Kingdom Come: Deliverance Kickstarter

LordCrash

So I went on a drunken bender with a priest and preached some Jan Hus heresy. It was probably the best drunken shenanigans scenario I've seen pulled off in a video game. It reminded me of my college days. 

Preaching heresy and having unprotected group sex in hey stack? I knew you were hippie :)

Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I think I hit a wall with this game combat system, I can successfully and consistently pull off parries and blocks but combos are impossible in real combat. Due to their timing requirements (which are not realistic BTW) they are near impossible to pull off. It feels ridiculous when you try to remember a sequence and its timing only so that the fact an enemy parried (and slow mo) will throw you off. It is really bothersome, specially when the game gives no actual help with training combos, other than the first one. Even then you have to figure out the timing for yourself and the cursor lighting up does not help since it is mostly off when it comes to everything.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

It is really bothersome, specially when the game gives no actual help with training combos, other than the first one. Even then you have to figure out the timing for yourself and the cursor lighting up does not help since it is mostly off when it comes to everything.

Yeah it needs some tweaking to be sure, but mostly just adequate feedback - you can still pull off combos even if enemies block your strikes (as long as it's not a riposte or perfect block).

That should be conveyed to the player. And not only that, but most combos actually work withing the natural flow of combat, in that your sword automatically moves to the correct position, but this isn't conveyed either or even shown - so when you try to move the cursor to where you assume you have to be, you can easily mess up the combo.

Not a great design, but to be honest I've actually enjoyed having to figure this out. :) Kinda how I assume actually learning to handle a sword would be.

Fortune favors the bald.

All of my cloth stuff falls apart quickly. I know I can repair armor and weapons, but am I missing some sort of way to repair shoes, gloves, and jackets?

I also need to find some better ways to make money. I'm broke all the time. At least I can read now, that was a neat way to handle that in game.

All of my cloth stuff falls apart quickly. I know I can repair armor and weapons, but am I missing some sort of way to repair shoes, gloves, and jackets?

I also need to find some better ways to make money. I'm broke all the time. At least I can read now, that was a neat way to handle that in game.

clobbers kit is for boots, tailor kit for the rest, visit tailor I think he sells both.

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

At a later point you can just loot these high priced armor parts and sell them. That's what I do. Doesn't make me rich, but I'm not poor either. Usually I'm hanging around the 5k coins mark. I rarely buy armor parts (because I'm good in gear now), and most of the repairs can be done with the kits. Everything else I still repair at merchants, which doesn't cost that much.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

You don't really need to 'upgrade' your gear very often, and if you have normal attire and only put on heavy armour at certain moments, the repairing isn't too bad (although it really should be toned down anyway). It's also interesting to larp a little bit on that account, then get caught out in standard cloth when you are ambushed.

"Ha ha, assassins at the banquet! You didn't expect that, did you, Henry?"

"Oh, no, I wear my breastplate to the brothel, the bathhouse, everywhere."

The easiest way to make money is to kill bandits and sell their gear - you get missions from Robard later in the game, sorta like from Preston in Fallout 4.

Make sure to repair swords/axes before you sell them, using the grindstone.

Killing mercenaries (there's a few along the major roads), those that offer to fight for money - is both a good source of armor and items to sell.

Or alternatively, to steal from the castles, there's usually noble clothes items worth 1-2K grochen in each of the master bedrooms. Around midgame I've accumulated +8000g via this route.

The best armor and sword in the game is also free, if you know where to look

If you go east of Rattay, almost to the edge of the map - there's a camp along the major road, where you'll find the best sword and armor in the game.1518660882_1.jpg

Fortune favors the bald.

It is really bothersome, specially when the game gives no actual help with training combos, other than the first one. Even then you have to figure out the timing for yourself and the cursor lighting up does not help since it is mostly off when it comes to everything.

Yeah it needs some tweaking to be sure, but mostly just adequate feedback - you can still pull off combos even if enemies block your strikes (as long as it's not a riposte or perfect block).

That should be conveyed to the player. And not only that, but most combos actually work withing the natural flow of combat, in that your sword automatically moves to the correct position, but this isn't conveyed either or even shown - so when you try to move the cursor to where you assume you have to be, you can easily mess up the combo.

Not a great design, but to be honest I've actually enjoyed having to figure this out. :) Kinda how I assume actually learning to handle a sword would be.

I don't think timing needs to be so precise in real combat, most of the time and depending on the levels of  skill of opponents you can get away with some minor ****ups and still pull off the move you wanted to make.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

The best armor and sword in the game is also free, if you know where to look

If you go east of Rattay, almost to the edge of the map - there's a camp along the major road, where you'll find the best sword and armor in the game.1518660882_1.jpg

Ok, that chest had a bit more than I expected. Holy moly, did they leave that in from testing or something?

I actually feel a bit guilty rolling around in it. At least I'm still too lame to use the weapons.

Yeah leave there if you don't want an unfair advantage too early. I thought you were midgame already.

Edit: and they just removed it in the latest patch, so lucky you hah

Fortune favors the bald.

Kingdom Come: How I learned to look at the cursor and mind the timing.

I finally got it, I'm able to do combos in the midst of combat. The trick was to just look at my sword instead of the icon, that thing is useless.

• Like 1

village_idiot.gif

Indeed.

Have seen a bit of that in the videos, tricky little turkey basters lol

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Ok, freakiest bug I've ever seen: I set up traps to catch nightingales and i'm going around checking them to see if I catch anything. Then I looked down the road and my horse Pebbles  is standing over the stacked cages with the birds inside. WTF, did my horse just went around and gathered the traps for me?

village_idiot.gif

Ok, freakiest bug I've ever seen: I set up traps to catch nightingales and i'm going around checking them to see if I catch anything. Then I looked down the road and my horse Pebbles  is standing over the stacked cages with the birds inside. WTF, did my horse just went around and gathered the traps for me?

I think there is some defect if you have/had them stored on the horse or something...

double post

Edited by Chilloutman

Right, played like 90 minutes of the game's opening.

One one hand, the factual bits are really nice - contemporary names, buildings, tools etc., yeah, I'm enjoying that a ton. It's similar with weapons and craftsmanship and all actors seem to have a routine which makes sense within confines of the world. There's also a lot of little touches and details which are clearly included to make the world feel more realistic, but they're more along the lines of "duh, arrows don't make a loud swooshing sound when they fly" than anything particularly meaningful - still, it's nice that they're there.

Nonetheless, it's rather apparent that Warhorse spent exactly 0 effort on researching actual medieval societies, their habits and culture which was rather different from that of 21st century and instead focused on combat and weapons, which is arguably the least alien part of it, and consequently the least interesting to explore for me. I don't feel like I'm being transported about 600 years into the past - instead, I feel like I'm a part of a really expensive historical LARP in which actors try to pretend medieval Europe was, like, a really cool place to live, except for those who drew the short straw and now have to begrudgingly play the villains.

Still, what is being presented to us here is a rather gorgeous and well-developed world, if you're willing to accept the fact that Warhorse's claims of realism were rather exaggerated and only extend to general setting and mechanics, but don't particularly affect the story. I think I'm going to enjoy it.

Edited by Fenixp

Right, played like 90 minutes of the game's opening.

One one hand, the factual bits are really nice - contemporary names, buildings, tools etc., yeah, I'm enjoying that a ton. It's similar with weapons and craftsmanship and all actors seem to have a routine which makes sense within confines of the world. There's also a lot of little touches and details which are clearly included to make the world feel more realistic, but they're more along the lines of "duh, arrows don't make a loud swooshing sound when they fly" than anything particularly meaningful - still, it's nice that they're there.

Nonetheless, it's rather apparent that Warhorse spent exactly 0 effort on researching actual medieval societies, their habits and culture which was rather different from that of 21st century and instead focused on combat and weapons, which is arguably the least alien part of it, and consequently the least interesting to explore for me. I don't feel like I'm being transported about 600 years into the past - instead, I feel like I'm a part of a really expensive historical LARP in which actors try to pretend medieval Europe was, like, a really cool place to live, except for those who drew the short straw and now have to begrudgingly play the villains.

Still, what is being presented to us here is a rather gorgeous and well-developed world, if you're willing to accept the fact that Warhorse's claims of realism were rather exaggerated and only extend to general setting and mechanics, but don't particularly affect the story. I think I'm going to enjoy it.

I feel like I want to know more about what bugs you about the setting, IDK much about medieval culture and I'm hoping that you can elucidate since every review from historical Youtubers I've seen doesn't seem too bothered.

village_idiot.gif

I feel like I want to know more about what bugs you about the setting, IDK much about medieval culture and I'm hoping that you can elucidate since every review from historical Youtubers I've seen doesn't seem too bothered.

Well because most historical Youtubers would be mainly bothered by factual inaccuracies. There's a problem with re-creating historical societies - we don't actually know all that much about them as life of peasants was hardly ever really recorded. Still, I'd have liked if Warhorse tried at least.

- Outside of rare instances of writing specifically acknowledging the fact that access to information wasn't quite as easy as it is nowadays, which do exist in the game, everybody seems to be rather knowledgeable about the world near and far. It's be nice if you were given different accounts on this information based on location, information being colored differently with each retelling, but ... Nah. They've all read the stuff on a wiki using their smartphone.

- "We all know our place, we all act like we should." When I mentioned LARP, what I'm talking about is actors assuming rather one-dimensional characteristics assigned to them - the writing is imposing 21st century view of what medieval Europe should have been without at least trying to give characters an array of quirks which would make them ... Y'know, human.

- Overbearing nationalism. I mean, the game takes place 17 years before a massive civil war swooped the country.

- Complete absence of children?

- Everybody treating Henry like he's the Godsend also doesn't gel with me particularly well.

- Outside of rare instances of writing specifically acknowledging the fact that access to information wasn't quite as easy as it is nowadays, which do exist in the game, everybody seems to be rather knowledgeable about the world near and far. It's be nice if you were given different accounts on this information based on location, information being colored differently with each retelling, but ... Nah.

The problem with that is the same problem as with any 'Unreliable Narrator' approach- people tend to think that inconsistencies or incorrect information are due to poor proofreading, bad editing and poor writing- and in games, bugs- rather than due to realism. That's why so few take that approach, as well as it being a lot of extra work for little if any reward, indeed per previous it often adds to criticism.

- Complete absence of children?

Well, I think we all know why that's the case. "Racist Gamergate Child Murder Simulator Game Released, Ban This Sick Filth" © 2018, Polygon.

Well because most historical Youtubers would be mainly bothered by factual inaccuracies. There's a problem with re-creating historical societies - we don't actually know all that much about them as life of peasants was hardly ever really recorded. Still, I'd have liked if Warhorse tried at least.

But that's a normal problem with historical realism in interactive medium.

Forcing the player to sit through a mass everyday would certainly be realistic, just not very interesting.

And it would be even worse when it comes to people.

Nobody would relate to a set beliefs that would be accurately represented.

This game is not for me. First of all system requirements not optimized well. Second of all sandbox game go figure what to do. I tried also Elder Scrolls games including Skyrim and best thing with Skyrim was that you can install addons community created content like nudity.