We didn't say anything when they came for the smokers...

Walsingham

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-26014693

The World Health Organisation just tripped my (highly resistant) "governments are fascists and need to be opposed by violent revolution" alarm system. They want to regulate sugar and alcohol sales world wide, including pricing and availability.

The rationale for their actions seems to be:

- diet influences cancer rates

- cancer is bad

- we have to regulate those influences

My objection is that EVERYTHING influences cancer rates. The WHO does not have a free pass to regulate everything I do. They can completely, sincerely, and spectacularly F*** OFF.

• Like 7

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

As a further point, supposing the UN gets full compliance in its 'health drive' and we all fall into lockstep immediately.

Not one single person is going avoid dying. Every single person the UN wants to 'save' is still going to die. Of something else.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Wow, somehow 1984 seems more real every day. What did I tell you guys about healthcare when the US started the Obamacare BS; healthcare is the ultimate backstage pass into every aspect of our lives. Of course they want to control it. They want to control us and that is the means to the end. Everyone knows smoking, drinking, eating the wrong stuff is bad for you. Most folks do it in moderation, those who don't usually aren't surprised when bad stuff happens. But this initiative isn't about saving anyone. None of the things like this ever are.

Reading things like this make me want to buy more guns and more ammo. Of course the WHO and the American left wants to take those away too.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

This is funny because I was just checking into the thread to see if GD had said something about health insurance that would send me back the other way.

• Like 2

-Elwood Blues

This is funny because I was just checking into the thread to see if GD had said something about health insurance that would send me back the other way.

:lol:  Well? Did I?

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

This is what happens when you want to have your own cake and eat it too. Mounting costs derived from unhealthy practices and conditions endemic to developed societies coupled with population ageing are making healthcare and pension systems unsustainable. So you either do away completely with social benefits and adopt a free-for-all approach or curtail personal freedoms because abuse is risking viability of the system for everyone.

In reality, it's just the latest symptom of the general lack of civic virtue and hedonism.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Why is it that they always go after the public and never after the corporations that make these products? 

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-26014693

The World Health Organisation just tripped my (highly resistant) "governments are fascists and need to be opposed by violent revolution" alarm system. They want to regulate sugar and alcohol sales world wide, including pricing and availability.

The rationale for their actions seems to be:

- diet influences cancer rates

- cancer is bad

- we have to regulate those influences

My objection is that EVERYTHING influences cancer rates. The WHO does not have a free pass to regulate everything I do. They can completely, sincerely, and spectacularly F*** OFF.

Guys lets not get carried away by this link, it does make sense factually but we need to see it in the context of a per country perspective.

• Firstly the WHO will never be able to enforce some kind of global ban or reduction on alcohol and sugar, they can only advise countries.
  • Secondly there is such disparate implementations of good health practices throughout the world that we are never going to see a monolithic "one method" suits all. For example in certain countries in the Middle East you are able  smoke in hotel foyers
  • Finally there is a huge problem with obesity and unhealthy lifestyles in places like the UK and the USA where the governments of those countries do have the best interests of there citizens in mind. So I would make a point  that you can't really have  enough awareness campaigns of how people can improve there overall health because there are real health problems that have become so ubiquitous in many parts of the world. I also think that reducing your alcohol and sugar intake makes sense on a number of levels if you don't use a semblance of moderation
  • Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Why is it that they always go after the public and never after the corporations that make these products? 

Typical comment from a communist, attack the big business that's making our economies grow :p

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Because shut down the corporations and and lo and behold you have paved the way for a criminal cartel to provide the same good/service at a markedly increased price, without oversight, and most importantly, outside of the fiscal revenue system.

Not that the difference is too significant tbh...

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Criminal cartels? Are you suggesting sugar bootleggers will appear?

Man, that is a great idea for a cartoon.

Sure is. Until you realize that, as with most mafia-style organizations, they are involved in other types of not-so-innocuous activities such as sex trafficking, weapons smuggling, racketeering, etc. It's a jungle out there.

Wow! This gives the term "sugar daddy" a whole new meaning. I predict that games are next on that list. We'd better watch out!

Then they will ban fun altogether. Slowly degrading in front of a video screen, or taking a drink, or inhale a ****, are all minute increments of pleasurable suicide, just like la petite mort, i.e. sexual intercourse. My contention: It's not fun unless a little bit of you are dying while you are doing it.

Come to think of it, that's the definition of life itself.

Enter the government: Ban life!

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Criminal cartels? Are you suggesting sugar bootleggers will appear?

Man, that is a great idea for a cartoon.

Been there, done that. Judge Dredd covered the illegal smuggling and sale of that white powder decades ago.. ;)

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

"Finally there is a huge problem with obesity and unhealthy lifestyles in places like the UK and the USA where the governments of those countries do have the best interests of there citizens in mind. So I would make a point  that you can't really have  enough awareness campaigns of how people can improve there overall health because there are real health problems that have become so ubiquitous in many parts of the world. I also think that reducing your alcohol and sugar intake makes sense on a number of levels if you don't use a semblance of moderation"

No, they don't. Guard Dog is right. This has very little to do with protecting people. It's about power and control.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Finally there is a huge problem with obesity and unhealthy lifestyles in places like the UK and the USA where the governments of those countries do have the best interests of there citizens in mind. So I would make a point  that you can't really have  enough awareness campaigns of how people can improve there overall health because there are real health problems that have become so ubiquitous in many parts of the world. I also think that reducing your alcohol and sugar intake makes sense on a number of levels if you don't use a semblance of moderation"

No, they don't. Guard Dog is right. This has very little to do with protecting people. It's about power and control.

Can you explain how informing people that drinking soft drinks,that is bad for there health,  instead of water every day is somehow about power and control? Remember as I mentioned the WHO has no legal mandate in your country, they don't "control" anything. They can merely inform. And to be honest I can't see individual governments being able to enforce these prudent measures because of the resistance from people saying " governments are interfering in our constitutional right" ..like in the USA with the attempts to implement gun control. So if anything I would be concerned about powerful lobbyist groups and how they protect there own vested interests irrespective if a change benefits the common man :)

John Milton 

Where does the article go into details about regulation?

It reads more like an informational campaign to me.  

It advises a diet packed with vegetables, fruit, and wholegrains; cutting down on alcohol and red meat; and junking processed meat completely.

No duh.

• Like 2

"The extent to which we modify the availability of alcohol, the labelling of alcohol, the promotion of alcohol and the price of alcohol - those things should be on the agenda."

Is one, potentially.  And I guess the 'we must...''s have an undertone of regulation as well.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hmm, I can see some concern with that wording, but it is still remarkably vague.  Alcohol is already pretty heavily taxed, labelled and limited in the US, I don't see what they could feasibly change.  We aren't going back to prohibition anytime soon.

• Like 1

So how would they have dealt with the massive amounts of depressions that crop up after they take away peoples fun, I wonder? Ban being sad? As soon as I quit smoking, my mood went straight to hell, because literally my one vice was gone.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Yup, going after the smokers was just the beginning. It was a smoke-screen, if you may, for beaurocrats to control the lives of its citizens.

Soon people who like some dessert with their coffee have to eat them in a separate booth, in red packaging that is filled with various warning labels.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I blame Vegans.

• Like 4

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands