Update #71: The Heavy Hitters: Rogues and Rangers

Alright. You, yourself, acknowledged that in addition to Role playing, an RPG requires rules/challenges. Now, what separates an RPG's Rules/challenges from a Sports game's rules/challenges (like Madden, or NBA2k13), or an Adventure game's (like Tomb Raider, or Longest Journey) is that in an RPG, the rewards for overcoming the Challenges IS manifested in the advancement/leveling of the protagonist, instead of just an advancement of the story/game itself.

That doesn't prove anything. There is nothing in Role-Playing Game that is intrinsically tied to an advancement mechanic.

Your explanation is the equivalent to saying "God exists, because the Bible says so".

LOL Bioware's recent releases aside, what Role are you playing in NBA2K13's Career Mode? What exactly are you doing besides controlling a team or a player?

You create the player, teammates react to how you play, have to choose endorsements, have C&C talks with the GM.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I had to look up to find out what sort of game NBA 2K13 is. It sounded like any other sports game. I thought some of the bugs were funny.

* Individual player stat's suddenly (mid-season), stop increasing in Association Mode when running running development drills.

* The scoreboard disappearing mid-game. (Tough neighbourhood! Okay, who stole the scoreboard? :lol: )

That doesn't prove anything. There is nothing in Role-Playing Game that is intrinsically tied to an advancement mechanic.

Challenges (what you admitted must be in a role playing game) IS tied to an advancement mechanic, Kaine. Intrinsically, even. Can't have a role playing game without it. But you can have an adventure game without it.

Your explanation is the equivalent to saying "God exists, because the Bible says so".

No. What I'm saying does not contain an iota of faith.

This whole conversation is more like this:

Me: "before water can be considered frozen, its temperature must be at least 32 degrees or lower."

You: "Prove it!"

Me: "Fine, show me Frozen water with a temperature higher than 32 degrees."

You: "I don't have to. My definition of 'Frozen water" does not require it! You're a Retard!"

LOL Bioware's recent releases aside, what Role are you playing in NBA2K13's Career Mode? What exactly are you doing besides controlling a team or a player?

You create the player, teammates react to how you play, have to choose endorsements, have C&C talks with the GM.

Interesting. If you successfully play that character, and win games with him, Do his stats increase? Edited by Stun

Challenges (what you admitted must be in a role playing game) IS tied to an advancement mechanic, Kaine. Intrinsically, even. Can't have a role playing game without it. But you can have an adventure game without it.

Challenges are not tied to an advancement mechanic at all. You can have challenges without advancement mechanics.

No. What I'm saying does not contain an iota of faith.

This whole conversation is more like this:

Me: "before water can be considered frozen, its temperature must be at least 32 degrees or lower."

You: "Prove it!"

Me: "Fine, show me Frozen water with a temperature higher than 32 degrees."

You: "I don't have to. My definition of 'Frozen water" does not require it! You're a Retard!"

Except that it isn't how it went at all.

Here is how it went:

Me: All a role-playing game needs to be a role-playing game is to be a game with role-playing.

You: No, it needs an advancement mechanic.

Me: An advancement mechanic is not required of either role-playing or game, so it isn't required for a role-paying game.

You: Yes it does, because Role-Playing Games have advancement mechanics.

Interesting. If you successfully play that character, and win games with him, Do his stats increase?

No, you can buy clothes and stuff.

Edited by KaineParker

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

oh is this fight still going? *backs away from thread*

• Like 2

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Challenges are not tied to an advancement mechanic at all. You can have challenges without advancement mechanics.

Not in an RPG, no.

Here is how it went:

Me: All a role-playing game needs to be a role-playing game is to be a game with role-playing.

You: No, it Also needs an advancement mechanic.

Me: An advancement mechanic is not required of either role-playing or game, so it isn't required for a role-paying game.

You: Yes it does, because Role-Playing Games have both advancement mechanics and Role playing.

Fixed. You were actually pretty close though.

Interesting. If you successfully play that character, and win games with him, Do his stats increase?

No, you can buy clothes and stuff.

You sure? So stat increases only happen in Association mode?

Not in an RPG, no.

Here is how it went:

You: No, it Also needs an advancement mechanic.

You: Yes it does, because Role-Playing Games have both advancement mechanics and Role playing.

Fixed. You were actually pretty close though.

I'm coming from this using the definitions of Role-playing and Game, you're coming from a correlation=causation direction.

It's obvious that neither of us will concede, so this back and forth is a waste of time.

You sure? So stat increases only happen in Association mode?

It has been a while, so no.

Regardless, it meets the criteria of allowing Role-Playing, thus being a Role-Playing Game.

Well you do have pnp rpg's like Doctor Who where there's no levels and no xp and you roleplay the characters. It's even called a roleplaying game. There is no story and it's up to the DM and the players. Unfortunately, they seem to get turned into action or adventure video games other than rpgs.

Could you link to a rulebook? I've been wanting to try a good Who PNP for quite a while.

I get what both of you are saying - can I try one?
RPG - a game with roleplaying.

CRPG - a computer rpg - a game-type that has, historically, included some form of advancement mechanic, usually levels or 'skill-points' to upgrade your character(s).

Irrespective of the technical definitions, I think we're all expecting both with PoE and would be quite miffed if we didn't get both.

If someone wants to make a different rpg with no levelling/advancement mechanic, I'll give it a look.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Isn't a levelling mechanic just a simulation of a character gaining in knowledge over time? What's the big fuss? Another futile argument on the nature of role-playing games.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Hmm, will have to order that when I have the money and the time.

Will the Ranger Companions have any effect on storylines? Or will it just be a cookie-cutter assistant to the Ranger?

""...any man who faces battle without concern, is a moonstruck fool.
To be brave is to go forward anyway, no matter how afeared!
That is why I go forward, with so many other brave men."

Will the Ranger Companions have any effect on storylines? Or will it just be a cookie-cutter assistant to the Ranger?

I hope so. At the very least, I'm hoping for some different reactions/options from the presence of a Ranger pet in the party versus the absence of one. Different stuff for different animals (or different animal companion development choices, etc.) would be cool, but just having some modicum of effects from an animal companion in given situations, as compared to none at all, would be pretty great.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I really want to see Priests. >.>

There's so much vagueness surrounding them. Are they heavily armored clerics, squishy white mages, or can they just be built either way (hoping for the latter)? and just how exactly do their abilities work lorewise?

Edited by Fashion Mage

Be fashionable or be dead.