Kingdom Come: Deliverance Kickstarter

LordCrash

I feel like I want to know more about what bugs you about the setting, IDK much about medieval culture and I'm hoping that you can elucidate since every review from historical Youtubers I've seen doesn't seem too bothered.

Well because most historical Youtubers would be mainly bothered by factual inaccuracies. There's a problem with re-creating historical societies - we don't actually know all that much about them as life of peasants was hardly ever really recorded. Still, I'd have liked if Warhorse tried at least.

- Outside of rare instances of writing specifically acknowledging the fact that access to information wasn't quite as easy as it is nowadays, which do exist in the game, everybody seems to be rather knowledgeable about the world near and far. It's be nice if you were given different accounts on this information based on location, information being colored differently with each retelling, but ... Nah. They've all read the stuff on a wiki using their smartphone.

- "We all know our place, we all act like we should." When I mentioned LARP, what I'm talking about is actors assuming rather one-dimensional characteristics assigned to them - the writing is imposing 21st century view of what medieval Europe should have been without at least trying to give characters an array of quirks which would make them ... Y'know, human.

- Overbearing nationalism. I mean, the game takes place 17 years before a massive civil war swooped the country.

- Complete absence of children?

- Everybody treating Henry like he's the Godsend also doesn't gel with me particularly well.

- Mechanically it doesn't bode well when you give the player inaccurate information, It might have been nice if there were more instances of peasants rumors about the raid on Skallig or some of the other events. But when it comes to info the player needs I would draw the line

-A lot of them are fleshed out in activities and additional lines of dialog, the average npc is just there for filler and I'm ok with it.

- There might have been some design choices that led to not having children, such as how to deal with the inevitable child murder.

-Yeah that one bugs me as well, apparently everyone from the beggar to the nobles knows my face. I'm surprised they let me get away with so many crimes.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

The problem with that is the same problem as with any 'Unreliable Narrator' approach- people tend to think that inconsistencies or incorrect information are due to poor proofreading, bad editing and poor writing- and in games, bugs- rather than due to realism. That's why so few take that approach, as well as it being a lot of extra work for little if any reward, indeed per previous it often adds to criticism.

The writing is nothing to write home about anyway :-P At any rate, of course it'd add work and would be difficult to implement so that it doesn't stand in the way of gameplay - just as was difficult to implement any facet of the game to be quasi-realistic, yet Warhorse spent time doing so.

I mean, it's cool that we have a game with no dragons or magic in it, but the biggest difference between Skyrim and medieval Europe wasn't necessarily the setting, concurrent culture is just as important - and Warhorse omitted this, for the most part. And yes, I do understand the romanticized writing is much easier to swallow for modern audience, which should in turn translate to more sales - and KC is, after all, a game that has to sell. Nonetheless, the game isn't even really trying.

And it would be even worse when [sitting in an everyday mass] comes to people.

Nobody would relate to a set beliefs that would be accurately represented.

Did you know that gatherings in churches and chapels not only served for religious purposes, but also to relay information and relevant news about the land? See, that's exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about.

And yes, the contemporary morality and approach to problems would be more difficult to relate to - which, to me, would actually be an extremely interesting part of the experience. I mean, it was Warhorse who promised a very realistic medieval RPG, not me.

But that's a normal problem with historical realism in interactive medium.

Forcing the player to sit through a mass everyday would certainly be realistic, just not very interesting.

- Mechanically it doesn't bode well when you give the player inaccurate information, It might have been nice if there were more instances of peasants rumors about the raid on Skallig or some of the other events. But when it comes to info the player needs I would draw the line

Look, when it comes to gameplay and mechanics, all bets are off. Inaccurate information is something I'd like to see to add flavor, not to mislead palyer. Morrowind tried that and it was a horrible idea.

-A lot of them are fleshed out in activities and additional lines of dialog, the average npc is just there for filler and I'm ok with it.

Perhaps, I'll see later on. It's all kinda combined with my last point of Henry being at the centre of everything - sure, I can see a lord being nice and kind to Henry. I can't see every noble man and woman he's met up to the point I've played to all universally being nice to him and serving most of his needs without a word.

- There might have been some design choices that led to not having children, such as how to deal with the inevitable child murder.

Eh, I still think it's probably just a question of budget. After all, children are not just downscaled models of adults. Nonetheless, it feels jarring, especially considering medieval peasant families being rather ... Large with big rates of infancy/early childhoods deaths.

So, i'm sneaking around the Cuman camp, I sneak killed a bunch of them and put them down in a flooded basement and saved. The game decides that when I reload it will pile all of them on the basement's entrance. So...there I am standing next to a pile of corpses while the patrol comes.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif