildstar is also charging $14.99/mo which seems supremely optimistic to me.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Personally, I prefer a subscription based model for any MMO I play. I think F2P with cash shops dumbs down the whole experience because the best looking gear, mounts, etc. is all purchasable through a virtual store and not obtainable through questing, dungeons or crafting. I'd rather pay $15 per month to have access to all that content through gameplay mechanics. 

• Like 2

^ It's interesting you say that. Hey, I hope TESO is a success and they do all the great content things they say they're gonna do with the money.

The developers have gone ahead and said they ain't scared of making a game a lot of people won't want to play, but instead want to make a game the people who love their games will want to pay for.

I dig that, and take Setzer's point. I just wonder if they are swimming against a (very) strong tide.

sonsofgygax.JPG

^ It's interesting you say that. Hey, I hope TESO is a success and they do all the great content things they say they're gonna do with the money.

The developers have gone ahead and said they ain't scared of making a game a lot of people won't want to play, but instead want to make a game the people who love their games will want to pay for.

I dig that, and take Setzer's point. I just wonder if they are swimming against a (very) strong tide.

If that was true, then Skyrim wouldn't have been as "dumbed down" as it was...this is coming from someone that likes the game, too!

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

• 3 weeks later...

Much to my surprise, this game is now live.  I kept thinking we had until Friday, but I had forgotten about the 5 day head start for most preorders.  I jumped in and created my Redguard named Taranto.  So far so good, they changed things a bit from the beta, namely that the whole world is opened up right away.  

• Like 1

Much to my surprise, this game is now live.  I kept thinking we had until Friday, but I had forgotten about the 5 day head start for most preorders.  I jumped in and created my Redguard named Taranto.  So far so good, they changed things a bit from the beta, namely that the whole world is opened up right away.  

Please keep us updated around your views

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I am happy that I didn't bought it when I was hyped up. Right now I don't have time to play anyway, and at least the abo money would just be wasted. This is also exactly why I don't like monthly payment fees... I am not playing every month.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Are homes not available for purchase?  Huh, I'd figure that would be a given, since they have them in the single play game.  I'd expect that to be an add-on down the road.

I suspect, that the problem with homes is this = you have only so little space for so very few players, and there would be thousands wanting them

However I do think that they should allow for guild houses, and only for a limited number, and those that achieve something significant for a given faction. (war effort recognition, wealth accumulation, etc.)

The regular housing is out of question. Did you see how small Daggerfall is in the game?

Doesn't mean everybody needs his own house. The way EverQuest 2 handled it worked well imho, have a few different houses (with different interiors) and add a "find" option to the door. If you just left click it you enter your own house (assuming you live there), if you right click it you can search for someone's name and enter their house (given appropriate permissions etc). Making players pay rent makes for a decent money sink on top.

That said, after playing a few betas I decided to pass this up, I don't have time for a MMO and I was seriously unimpressed by what I saw so far (which wasn't much as I lost interest before I left the tutorial island, but what I did see was just another standard MMO set in a TES setting. If it gets better "later" then "later" is imho, much too late), if it were F2P from the start I might have at least given it a chance as a (very) casual player but with a monthly sub: nope.

It's a bit crowded in the newbie zones, but I'm having a blast.  I really am enjoying the crafting, I hope that sticks for me.  

I'm struggling with the pick everything up disease of all ES games.  I have a lot of different types of grains right now.

Am I the only one playing this?  

Blacksmithing seems to be pretty hard to improve, but I guess that should be expected.  I'm having a blast exploring, just like with most ES games.

I played my first public dungeon and it was a lot of fun.  I got whooped by a deadra lord early on, but with some patience and a few more buddies I was able to finish him off my second go around.

I'm really happy with the amount of quests where you can pretty much avoid combat altogether.

• Like 1

Bethesda did an amazing job with the graphical range on this game.  On my beefy home PC it looks like Skyrim, and on my puny work laptop it looks like Daggerfall.  It runs smoothly on both too.

I'm starting to get the hang of the combat, it can be a bit frenetic and I've had some pretty tough fights so far.  It has been hard for me to see when to block and interrupt.  My level 10 tank still feels pretty powerful though, but I'm finally starting to use potions here and there. 

What's good about this MMO is that Bethesda can use it as a testcase for certain gameplay elements they consider putting in their singleplayer games.

Edited by Drudanae

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Am I the only one playing this?  

Blacksmithing seems to be pretty hard to improve, but I guess that should be expected.  I'm having a blast exploring, just like with most ES games.

I played my first public dungeon and it was a lot of fun.  I got whooped by a deadra lord early on, but with some patience and a few more buddies I was able to finish him off my second go around.

I'm really happy with the amount of quests where you can pretty much avoid combat altogether.

I've been playing it.  Any free time I get has gone into ESO this past week and I'm really enjoying it.  Sure, there are bugs, like random horse dismounting, phasing issues, mail issues but stuff like this is typical with MMO launches.  Playing on the Aldmeri Dominion alliance and been splitting time between a Bosmer/Nightblade and a Breton/Sorcerer.  Really digging both classes and I probably should pick one and stick with it but it's hard lol! 

I'm just now doing quests in Auridon and both my characters are approaching level 10.  Really like the pacing of the game too!  It's slower than most other MMO's I've played but I like that.  I've been spending a fair amount of time crafting and looting houses for books and items.  Inventory management can be tricky especially if you're a hoarder like I am.

I think I'm going to wait until I'm 50 before heading out into Cyrodiil.  Really looking forward to the PvP but I'd like to do well when I got out there.

• Like 1

Bethesda did an amazing job with the graphical range on this game.  On my beefy home PC it looks like Skyrim, and on my puny work laptop it looks like Daggerfall.  It runs smoothly on both too.

It wasn't made by Bethesda.

If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck   :rolleyes:

Feel free to use the name ZeniMax, nobody else does. 

• Like 1

Feel free to use the name ZeniMax, nobody else does.

That doesn't make it right, though. It *is* a different dev team with different people working on it. I mean, Bethesda isn't exactly a studio with multiple teams and a super-fast turnover, that name does mean something in terms of people.

Bethesda Softworks is the publisher of ESO.  The developer is Zenimax Online Studios, and it was established solely to create ESO.  They both operate under Zenimax Media.  They all operate closely with one another, both in terms of proximity and the fact they are sharing an IP.  

All of that is just a drawn out way of saying it is not a big deal to call them Bethesda or Zenimax.  There is a bigger difference between the two Bioware studios, and for simplicity sake I still just call them Bioware.  

• 2 weeks later...

Up to level 21.  The crafting system continues to impress, in fact I've struggled to stick to a couple disciplines and instead I'm pumping skill points into almost everything.  It's just too cool.  I've been making custom sets, upgrading them, and applying enchantments.  It's powerful.

The narrative is pretty solid as well, I'd put it a notch above everything since Morrowind.  I think it benefits from the hub system, it's more focused whereas previous ES games were so open that it often made it easy to lose track of any story elements.

The mage's guild basically continues the Shivering Isles story of the mad Daedric prince, and that was a very good choice.  It's been the highlight for me so far.   

Up to level 21.  The crafting system continues to impress, in fact I've struggled to stick to a couple disciplines and instead I'm pumping skill points into almost everything.  It's just too cool.  I've been making custom sets, upgrading them, and applying enchantments.  It's powerful.

The narrative is pretty solid as well, I'd put it a notch above everything since Morrowind.  I think it benefits from the hub system, it's more focused whereas previous ES games were so open that it often made it easy to lose track of any story elements.

The mage's guild basically continues the Shivering Isles story of the mad Daedric prince, and that was a very good choice.  It's been the highlight for me so far.   

As I mentioned I really appreciate your feedback on this MMO. I am reading very good things about this game from a number of different sources. Are you in a guild?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The game is okish and even fun to play, but it needs A LOT of balancing in terms of stamina vs magicka and a number of skills (some DKs skills, some sorc skills, vampire skillset) when it comes to PvP environment.

Outside of PVP how are you finding it, are there a number of high level raid options? So in other words what do you do once you have reached maximum level?

John Milton 

The game is okish and even fun to play, but it needs A LOT of balancing in terms of stamina vs magicka and a number of skills (some DKs skills, some sorc skills, vampire skillset) when it comes to PvP environment.

Outside of PVP how are you finding it, are there a number of high level raid options? So in other words what do you do once you have reached maximum level?

There is quite a few vet raid instances. Also this is coming up soonish ->

Don't get me wrong, it still has issues with PvE, especially when not in a dungeon, but dungeons are okish. PvP has a lot of potential but needs balancing, badly... the problem is, that if you balance for PvP, you will most likely ruin PvE balance, and the other way around... so far it's more focused on PvE balance, hence the PvP is a real mess, with some really super strong combinations.

Edited by Darkpriest
  • Like 1