edit

for the record I wrote "peni s" not sure why it was censored

You didn't use the politically correct "wee-wee"

Actually it's pen island, if you must know. 

I'm sorry, I was trying to impress you. I don't know what it means. I'll be honest...I don't think anyone knows what it means anymore. Scholars maintain that the translation was lost hundreds of years ago.

<cut> but you're confusing genitals with breasts and procreation with feeding.

While huge male genitalia (especially erect ones) can be a fertility symbol they would also not fit the nurturing theme Vanillaware's necromancers have.

A necromancer with a constantly erected huge phallus summoning undeads through the "life-giving" powers of said sexual organ would be quite amusing to play as, though I guess it would also be more controversial than a big breasted sorceress.

For the record: I've done my research in regard of Mr Oby and learned my lesson, so this is the last time I'm addressing the issue. But before that, I need to make something clear - I don't believe I confused anything. Quite opposite - I've been  faithful to the example provided by Obyknven:

<cut>All those women of Vanillaware can raise the dead. Let me state the obvious, the functional purpose of breast in mammals is to provide milk for offspring, they give life. George Kamitani uses this motif for his characters who give life to the dead.

George Kamitani is taking the traditional 'Fertility Goddes' motif of breasts <cut>

Italic and bold by author

As you can clearly see, I'm not the one who called upon "fertility" symbolism. I've merely adjusted to the current. 

And assuming I was indeed wrong - what other example could I provide, given that the genitalia are the only mutual theme for both male and female fertility deities? Overgrown hairy chest? That's obviously not the same league on "risen eyebrow" scale...

Not my fault really, that in our culture* women holds higher score in the "body parts considered to be taboo" contest.

Thank you and sorry for nagging. Now, did someone mentioned magical (soul imbued maybe) codpiece? Because that would be awesome ;)

* I know I'm bit lazy, selfish and narrow-minded here, but in terms of PoE that graph <link> defines what I mean by "our culture".

Edited by milczyciel
  • Like 1

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones." - Ross Scott

It's not that I'm lazy. I just don't care.

Yeah, it's just my personal preference/fantasy in which I would like, at least, a possible rogue build to be indirect and manipulative even in combat.  However, I have no intention of being obsessed by the notion and I agree that quite many things are inexplicable in RPG systems in general.

(emphasis mine) - I think this is in there by default - rogues are the 'heavy hitters' when they get their sneak attack damage - this is easiest done by having a fighter engage a target then having the rogue get in behind them (flanking) for a sneak attack (or having 2 other party members doing the flanking and then the rogue stabs at will (poor Will :( )).

Rogues also get their high(er) damage sneak attacks by attacking opponents who are 'prone' or 'hobbled' or some other such status effect that the rogue can inflict (so it's about fighting dirty rather than having massive arms to swing a club).

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Rogues also get their high(er) damage sneak attacks by attacking opponents who are 'prone' or 'hobbled' or some other such status effect that the rogue can inflict (so it's about fighting dirty rather than having massive arms to swing a club).

Plus, they get even greater bonuses to their sneak attack damage (the heaviness of their hitting) with greater numbers of supportive factors in play (prone, hobbled AND flanked guy takes more damage from Rogue than just-prone guy, for example). And since many of these factors are bestowable by not-just-Rogues, the Rogue who simply charges in to handle things directly is always going to be at a heavy-hittingness disadvantage in comparison to the Rogue who relies on the rest of the party setting up as many factors as possible in addition to the ones he himself is setting up, THEN taking advantage of them all (indirectly).

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

@Silent Winter

Thank you for the explanation but I know.  I simply don't like the rogue to do damage himself/herself, which feels like an assassin than a rogue to me.  Then again, it's just my personal fantasy and not a big deal-in the long run.  Rather, designers' patient effort of keeping each option valid will keep the fun last longer.  I've already talked about this in the update thread and I'm not willing to hijack this thread.

-Edit-

@ Lephys

I replied to your post at the thread just in case.

Edited by Wombat

@Silent Winter

Thank you for the explanation but I know.  I simply don't like the rogue to do damage himself/herself, which feels like an assassin than a rogue to me.

Fair enough (that you just don't like this style/design), but, in regard to assassin-ry, I urge you to consider that the way in which PoE Rogues do damage is simply about exploiting advantages, and doesn't necessarily have anything to do with sneakily dealing huge bursts of damage without being discovered. An assassin doesn't really take the time to engage someone in open conflict, create fortuitous circumstances, then boost the effectiveness of his own combat until victory is achieved. He's sort of all about some undetected deathstrokes. *shrug*. For what that's worth.

-Edit-

@ Lephys

I replied to your post at the thread just in case.

I replied with way more words than I should've. Sorry. I got carried away, 8P. Sorry for the confusion in there, too. It's kinda hard to comment on the dynamic between specific Rogue/party usage and the design of the Rogue's abilities/class without going into a great deal of detail with examples and such. I tried to do it in fewer words, and it was a little ambiguous.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I really think it depends on the context of the character wearing it.   

If she's a hardened veteran of war leading a patrol through brigand infested forests, I would hope for realistic functional armour.  

If we're talking about the egotistical young mage who thinks she is invincible and relies on her spells and enchantments for defence then go for the more artistic stuff.

• Like 1

I have never fully understood why people have to complain about female armor design. 

One side claims its not realistic and how would bikini plate defend someone. Who's to say she is not the Goddess of parrying? 

The other side complains that armor with no revealing features sucks. As dumb as it is some people play to see the skimpy mail.

It all boils down to the art style in use. The characters we are looking in PE will be fairly small until we look at them on the character and inventory screens so honestly there is little point in bickering for one type or the other. I think CDRP does it great though, cover-able armor that also gives a little fan service. 

At any rate we will mostly be judging things like the detailed appearance of PC females and followers from their portraits. Those are what I am interested in seeing.

• Like 1

I don't believe I confused anything.

As you can clearly see, I'm not the one who called upon "fertility" symbolism. I've merely adjusted to the current. 

And assuming I was indeed wrong - what other example could I provide, given that the genitalia are the only mutual theme for both male and female fertility deities? Overgrown hairy chest? That's obviously not the same league on "risen eyebrow" scale...

Genitals and female breasts are different fertility symbols, they're not equivalent.

You want the male equivalent? Here you go.

Not my fault really, that in our culture women holds higher score in the "body parts considered to be taboo" contest.

Well it's not Kamitami fault either that female breasts are both considered a symbol of motherhood and an erotic taboo. Males and females are quite different on a physical level, there's really no point in starting a contest about which sex can be sexualized more, especially when we are talking about a highly stylized and unrealistic artstyle.

Let's stick to armor instead of idiotic arguments trying to justify why a Japanese guy likes draw chicks with big breasts.

There's no much to discuss really. I think everyone have seen the picture of Cadegund: it wasn't sexualized at all to begin with and they swiftly corrected the "boobplate" after the community pointed it out. I think it's pretty easy to see what will be PoE armor art direction.

• Like 1

There's no much to discuss really. I think everyone have seen the picture of Cadegund: it wasn't sexualized at all to begin with and they swiftly corrected the "boobplate" after the community pointed it out. a few whiny internet white knights bleated like little girls about how cleavage was further evidence of a patriarchal conspiracy to keep women in servitude and were listened to by developers who should have known better.

Fixed.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

There's no much to discuss really. I think everyone have seen the picture of Cadegund: it wasn't sexualized at all to begin with and they swiftly corrected the "boobplate" after the community pointed it out. a few whiny internet white knights bleated like little girls about how cleavage was further evidence of a patriarchal conspiracy to keep women in servitude and were listened to by developers who should have known better.

Fixed.

Ahhh, such exquisite trolling.  Goes down a treat after dinner.  

• Like 2

I have never fully understood why people have to complain about female armor design. 

One side claims its not realistic and how would bikini plate defend someone. Who's to say she is not the Goddess of parrying? 

The other side complains that armor with no revealing features sucks. As dumb as it is some people play to see the skimpy mail.

It all boils down to the art style in use. The characters we are looking in PE will be fairly small until we look at them on the character and inventory screens so honestly there is little point in bickering for one type or the other. I think CDRP does it great though, cover-able armor that also gives a little fan service. 

At any rate we will mostly be judging things like the detailed appearance of PC females and followers from their portraits. Those are what I am interested in seeing.

I can't speak for anyone but myself really, but I'm pretty sure there are others who share my opinion. I'm a bit fatigued when it comes to the skimpier stuff, boobplates etc. There's been so much of it that I'm glad to see a different aproach in PoE. For me it's good to see female armor that looks like it belongs in the same world and plays by the same physics as male armor.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I'm okay with letting the designers design what they design and it'll either work or not.

But generally speaking more choices are better than less choices. My only problem would be if every character was forced to dress like Red Sonja, not that a player could choose to dress like Red Sonja in game.

But please let that sexy belly be properly scarred after the first few hits ;)

Ellesime isn't really waring armor though. I wouldn't say Melisan or Irenicus really do either.

Yeah, there's a pretty big difference between "I'm not even claiming to be physically armored, but I wear this metal wrestling-champion belt/codpiece / this metal mantle/bikini because I feel like it" and "Wait, we're going into battle? Hang on... I'm unprotected! *puts on single, impractical article of metal 'armor'* Okay! Now I'm ready, with my high natural AC and all, thanks to these nipple shields!"

• Like 2