On another thread, a poster suggested the option of letting players rename classes.  I thought it might be interesting to see what custom names people would pick.

Warrior monks can be really interesting.  Tendai Buddhism had an army of warrior monks, and the idea of Buddhist monk fighters has an appealing paradoxical air.  But I can't shake the association of "monk" with "peaceful monastery dweller," so I'd rename them.  Perhaps "hermetist," since there's something to their mechanic that fits one definition, "impervious to external influence", though there's no real connection to hermeticism.  It doesn't fit perfectly, but "hermetist" is just a funny word. 

On that note, I'd work in "theurgist" too.  Maybe the clerics.

I'd probably change the names up on different playthroughs.

Fighter - Brawler ; fights

Wizard - Thaumaturge ; it's magic

Ranger - Archer ; does what it says on the tin

Rogue - Braggart ; ****y swaggering fighter

Paladin - Knight ; less of the god more of the skill

Priest - Votary ; worships something

Monk - Scourge ; of both himself and others

I'd rename barbarian into dreadnought, that's all I think I'd change. Maybe I'd change Paladin to Knight.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Well here is the problem...

The names are already fine.  The only one I could see people arguing over is Rogue but until someone comes with with a legitimately better choice (not easy) I would stick with it.

• Like 1

This is not an option that seems worth pursuing.

Ditto.

But here are some "kewl" suggestions you just might find interesting:

Fighter - Meatshield

Wizard - Fancypants

Ranger - Redneck

Barbarian - Schwarzenegger

Rogue - Sociopath

Paladin - Deep-seated-emotional-issues

Priest - Pedophile

Monk - Wuss

Cipher - Windows-Task-Manager

Chanter - Howler

Druid - Tree-huggin-hippie

Edited by Messier-31
  • Like 7

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

If you want to use a naming tool for comedic purposes, by all means go ahead. it's your game and you do it for your enjoyment.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

The names are already fine.

There's no disagreement here!  It's not a criticism of the established names at all (not even "monk", which obv they should use rather than my name for it).  It's just for personalization/variety.  Plus curiosity to see what other ppl associate w/ the classes.

Nor is the post a veiled request for the option in-game (bells-and-whistles stuff shouldn't preoccupy devs that much).  Surely though it'd be great to have the text files sufficiently editable/moddable that it'd be no trouble to change something so small.

Besides, a Dave class opens up the possibility of having the Dave Dave.

• Like 1

Fighter - Defender, Guardian, Shieldbearer, Punchbag.

Wizard - Animancer, Alchemist, Tim.

Ranger - Scout, Huntsman, Bounty Hunter, Ace Ventura.

Barbarian - Dervish, Dreadnought, Battlerager, Wimp.

Rogue - Assassin, Weaponmaster, Killer, Rouge.

Paladin - Crusader, Zealot, Templar, Torquemada.

Priest - Brother, Monk, Avowed, Son of a Preacher Man.

Monk - Scourge, Penitent, Flagellant, Sado Masochist.

Cipher - Soulblade, Mind Hunter, Soulslayer, Prince.

Chanter - Skald, Poet, Runemaster, Shakespeare.

Druid - Earthmight, Skinshifter, Forrestal, Vegan.

• Like 3

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Fighter - John Doe with armour and a weapon

Wizard - Pocket ball fondler - also called Pokémon player

Ranger - Runaway transsexual bride

Barbarian - Juicehead

Rogue - Inglourius basterd

Paladin - Your Average Psychopath Boss - "Follow me! Into the fray, death to all!"

Priest - Quack

Monk - Coprophagist - The ****, also called Port-a-John

Cipher - Me, myself and I - "I can't get out of this echo chamber of a soul prison. Help!"

Chanter - Dopehead - smoke and hum and sucks on smoked ham

Druid - Animal hoarder, embedded ASPCA-maniac

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

What's the point of re-inventing the wheel?

Shall we re-name other things while at it?

fire = burny thingy?

sword = stabber/slasher?

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!