Russia II, this time it's something something

Walsingham

Old thread: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/63322-russia-tread/

~~

It takes a brave AND ingenious man to be uninterested in the Sochi winter Olympics.

The official poll asks "Are you looking forward to the Olympic games?"

There is no option to say 'no'. Every option bar one suggests pant-knotting enthusiasm.

However, "other" is polling an impressive 69%+  of  nearly 18000 votes, as of the time of this post.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm interested mostly because of the potential terrorist threat (the female suicide bombers, I wonder what they get when they get to heaven) but other than that I never liked winter sports.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I'm interested mostly because of the potential terrorist threat (the female suicide bombers, I wonder what they get when they get to heaven) but other than that I never liked winter sports.

You make an interesting point. If there were some way to get the suicide bombers onto skis, and onto the ski jump, maybe they could be usefully incorporated into the opening fireworks?

Edited by Walsingham
  • Like 3

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Eh, I'm unterested because Ski Jumping is awesome, also Biathlon rocks.  The terrorist threat is definitely scary, though.  Hopefully nothing happens.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The most corrupt Olympic games in history : http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/threats-sochi-olympics-whistleblower-drowned-blood/story?id=22270000

"you will be drowned in blood"

Unfortunately we ourselves are quickly approaching a similarly corrupt one party state (I say that having lived in both countries).

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

News here is on about how scary all the Russian security and terrorism threats are for Canadians planning to travel.  I'm guessing they have tanks on the streets?

Ah well, if they complete the games without an athlete dying, they'll be an improvement on Vancouver :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Speaking of Sochi and arse:

http://edition.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/world/2014/01/30/pkg-robertson-workers-claim-abuse.cnn.html

Humans Rights Watch alerts us that the transformation of Sochi from a small resort town to international Olympic host has been made possible by more than 70,000 workers, including tens of thousands of migrant workers from outside of Russia. Many of these migrant workers face exploitation – with employers failing to pay their wages, confiscating workers’ passports, and forcing them to toil up to 12 hours a day with only one day off each month – all in violation of Russian law.

It's a sad state of affairs. As much as I love watching the winter Olympics, it will be tough this time.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

http://edition.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/world/2014/01/30/pkg-robertson-workers-claim-abuse.cnn.html

Humans Rights Watch alerts us that the transformation of Sochi from a small resort town to international Olympic host has been made possible by more than 70,000 workers, including tens of thousands of migrant workers from outside of Russia. Many of these migrant workers face exploitation – with employers failing to pay their wages, confiscating workers’ passports, and forcing them to toil up to 12 hours a day with only one day off each month – all in violation of Russian law.

It's a sad state of affairs. As much as I love watching the winter Olympics, it will be tough this time.

It's capitalism, baby. Under capitalism rule poorfags must suffer for profit of Bourgeoisie.  If you don't like capitalism throw away everything from your home, because all trade goods in modern world has been created by opressed Asian child workers.

This is one of the points I wanted to raise. I will watch the Winter Olympics because there is a greater good here but I am generally just appalled with the Russian social conditions and how minority groups are treated and how Putin runs his government.

Some of the issues for me include

• the unacceptable rise and legislation of homophobia
  • the working conditions of migrant workers getting the Olympics ready
  • Russian disinterest in accepting American help with preventing any terrorist attacks. I know this is a point around pride but they should have no issue with accepting unconditional help that may prevent loss of life

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Can anyone tell me why my ass should be burned, apparently? Neither Russia nor the olympics have really registered on my radar for the last ten years. They're irrelevant to me.

No idea. What's wrong with your donkey?

:lol:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Can anyone tell me why my ass should be burned, apparently? Neither Russia nor the olympics have really registered on my radar for the last ten years. They're irrelevant to me.

No idea. What's wrong with your donkey?

Lol! :w00t:

Btw, Hiro what happened to your "II", you're registered like just 3 posts now? Was it just to skip that ending of your avatar name, or are you an entirely different Hiro who just happens to have been just  as generous at the PE KS?

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

It's funny how Sochi Olimpics burn US/European arses.

Probably you is not too European.

Meanwhile all Internets fullfilled by Western whiling about how bad and dangerous Russian Olimpic games are.  Probably this is related with terrorism. West backed terrorists can kidnap, behead, eat, rape US/EU citiezens  on these games  - this is so unappropriate ( when they do this to citiezens of Third world is ok, freedom figthers, democracy blah-blah ) .

http://youtu.be/5fg-8aGU9vU

Just remember big US drama after tiny Boston Marathon bombings.

I see no reason to treat illegal immigrants differently. They are criminals and have no rights at all, ergo - such treatment could be seen as a fitting punishment.

the unacceptable rise and legislation of homophobia

Should Olympics be hosted in Jerusalem or Mecca, would you demand that people should demonstratively eat pork to support food equality? Would you bring pet pigs with you to protest against animal descrimination?

MzpydUh.gif

I see no reason to treat illegal immigrants differently. They are criminals and have no rights at all, ergo - such treatment could be seen as a fitting punishment.

the unacceptable rise and legislation of homophobia

Should Olympics be hosted in Jerusalem or Mecca, would you demand that people should demonstratively eat pork to support food equality? Would you bring pet pigs with you to protest against animal descrimination?

1) Blaming the immigrants for turning up when it is the construction firms are benefiting from them is ludicrous.

2) As we've already discussed at great length, it is right and proper to criticise Russia for violation of a human right. The homophobic laws persecute people for something they are. Consensual gay sex hurts precisely nobody. Likening it to eating pork is mendacious at best.

• Like 2

-Elwood Blues

Should Olympics be hosted in Jerusalem or Mecca, would you demand that people should demonstratively eat pork to support food equality?

Summer Olympics in Mecca? I am not remotely interested in the Olympics, but would pay to watch ladies run 100m hurdles while they are wearing Niqab or Burka in 50C temperatures

Or... "Would you demand that [ladies] should demonstratively" wear culturally offensive clothes that expose anything but the eyes ?

1) Blaming the immigrants for turning up when it is the construction firms are benefiting from them is ludicrous.

2) As we've already discussed at great length, it is right and proper to criticise Russia for violation of a human right. The homophobic laws persecute people for something they are. Consensual gay sex hurts precisely nobody. Likening it to eating pork is mendacious at best.

1) It is their fault - they violate the law by illegally crossing the border. Anything else is secondary. You are not blaming a shop owner for slippery floors because thief broke his neck in attempted burglary at night.

2) When in Rome, do as Romans do. Eating or not eating pork hurts precisely nobody yet considered as offensive by the majority of population in certain locations. Should some country practice necrophilia and will root for fellow necrophiles I doubt they would enjoy the same support gay community have.

MzpydUh.gif

There's also the issue of said laws promoting violence against sexual minorities and Vladimir Putin being a ****ing muppet who has no idea what he's talking about.