Hi, first I hope someone from Obsidian reads me, this isn't a new complaint about "sexism" in video games designs, even if I'm female.

On the contrary, what I want to say to Obsidian is that I'm waiting impatiently for Pillars but I would be even happier if they put some classic "sexy" female armors in the game for the players that still like classic Fantasy like Frazetta, Clyde Caldwell, Julie Bell...( I don't mean necessarily bikini, but armors shaped for making female sprites pleasant to look at is something I look at before buying a game.) 

To me sexism is when in real life a woman doesn't have the same rights than a man, not making a video game sprite look nice. And about "realism" well I think it should be a choice, especially when in reality heavily covering armors aren't always the best way to win a battle. 

Anyway, hope to be read by you guys ! Your work on Pillars of Eternity look great !

• Like 8

I think that's a perfectly reasonable request, ocassionally I have the hankering to play a bare chested Berserker type, not many games cater to this desire either. My Nonek the Lbrarian dreams will have to remain unrequited.

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I'm okay with letting the designers design what they design and it'll either work or not.

But generally speaking more choices are better than less choices. My only problem would be if every character was forced to dress like Red Sonja, not that a player could choose to dress like Red Sonja in game.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Hi, first I hope someone from Obsidian reads me, this isn't a new complaint about "sexism" in video games designs, even if I'm female.

On the contrary, what I want to say to Obsidian is that I'm waiting impatiently for Pillars but I would be even happier if they put some classic "sexy" female armors in the game for the players that still like classic Fantasy like Frazetta, Clyde Caldwell, Julie Bell...( I don't mean necessarily bikini, but armors shaped for making female sprites pleasant to look at is something I look at before buying a game.) 

To me sexism is when in real life a woman doesn't have the same rights than a man, not making a video game sprite look nice. And about "realism" well I think it should be a choice, especially when in reality heavily covering armors aren't always the best way to win a battle. 

Anyway, hope to be read by you guys ! Your work on Pillars of Eternity look great !

besticando.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, sure, have visually such armor but also the appropriate penalties for wearing it hihihi ... It would acually be cool if going to armorer and making such extraordinary comission.

I'd expect that would be easier to do in a game that defines what area of the body got hit. When you're dealing with something more all-encompassing I'd imagine the abstraction might be difficult to handle on the extremes.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Yeah, sure, have visually such armor but also the appropriate penalties for wearing it hihihi ... It would acually be cool if going to armorer and making such extraordinary comission.

I'd expect that would be easier to do in a game that defines what area of the body got hit. When you're dealing with something more all-encompassing I'd imagine the abstraction might be difficult to handle on the extremes.

It doesn't need an individual body part targeting system for something so obvious to apply. The chances of hitting unprotected naked flesh on someone wearing a bikini are very high. You don't get to have 90 slashing, piercing and crushing DT when you're wearing a bikini.

You don't get to have 90 slashing, piercing and crushing DT when you're wearing a bikini.

Sure you do, magic. Just like a Ring of Protection (+whatever) magically confers protection to your entire body, not just that particular finger. People only use that excuse because they don't like boobplate.

• Like 8

You don't get to have 90 slashing, piercing and crushing DT when you're wearing a bikini.

Sure you do, magic. Just like a Ring of Protection (+whatever) magically confers protection to your entire body, not just that particular finger. People only use that excuse because they don't like boobplate.

Yep, It's no good harping on constantly about real life armour designs in a game that has rings of protection in it. (if you don't want any magic stuff then it's fair enough, I prefer low magic settings myself)

Disclaimer 1: I haven't read everything, I have no idea if the game has rings of protection in it.

Disclaimer 2: I don't actually care whether there is "sexy" armour or not, the designs we have seen look great to me.

Edited by motorizer

Yes. Having armor that is extremely unencumbering while still providing at least some (magical) deflection should be highly beneficial for somebody using fast-attack tactics. Not to mention being very distracting to some opponents. For verisimilitude, though, bikini armor should really have some definite weaknesses compared to full-body armor. Such as not providing much protection against elemental powers.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

. Such as not providing much protection against elemental powers.

Or the weather...

A metal bikini? In the frozen tundra?! You must be ele-MENTAL! 8)

• Like 3

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I'm on the fence about that topic. Personally - I grew tired of all those supermodels wearing full plate swimsuits (+15 AC). It's even worse when I want to share something IMO genuinely interesting about a game with my fiancee, but the first thing I have to explain are reasons for females running in their armored underwear. As you can imagine I'm no good at that.

On the other hand I really don't like to force others into thinking the way I do and it's not like I'm unable to play along with just another (over the top) sexy female npc/protagonist as in most cases it's just an... annoyance.

One thing is obvious though - there's no chance that every armour type will have two variations, just to cater both sides of the barricade. Also - Josh said some time ago, that those are not the issues of the isometric perspective and 'till I play the game I'll roll with him.

Aside for that, Monte Carlo's right - we're beating a dead horse here... so... I probably should keep all that to myself, huh?

I'm ashamed to admit, but I never considered that "ring of protection" argument. Now I feel pretty stupid  :facepalm:

Grab a "like" - you deserved one.

Edited by milczyciel
  • Like 4

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones." - Ross Scott

It's not that I'm lazy. I just don't care.

One of my old campaigns had a feared Barbarian tribe (the Holmgoth) going into battle painted in enchanted Woad tattoo's, they were fairly much the Frazetta archetype except that the tattoo's were symbiotic and grew as the Barbarians deeds did. The older individuals hadn't a clear spot of pink flesh left on their bodies, at which time the Woad began digging into their flesh and staining deeper until their bodies were poisoned and choked by the invading symbiote. A grizzly death followed, but it was custom to take a scrap of skin and pass it on to the next male relative, so that the cycle could begin again.

The Woad protected like a sturdy gambeson to begin with but would gradually gain abilities over time as the two became one, i've got to admit I shamelessly stole the idea from when Arnold sneaks into Thulsa Doom's Mountain of Power in Conan the Barbarian. As I grew to be more experienced in GMing I introduced downsides, such as lack of feeling, charisma penalties and a tendency to berserk when wounded, which grew more extreme as time went on.

• Like 9

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

One of my old campaigns had a feared Barbarian tribe (the Holmgoth) going into battle painted in enchanted Woad tattoo's, they were fairly much the Frazetta archetype except that the tattoo's were symbiotic and grew as the Barbarians deeds did. The older individuals hadn't a clear spot of pink flesh left on their bodies, at which time the Woad began digging into their flesh and staining deeper until their bodies were poisoned and choked by the invading symbiote. A grizzly death followed, but it was custom to take a scrap of skin and pass it on to the next male relative, so that the cycle could begin again.

Good work derailing this thread away from boobplate and into excellent creative territory   :thumbsup:

And of course, there's also the practical side of boobplate being really terrible armour design in general: http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/05/boob-plate-armor-would-kill-you 

• Like 1

Awesome concept Nonek. :thumbsup:

First time here in a long time, and your chomping red head is the first thing I see, Gfted.

So what's this whole Project Eternity thing about?

Edited by Arkan
  • Like 1

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Finally, a thread on this topic I completely agree with. Very well said, in real life I'm all for equal treatment and rights but let's not mix that with video games.

1zq6793.jpg