Sochi 2014

obyknven

I think it would be a bit ivory tower not to recognise that US politics really does tend towards two party rule. And that the system of candidate selection is borked. But ultimately the electorate is still capable of voting in whoever they want. At least at Congressional level.

What you DON'T get in the US is systematic persecution, imprisonment and murder of journalists and activists _in a way that has been officially noted by bodies like Human Rights Watch_.

• Like 3

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Is amazing how often I'm reading jabs about the ceremony not mentioning Stalin or WW2.   Anyway, is almost over, I did like the bit with the guys marching with the images projected on the flooring and the Swan lake piece.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Did Costas have a stroke or something? Or are his glasses just giving off some eyeball illusions.

Edit: Why is Obama on my screen (for a long time, too)? Where's the sports? Oh forget it, I'm going to go play a video game.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

All that money spent, a whole 40 billion, and they couldn't even get the five rings right.

But of course, if you're Russian, you would not have noticed, since you were actually watching footage of the rehearsal!

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/02/russian-tv-olympic-ring-cut-rehearsal/

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

I was just surprised when the IOC chair took a quick potshot at putins "anti-gays" law during his speech.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

To be honest, initially when reading about the law(I think there was more then one) that Russia passed to limit LGBT parades, I was ambivalent about it, first its not the only country with similar laws iirc there few such as this in the USA, but mostly because I am so sick of those parades, which at this point seem like call for attention, seeking universal recognition which no one have.

HOWEVER and that is a huge huge huge however, I remembered that it is Russia we are talking about and not where I grew up, where LGBT kids at school treated far better then any of the "usual suspect" for abuse, who get the blind eye from society.

For those who had similar misconceptions about this issue, in Russia. Here is a nice video on the issue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMTbFSJ_Tr4

Edited by Mor
  • Like 1

I was just surprised when the IOC chair took a quick potshot at putins "anti-gays" law during his speech.

I was surprised that they had tatu* performing and actually had to check it was them. Though I would have been more surprised if it was feline riot, of course.

*only really famous for girl on girl snogging, for those not au fait with 2000s (?) Russian pop.

I remember a Pride parade in London where some of the behaviour really gripped my merde, yeah it was pretty "look at us!"

I find it healthy to look around myself and look for straight people going "Look at us!" It's pretty much everywhere.

• Like 2

To be honest, initially when reading about the law(I think there was more then one) that Russia passed to limit LGBT parades, I was ambivalent about it, first its not the only country with similar laws iirc there few such as this in the USA, but mostly because I am so sick of those parades, which at this point seem like call for attention, seeking universal recognition which no one have.

HOWEVER and that is a huge huge huge however, I remembered that it is Russia we are talking about and not where I grew up, where LGBT kids at school treated far better then any of the "usual suspect" for abuse, who get the blind eye from society.

For those who had similar misconceptions about this issue, in Russia. Here is a nice video on the issue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMTbFSJ_Tr4

When i saw that "join us on Facebook and tell the world you stand with Russia's LGBT community" I laughed so har it still hurts.

MzpydUh.gif

Dat arm.  :blink:

If I didn't know better, I would have said what a nice Photoshop work. Also congrats to her for her 4th gold ! (ETA: Actually bad google work on my part, its much more then 4 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marit_Bjørgen)

I remember a Pride parade in London where some of the behaviour really gripped my merde, yeah it was pretty "look at us!"

I find it healthy to look around myself and look for straight people going "Look at us!" It's pretty much everywhere.

I find it healthy to remember that part of being normal means being treated like everyone else.. i.e. the last step that gay people need to take is to learn to accept criticism, otherwise they will never be normal in their own eyes.. Edited by Mor

To the same degree as the parades ? Exciting place you live, then.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

When i saw that "join us on Facebook and tell the world you stand with Russia's LGBT community" I laughed so har it still hurts.

That reminds me: you posted a few Tiger Lillies videos a while back. You obviously don't know much about them if you hate gays.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Once again, I'd ask how many of our members have ever stood up and been counted at the cost of being beaten senseless? If these chaps do it regularly wearing a dress then I'd rate that about par with the Scots Guards. They also make a bloody big deal out of it.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

When a group has been subjugated and persecuted for long stretches of history, you shouldn't expect them to calmly claim their rights of equality and fall in line.  They are going to make a big deal of it, as they should.

Ah, Mister Unicorn-dancing-on-a-Rainbow strikes again.

There were three guys giving each other enemas in public.

I don't care who you are, that's disgusting.

Edit: Gay men and women haven't been treated well, but we're hardly in 'Twelve Years a Slave' territory, are we?

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

I almost always wear jeans, including in the snow.  If it's super cold, I'll toss on some thermal underwear underneath.  I find they don't get too wet in the snow, to be honest, especially when compared to the rain.

Heh, here it's drilled into us not to do anything around snow in jeans.

Of course, we don't actually have snow sitting around populated areas much so you're far more likely to be tramping or skiing when encountering snow here.

I certainly wouldn't ski in jeans. If you *fall* into the snow, that's probably bad. I'd still wear ski pants or some sort of focused winter leggings in that case. But for just standing around or casual walking, jeans it is. Even if it's snowing heavily I probably won't get too wet (unless it's near zero).

I don't do much for winter sporting activities though, so I don't even have a pair of winter boots, let alone winter pants (that still fit.... >.>)