You've defeated yourself. The original purpose of high heels, as stated by your own links, was to better grip stirrups while on horseback; PoE isn't a cavalry/mounted archery game. The context here is generic female armor, a woman running around in stilettos isn't going to survive long if it starts to rain and the field gets muddy.

It makes perfect sense for a bunch of prissy nobles with powdered wigs dandying about a gilded palace to wear high heels, but not someone of either sex who wants to go out and slog through any/all manner of terrain and survive deadly combat.

This isn't Kill la Kill, after all.

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 3

I want this game to reflect the game world in a realistic fashion, as it is a mature 18+ RPG. 
If their world has girls in modest clothing for various lore reason, sure - if it's the opposite, sure.

I don't want some unexplained bs.. :p

Blood and honor

I want this game to reflect the game world in a realistic fashion, as it is a mature 18+ RPG. 

If their world has girls in modest clothing for various lore reason, sure - if it's the opposite, sure.

Frankly, unexplained BS is better than writers having to twist themselves into knots with their heads up their asses to come up with "lore" to justify skimpy armor which we all know has always been for the sake of titillation, even if some of us aren't consciously aware of that fact.

• Like 2

Frankly, unexplained BS is better than writers having to twist themselves into knots with their heads up their asses to come up with "lore" to justify skimpy armor which we all know has always been for the sake of titillation, even if some of us aren't consciously aware of that fact.

You don't want them to do their job? How terrible! 

• Like 1

Blood and honor

You don't want them to do their job? How terrible!

Their job isn't "make up some tedious BS to justify content meant to extract money from the groinal regions of the 12-24 male demographic." If the purpose is fundamentally so shallow, it doesn't deserve effort on the part of competent writers.

• Like 4

I'm all ready to welcome our silver nippleguard succubus mistresses and their golden codpiece sexomancer underlings,

as long as their "armor" doesn't provide actual armor protection as such.

Maybe it's magically enhanced to give protection, but the overall protection is still the armor part less,

compared to a similar protections cast on an actual piece of armor.

(unless there's some world works this way rule of "the less actual armor, the better the magic protections stick")

Also, the users of maximum titillation armor/clothing should be the kinds of characters who would wear them.

A modest warrior maiden would be offended, preferring to cover their modesty as well as gain armor protection)

I don't mind, as long as they're reasonably believable.

Mail bikinis, for example, are a big no-no - not only is the entire midriff and neck exposed but wearing mail without a jack is going to HURT!!

Boob plate - somebody did a video on this to illustrate why this is a bad idea. Extend your arms out in front of you, as though you're holding a two-handed sword, then try to raise and lower it while keeping your arms at maximum reach. If you have big breasts, you won't be able to do it - especially if they're encased in metal. Women who do re-enactment wear the same cuirasses as men, not boob plate.

Low cut armour is also a bad idea - leaving the neck bare is a surefire way to get your throat cut.

Corset shaped cuirasses are even worse - the idea of a corset was to squeeze the diaphragm, which greatly restricted your breathing (hence the late 18th century image we have of women fainting a lot). Now, imagine that happening in a fight, where you need to be able to breathe a lot!

Magic: obviously that's going to be a factor, but I don't yet know how much magic there is in the game. If it's going to be like Baldur's Gate, chances are it'll be some time before you get your hands on a Ring of Protection - it's hardly as if those things are available for a few crowns at any local weapons dealer. Even so, all they really did was augment your protection a bit, so I'd be very surprised if a mail bikini plus a Ring of Protection will give you the same level of protection as a full harness. And if it does...give the character a full harness AND a Ring of Protection so that he/she has even better protection! ;) 

So, in general, sexy armour is fine for ceremonial purposes, but if people are going to fight, I'd rather they make it believable. With light armour, you can get away with a bit more, since the protection they offer is minimal, but for mail and plate, they really need to cover as much as possible to be effective.

As a side note (since this often comes up in female armour discussions), wearing skirts won't actually affect you that much - I've seen women fighting in bill lines wearing medieval dresses. As long as it's not too long, or too tight, it won't be as much of a problem as people tend to think.

• Like 1

Ludacris fools!

Reporting in to post that i want chainmail bikini!. Nope i'm not pervert. I'm an adult and have a partner in real life. There's nothing wrong to like seeing revealing armor. You have alot of those in big screen as well. Why any different in video games?

Simple answer: because i don't like it others shouldn't have it. similar to some conversative and religious close-minded people. it's a video game after all.

My advice to Obsidian: Please do your best and do the stuff you intended to do so and not be afraid to be condemned by naysayers.

Given that Eternity seems committed to delivering a believable realistic-except-as-noted fantasy setting, I don't think chainmail bikinis would fit, except possibly as dress armor (because, historically, people have worn some really strange and impractical dress armor). I have nothing against skimpy armor in the proper context (and applied to both genders, because while sexualization isn't sexism, inequality is), but I don't think this is that context.

That said, if Eternity wants to have mages in skimpy clothes that's fine, because mage clothes are just fashion, and if I was an all-power continent-destroying mage I'd wear whatever I felt like too. And if Eternity wants to have a barbarian tribe whose members don't wear armor or much at all in the way of clothing, that's also fine, because it makes sense that a barbarian tribe might not have developed practical armor. Just don't try and tell me that a culture that developed plate armor is going to use that technology to make bikinis.

You can make chain mail bikini sexy armor legit through adding a amazon faction. Warrior women that live in da jungle/woods/island whatever make their way to the mainland. And introduce their liberating sexy ceremonial fashion to the local woman folk by dominating the men through combat and mystical amazon magic that seduces men. You the player, can stop the evil amazon menace from spreading through plotting with the angry fat women that are mad all their men are stolen. Or you support the amazon cause and enslave the men too powerful to be seduced and slaying all the rest of the haters.

Reporting in to post that i want chainmail bikini!. Nope i'm not pervert. I'm an adult and have a partner in real life. There's nothing wrong to like seeing revealing armor.

False. There's something wrong with wanting revealing armor. There's nothing wrong with wanting revealing attire.

The problem arises specifically when you want the revealing stuff to be armor, especially when:

A) Non-armor will satiate your desire just fine, and

B) The world is full of magic that can produce protection in lieu of armor.

It's completely arbitrary to insist that armor both serve its function (of providing a layer of covering protection to the vulnerable "human" (humanoid) body AND somehow, paradoxically, not-cover the human body.

You might as well be like "I want a cat that's a dog." You can have both animals. There's no reason to destroy both simply to create an animal that ends up being neither.

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 4

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Reporting in to post that i want chainmail bikini!. Nope i'm not pervert. I'm an adult and have a partner in real life. There's nothing wrong to like seeing revealing armor.

False. There's something wrong with wanting revealing armor. There's nothing wrong with wanting revealing attire.

The problem arises specifically when you want the revealing stuff to be armor, especially when:

A) Non-armor will satiate your desire just fine, and

It's completely arbitrary to insist that armor both serve its function (of providing a layer of covering protection to the vulnerable "human" (humanoid) body AND somehow, paradoxically, not-cover the human body.

You might as well be like "I want a cat that's a dog." You can have both animals. There's no reason to destroy both simply to create an animal that ends up being neither.

This. While there's nothing inherently wrong with skimpy armour in its proper context, there is something wrong with:

1) skimpy armour that does the same job as normal armour (unless it's got shed-loads of magical enchantments on it), and

2) skimpy armour in an environment where wearing skimpy clothes is frowned upon (or one in which you'd freeze to death without appropriate coverings) - I don't know what the conventions are in PoE world but in medieval Europe, showing flesh was generally considered baaad, mkay? - especially for women. It's possible that they have no such conventions here, but there's still fashion and current trends to consider. No RPG in the world ever takes things like this into consideration - in RPG world, anything you want to wear is totally fine whatever the occasion, and it's perfectly acceptable to attend the royal palace wearing a blood stained jerkin and smelling of rotting corpses. :D

Ludacris fools!

You want a Lion plus a Tiger and hence you get a Liger XD. I still don't see anything wrong for me wanting revealing armor be it whether it make common sense or logic or whether it serves a purpose. As long as it looks awesome it already serve it's purpose. Well, for the sake of argument since it was mentioned:

It also makes perfect sense to have Magical Chainmail Bra of Utter Epicness+10 XD. See it's magical plus there's also abit of steel there. Lol

You want a Lion plus a Tiger and hence you get a Liger XD. I still don't see anything wrong for me wanting revealing armor be it whether it make common sense or logic or whether it serves a purpose. As long as it looks awesome it already serve it's purpose. Well, for the sake of argument since it was mentioned:

It also makes perfect sense to have Magical Chainmail Bra of Utter Epicness+10 XD. See it's magical plus there's also abit of steel there. Lol

Which makes armor redundant. It would make more sense to simply enchant clothing to be protective then.

A much less silly choice.

Edited by Agremont
  • Like 1

I would agree with this if, and only if, such items were rare, difficult to make, and highly costly.

If magical protective enchantments were too common, then, like Agremont said, there would be no need for armour...why bother spending all that time and effort making a harness when you can make a mail brassiere and then give it to an enchanter? In fact, why make it out of mail at all? If the magic is going to provide the bulk of the protection, why not just enchant a normal brassiere? Or a doublet, or a shirt, or a pair of shoes. Much easier to carry than a harness.

That's not to say that I'm not in favour of enchanted items being available - some of the best moments in Baldur's Gate was in defeating a particularly dangerous assassin then finding such goodies on his person. However, such items should be rare, highly costly, and difficult to find. An item of clothing with magical protection should be the exception, not the norm.

• Like 1

Ludacris fools!

Reporting in to post that i want chainmail bikini!. Nope i'm not pervert. I'm an adult and have a partner in real life. There's nothing wrong to like seeing revealing armor. You have alot of those in big screen as well. Why any different in video games?

That's like saying "I'm totally not racist, but why aren't the black people eating watermelon and drinking purple drank?" If you have to preface your "argument" with "I'm so not aroused by chainmail bikinis, because I only have eyes for my significant other [in case they're reading this post] but I think there should be chainmail bikinis, you know, for human rights and LGBT freedom and stuff." That is what you're tacitly inferring by comparing those of us with enough sense to realize it's absurd to bible-thumping Christian conservatives. What you want is simple objectification of women.

It's been pretty clear all along that Obsidian didn't intend to go the path you want only to buckle under the pressure of the oppressive backers demanding clean christian values in a game where christianity doesn't exist. Have you even bothered to read christian video game reviews on the internet? Comedy value aside, they see nearly all games as blasphemous attempts to mislead people away from their lord and savior.

I read a christian review of Okami which took it to be proselytizing Shinto, which is close to claiming Indians are trying to expand Hinduism even though it's a closed system in which only Hindu-born Indians can be Hindu.

Your accusation of ham-fisted conservative oppression is as flimsy as your claim that inclusion of chainmail bikinis is all about womens' lib and feminism.

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 1

You want a Lion plus a Tiger and hence you get a Liger XD. I still don't see anything wrong for me wanting revealing armor be it whether it make common sense or logic or whether it serves a purpose. As long as it looks awesome it already serve it's purpose.

You really, truly don't? You are honestly telling me that you don't comprehend how paradoxical scant armor is? Also, how does pretend armor lingerie look "awesome"er than any other lingerie? Obviously awesome looks are subjective, but, the reasons are not. If you think the characters look awesome because of exposed flesh, then the material covering what little flesh is covered isn't really of much consequence. And if you think the material itself looks awesome, then you probably want to see more of it, rather than a tiny sprinkle of it. No one sees a metal bracelet on a naked person and is like "Aww man! That armor is AWESOME looking! They're all decked out in that bracelet!"

So, which is it? Flesh, or armor? Which makes it awesome?

You've just quoted me on magic producing protection in lieu of armor, then subsequently requested that the source of the magical protection must, for some reason, be armor.

Again, if a character fights un-armored, and simply loves to wear chainmail because its her fashion statement, then so be it. However, that still doesn't make it armor, nor should the game world in any way pretend it's armor. There's absolutely no reason to, whatsoever. You want protection? Magic. You want protection without magic? Actual armor. It's remarkably simple, really.

Also, she probably wouldn't wear JUST chainmail, as it would be ridiculously painful. For the same reason that she wouldn't wear an inverted cactus bikini, she wouldn't wear strictly chainmail lingerie.

And finally, if the goal is to just maximize the smexy factor, then why have her wear anything at all? Or, just have her wear the body-surface-coverage equivalent of like... 10% of a bikini, straying no farther than the very edges of her netherbits, and call it a day? Boom. And she runs around in all kinds of weather like that, as if that's even remotely feasible or believable in a character.

The funny thing is, people like you usually feel like people like us are telling you you can't have sexy characters. That isn't the case at all. There are plenty of perfectly reasonable ways to have sexy characters who don't wear a lot of armor, but "just make them as naked as possible no matter what, and make sure the little they ARE wearing is made out of rigid metal, fashioned into the most uncomfortable garb possible!" is not one of them.

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

A lot of well constructed arguments everyone.  I want to applaud all of you, however, chainmail bikini for women and steel thongs for men will be in the game.  Hopefully they won't be cartoony and fake looking and the artists really get that tight & snug look down pat.

Does anyone know if there will be zoom in this game?  The trees and rivers look so beautiful.